Pre-Screening advice for peterspex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Screening advice for peterspex

How can I improve my photos? I don't understand what's wrong...

I'm a professional photographer and wanted to try my hand at plane spotting. I understand that this community is rigorously screened before approval, but I'm not seeing the issue with all of my photos that have gotten rejected, in particular, this photo of a business jet that hasn't been uploaded to the website yet. At first (photo 538-3), I got rejected for Dark / Underexposed, Dirty Scan / CMOS Dust spots, Vignetting not allowed. So I corrected the few last dust spots that were only visible under harsh contrast filter, and brightened the photo slightly. After I uploaded the corrected photo (538-5) I got rejected due to Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered), Vignetting not allowed. I see that my photo is slightly off centered, but I've seen worse on JP, and the plane simply has slight lead room, which is more aesthetically pleasing than a tight crop at the nose of the plane.

I've read all the upload guidelines and tried following every item as close as possible, but I'm just frustrated with getting rejected over and over for photos that to me, look identical to any other photo you'd see on JP. I don't feel like the effort to take and edit photos is worth it to just keep getting rejected. Can anyone give me some critiques for this photo that won't just get rejected? TIA.​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bleuair; 2023-09-21, 18:53.

You only centered between the nose and the horizontal stabilizer; you need to center between the nose and the winglet.
    I'm not who you think I am.

Or perhaps.

Comment

Hi there, unfortunately both images would be rejected for the same reasons as before. I will go through the rejection reasons as well as some additional ones I see myself.

- Overprocessed (Visible halos, especially visible in equalized view. Avoid using sliders like vibrance, highlights, shadows, clarity, etc... as these can lead to editing halos quickly. It may also be a setting on your camera causing such halos like Nikon's D-Lighting being enabled)

- Centering (Aircraft too low and too far right in frame. Center the aircraft's fuselage vertically and horizontally using the guiding lines of your editing software or with the help of the "center" tool when uploading your image)

- Dirty (Visible dust spots in equalized view. Remove anything resembling a dust spot in your editing software)

- Vignetting (Visibly dark corners. This can pop up due to a high F-stop number combined with a longer focal length. Lower your F-stop number, enable profile corrections, and reduce vignetting in your editing software)

- Backlit (Tail is in its own shadow. This can't be edited out. You must pick a better angle/time where the lighting is better. Because it is backlit, this will also affect contrast and to an extent exposure)

- Contrast (Poor contrast mainly due to it being backlit)

Hope this all helps, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by peterspex View Post
        I'm a professional photographer and wanted to try my hand at plane spotting. I understand that this community is rigorously screened before approval, but I'm not seeing the issue with all of my photos that have gotten rejected, in particular, this photo of a business jet that hasn't been uploaded to the website yet. At first (photo 538-3), I got rejected for Dark / Underexposed, Dirty Scan / CMOS Dust spots, Vignetting not allowed. So I corrected the few last dust spots that were only visible under harsh contrast filter, and brightened the photo slightly. After I uploaded the corrected photo (538-5) I got rejected due to Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered), Vignetting not allowed. I see that my photo is slightly off centered, but I've seen worse on JP, and the plane simply has slight lead room, which is more aesthetically pleasing than a tight crop at the nose of the plane.

I've read all the upload guidelines and tried following every item as close as possible, but I'm just frustrated with getting rejected over and over for photos that to me, look identical to any other photo you'd see on JP. I don't feel like the effort to take and edit photos is worth it to just keep getting rejected. Can anyone give me some critiques for this photo that won't just get rejected? TIA.​
        Fixed the centering/framing for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSA00538-3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	1169082

(it was also too low)

Overprocessed due to the editing halos (avoid shadow/highlight, vibrance, clarity, etc.) and the poor vignetting removal. Image is also quite soft, not sure if it's fixable without seeing the original.

Comment

Working...
        X