John Freeman - Editing Advice/Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Freeman - Editing Advice/Feedback

Would like to have these two looked at and see what is needed to be improved. For future submissions Thank You
    Attached Files

Originally posted by John Freeman View Post
    Would like to have these two looked at and see what is needed to be improved. For future submissions Thank You
    These would be considered badly overprocessed. Whichever effect you've used to try and pull the shadows due to the overcast conditions is really overdone. Avoid any use of shadow/highlights, vibrance, clarity, etc. Images are also badly oversharpened, so the combination of the two make it difficult to tell if the quality's actually there.

In any case, even if better edits reveal the quality to be ok, images taken on overcast days will always be more challenging to get accepted (for aesthetic reasons). You can try re-editing these to see if you can fix the bad processing, but keep in mind there is little chance they would ever be accepted due to the light.

Comment

That was a very good assessment of what I used to pull the shadows. I thought seeing detail in the shadows would be nice, seeing they are there, also was surprised it was over sharpened , seeing most on here are told theirs are soft. But I used a more natural look this time and with minimal sharpening. Maybe I went too far the other way this time. I understand that cloudy day photos are not the best, but if you can just let me know if Im in the ball park with focus, processing. Also, leave them at 72dpi or go for 300dpi sizing? Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a second (or third try) on the Frontier. I noticed it was still dark.
        Attached Files

Comment

That was a very good assessment of what I used to pull the shadows. I thought seeing detail in the shadows would be nice, seeing they are there, also was surprised it was over sharpened , seeing most on here are told theirs are soft. But I used a more natural look this time and with minimal sharpening. Maybe I went too far the other way this time. I understand that cloudy day photos are not the best, but if you can just let me know if Im in the ball park with focus, processing. Also, leave them at 72dpi or go for 300dpi sizing? Thanks.
          Processing is acceptable now, but AA looks a bit soft or heat hazed, and the NK still oversharpened. Both would certainly be rejected for contrast, as mentioned. Sizing in dpi is for printing images and is irrelevant for uploading to the web.

Here is a second (or third try) on the Frontier. I noticed it was still dark.
          American you mean? As I said looks either a little soft or heat hazed. You can post full-res if you want confirmation. Poor light (on both images) means both would be non-starters for acceptance, so brightening won't make a difference.​

Comment

Working...
          X