victhor393 - editing advice/prescreening request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• victhor393 - editing advice/prescreening request

​Hi, a few weeks ago, I uploaded some pictures to JP but they were rejected. Since I discovered this forum section, I figured it was worth posting these pictures here to get some advice on what to improve on them. These images have been further edited from what I submitted for screening originally.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5428.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	1179214
    This image was originally rejected for contrast and dark. I tried to brighten it, compared to the version I uploaded originally. This was taken during late afternoon, so I fear it may be unfixable.​ The colors also seem a bit strange to my eyes. The orange seems quite reddish. It wasn't outside of sRGB gamut, so I'm not sure what happened here.

Name:	_MG_4290.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	1179215
    This one was originally rejected for dark and bad color. Additionally, the screener said it had a "purple tint". So I brightened this image by increasing strength of highlights and also shifted white balance a few steps towards green. I'm also concerned that the grass color may be "unnatural", as one screener noted when I tried to submit this picture previously. The grass was very dry that day.

Name:	_MG_5457.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	1179216
    This one was originally rejected for soft, too far and dust spot. I edited the dust spot, cropped it closer to the subject, and increased strength of sharpness. It seems alright to me, but I'm not sure if this angle and lighting are considered acceptable. Maybe it's justifiable as pictures of this reg are very rare in the DB? I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by victhor393 View Post
    ​Hi, a few weeks ago, I uploaded some pictures to JP but they were rejected. Since I discovered this forum section, I figured it was worth posting these pictures here to get some advice on what to improve on them. These images have been further edited from what I submitted for screening originally.
    Hi,

1. compression, contrast. the poor contrast is not fixable due to the cloudy conditions. you'll generally need clear skies (unfiltered/direct sunlight) if you want easy acceptances.
    2. compression, and still dark. aim for something like the right side here:

Views:	364
Size:	565.7 KB
ID:	1179234

3. compression, soft, noisy, dark. Not sure this one is fixable.

All of the images you posted here are heavily compressed, so I hope that's just an error you made when preparing the images for uploading to the forum.

Comment

I saved all 3 with compression level 80, that could be why. The images I had uploaded for screening were saved with level 100. I have done the following changes to the photo of the 747: raised shadows, reduced highlight compression, increased contrast and saturation, increased local contrast/clarity. The brightness level seems similar to what you suggest.

Views:	331
Size:	804.9 KB
ID:	1179242

Comment

Looks ok to me.

Comment

I saved all 3 with compression level 80, that could be why. The images I had uploaded for screening were saved with level 100. I have done the following changes to the photo of the 747: raised shadows, reduced highlight compression, increased contrast and saturation, increased local contrast/clarity. The brightness level seems similar to what you suggest.
          ]
          A bit soft, but would otherwise be ok for me.

Comment

I think it has improved a lot thanks to your tips, thanks. It looks much better now, although, in my opinion, I think it needs just a touch more contrast, along with a little more sharpness, as suggested. Hopefully it will be accepted, once my upload slots clear.

Views:	195
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1179361

What about these?

Name:	_MG_4143.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	1179362 This one seems rather soft.

Name:	_MG_4224.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	1179363
            This also seems quite soft and has some visible CA and heathaze.

Name:	_MG_5406.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	607.6 KB
ID:	1179364
            This one seems pretty good... It may be a little dark, as it was taken during late afternoon. It was hard to brighten it without getting the red channel clipping on the orange accents of this livery.

Comment

3 is heat hazed, not fixable, 4 is soft and 2 is blurry, also 1 is a bit soft
              Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
              If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
              ——————————————————————————

Comment

I think it has improved a lot thanks to your tips, thanks. It looks much better now, although, in my opinion, I think it needs just a touch more contrast, along with a little more sharpness, as suggested. Hopefully it will be accepted, once my upload slots clear.

Views:	195
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1179361

What about these?

Name:	_MG_4143.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	1179362 This one seems rather soft.

Name:	_MG_4224.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	1179363
                This also seems quite soft and has some visible CA and heathaze.

Views:	182
ID:	1179364
                This one seems pretty good... It may be a little dark, as it was taken during late afternoon. It was hard to brighten it without getting the red channel clipping on the orange accents of this livery.

1-ok
                2-compress, contrast, blurry (front gear)
                3- heat haze (not fixable)
                4- soft, overprocessed

Comment

What about these?
                  1-2. quality's not really there. I would leave these two.
                  3. noisy and a bit dark/low. might be fixable.

Comment

Thanks for all your tips. I tried to do some changes to the last photo. It's a really hard edit. There are few areas outside the gamut. It seems sharp enough to me, and brightness is close to other pictures on JP taken in similar lighting, so I must be getting close.

Views:	109
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	1179738

Comment

Thanks for all your tips. I tried to do some changes to the last photo. It's a really hard edit. There are few areas outside the gamut. It seems sharp enough to me, and brightness is close to other pictures on JP taken in similar lighting, so I must be getting close.
                      Sharpening is ok; contrast is too low and centering still off.

Comment

I increased contrast on this version, perhaps too much so. Also adjusted the composition such that the fuselage is approximately at the center of the image:

Views:	97
ID:	1179779

Comment

The livery actually looks a bit undersaturated, i increased saturation and contrast a bit and it doesent look soo flat now.

Name:	GOL EXAMPE-1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	1179782

Comment

According to my editing software (RawTherapee), increasing saturation just slightly beyond the point I left it at causes the orange to go outside sRGB gamut (clip), so I left it slightly unsaturated from the point where it starts to clip.

Comment

That will be a problem

Comment

Working...
                              X