Thomas Harding - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Harding - editing advice

Hello, I've been having trouble lately with trying to upload​ to Jetphotos for photos that have been taken of aircraft within the sky. For the photo below of an Etihad A380, when I scale the image down to the minimum upload size of 1280 pixels x 720 pixels, as well as making sure it fits the 16x9 ratio requirement, the image file size is below the 250 KB minimum requirement. I have tried everything from using a different software to scale down the image such as GIMP and Paint.net, to increasing the camera's output file size to maximum, as well as making sure the aircraft takes up nearly all of the image when initially taken, therefore requiring very little cropping. However none of these work as the largest file size always seems to be around 100 KB lower than the minimum, for this example at 154 KB. I have noticed that images of aircraft in the sky that I've taken have much lower file sizes than images of aircraft on the ground, which does make sense since there are more details in the image of buildings, the ground etc. That is why I have managed to get photos onto Jetphotos before when I visited Schiphol. However I have seen many people be successful when uploading a photo of an aircraft in just a sky background with no problem. Can someone help me knowing how I can fix this? (p.s. my camera lens is a AF-P NIKKOR 18-55mm, and am using a data cable to transfer the photos from my camera to my PC at 6000x4000 pixels in JPG format)
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Thomas Harding View Post
    Hello, I've been having trouble lately with trying to upload​ to Jetphotos for photos that have been taken of aircraft within the sky. For the photo below of an Etihad A380, when I scale the image down to the minimum upload size of 1280 pixels x 720 pixels, as well as making sure it fits the 16x9 ratio requirement, the image file size is below the 250 KB minimum requirement. I have tried everything from using a different software to scale down the image such as GIMP and Paint.net, to increasing the camera's output file size to maximum, as well as making sure the aircraft takes up nearly all of the image when initially taken, therefore requiring very little cropping. However none of these work as the largest file size always seems to be around 100 KB lower than the minimum, for this example at 154 KB. I have noticed that images of aircraft in the sky that I've taken have much lower file sizes than images of aircraft on the ground, which does make sense since there are more details in the image of buildings, the ground etc. That is why I have managed to get photos onto Jetphotos before when I visited Schiphol. However I have seen many people be successful when uploading a photo of an aircraft in just a sky background with no problem. Can someone help me knowing how I can fix this? (p.s. my camera lens is a AF-P NIKKOR 18-55mm, and am using a data cable to transfer the photos from my camera to my PC at 6000x4000 pixels in JPG format)
    If you don't already, try to take photos on your camera in NEF RAW as it makes the image kb size bigger I believe

Comment

Hi Thomas,

with an original pixel size of 6000x4000 the photo out of the camera should have several MB, even in jpg. Sure You use the highest quality settings in Your camera?
      I don't know, what settings You are using in GIMP / Paint.net. When I open Your pic in GIMP, do a little sharpening - the photo is soft - and save it with the highest quality settings, it has 454 KB.

By the way: I see heavy halos, esp. above the cockpit and the engine in the front. There is also vignetting.

Greets
      Stefan

Comment

Ok thanks a lot for the help. Yes it seemed to work sharpening the photo and also making sure export setting are at max. Sorry for confusion, they are around 1.2 MB when first transferred.

Comment

Hello, is it possible to remove haloing using editing? I see that most of my photos seem to have very large halos around the aircraft wings and front, even when unedited. Otherwise, is there a way I can prevent taking photos and getting halos?

Edit: I found out that active D-lighting causes it so now I've switched it off, hopefully that helps for next time. Guess the photos I've already taken will just have to be part of my personal collection.

Comment

Hello, may I have pre-screening advice on this photo, thanks. (whether it will be accepted/rejected and for what reasons) Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0332 jetphotos edit.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	1177133

Comment

Hello, may I have pre-screening advice on this photo, thanks. (whether it will be accepted/rejected and for what reasons)
              Overprocessed (editing halos visible).

Comment

Thanks. May i have pre-screening advice on this photo please? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0303 jetphotos edit.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	1177243

Comment

Thanks. May i have pre-screening advice on this photo please?
                  Overprocessed.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I've only got to fix the over-processing issue within camera settings, since I think they have halos even when unedited. I did turn off active D-lighting, but maybe I need the photos in NEF RAW first and then convert them to jpg in software later? I can't think of anything else I can do to fix this.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I've only got to fix the over-processing issue within camera settings, since I think they have halos even when unedited. I did turn off active D-lighting, but maybe I need the photos in NEF RAW first and then convert them to jpg in software later? I can't think of anything else I can do to fix this.
                      Yeah, I would try starting with the raw file and exporting with all settings at 0. That should eliminate any halos. You can then try different export settings to find out which ones are causing the halos.

Comment

Hello, I'm back with some more photos, this time taken in NEF RAW and edited in gimp. I'd like screening advice on this photo please. I have a feeling there are a number of issues though since the weather wasn't too great. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0505 jetphotos edit.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	1179583

Comment

Contrast, probably not fixable
                          Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
                          If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
                          ——————————————————————————

Comment

Hello, I'm back with some more photos, this time taken in NEF RAW and edited in gimp. I'd like screening advice on this photo please. I have a feeling there are a number of issues though since the weather wasn't too great.
                            Yes, weather was quite poor. Please move on from this image.

Comment

Hello, may I have pre-screening advice on this please? sun was out so this might be the one. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0599 jetphotos edit.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	1180943

Comment

Working...
                              X