Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who needs help with their scans / rejects?? We can help you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate post

Comment

• Originally posted by BangaloreAviation View Post
      ........I use a 300mm f/4 without VR, so I need to keep my shutter up at 1/800th or 1/1000th. That forces me to shoot at f5.6 f/6.7. For f/11 my speed drops to 1/640 and 1/500 which induces either motion or vibration blur. So I typically choose Shutter Priority and set to 1/800th or higher.......
      There is a rule of thumb that says that, with practise, it should be possible to shoot at a shutter speed no lower than the focal length being used. e.g. 300mm = 1/300sec or faster.

The keywords to that statement are "with practise."

There is no replacement for practise, especially with panning and one of the best places to practise panning is on traffic on a fairly fast road (and from what I know of India, there aren't many SLOW roads !!)

Set aperture priority, f8, ISO200 and continuous focus.

How you hold your camera is important and also how you stand. Choose where you intend to take the shot and place your body so that you are at 90 degrees to that spot. Support under the lens with your left hand and keep your elbows in.
      Swivel from the waist to point in the direction the subject is coming from. Half fill your lungs and hold your breath. Initially aim slightly in front of the subject and start to pan. Allow the subject to catch up with the centre focus box and pick up the same panning speed to hold it in centre frame. Once in centre frame hold the first pressure on the shutter button to maintain focus. Shoot an image just before the intended point of shot and fire off 4 or 5 frames as you pan through the intended point of shot.
      Remember, pan from the waist with the camera firmly held and elbows in. In this way you are using your entire upper body weight and a heavy weight tends to move more easily without wavering and shaking...and that is where camera shake comes from, not the camera but the body holding it.

If you can shoot fast traffic, you can shoot aircraft. Just be careful not to upset any motorists.

Oh, by the way, you can breathe again now !!

For the signature banner, from the homepage go to Members...User Administration...Forum Banner and follow the instructions,
      Last edited by brianw999; 2009-04-01, 14:31.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        The keywords to that statement are "with practise."

There is no replacement for practise, especially with panning and one of the best places to practise panning is on traffic on a fairly fast road (and from what I know of India, there aren't many SLOW roads !!)

Set aperture priority, f8, ISO200 and continuous focus.

Oh, by the way, you can breathe again now !!

For the signature banner, from the homepage go to Members...User Administration...Forum Banner and follow the instructions,
        Thanks for the tips. Will practise. Can I post some pics on this forum for viewing and suggestions before submitting ?

Comment

• Sure, there is a specific pre-screen forum for that purpose:
          Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Hello all.

I recently got this one rejected for being Over Processed or Badly processed.

I would like some tips on this..

Thanks in advanced.

Comment

• Hi screening bunch!

I had this recent rejection for two reasons; the first is "horizon unlevel" which I will check and the second one is the dreaded, hated and just uncomprehensible "digital manipulation" (I know this rejection reason has been debated a lot on the site and forum)

Could I have some more explanations as to why this rejection since this particular photo was taken in really good light and the editing was really the basic workflow with nothing fancy?

Thanks!

Comment

• Alejandro, if you check the lamp post on the right, it looks as if the top had been cut off, perhaps trying to fix a dust spot or so.

If we were wrong, it would help, if we knew, what this is, maybe the antenna of a huge cockroach or so?

Comment

• There are many big animals in Colombia but I've yet to see a cockroach so big!

It is a lamp post but it seems the light fixture was removed, I checked the original photo and it is just like that. In this case, how can I reupload the photo knowing that I'm the one seeing how it looks in the original?

Comment

• Very simple: fix the horizon thingy and upload again, leaving a remark to screeners with a hint to this topic here.

I'm glad it's not a cockroach ....

Comment

• Hello,

I got the following image rejected due to horizon unlevel:

after appealing I get the quick answer, that the buildings are leaning to the right!? When applying a grid to this picture in PSE everything looks o.k. for me. Now I'm a bit confused

Thomas

Comment

• If I look at the bulding with the roll gate that is the most left of the 3 and the one most in the cnetre of the photo, then I see that it does lean to the right.

Comment

• I had this rampshot rejected for.........not beiing a rampshot ????

I understand all the other rejection reasons, but screeners comment was :" Not a rampshot. Main subject is the first bizjet."
                          That is worth an explanation, as it looks more a ramp-overvieuw than a photo of a particular aircraft, right?
                          If I upload with the regi of the first aircraft I expect a "bad cropping"- rejection.Do you understand my doubts in this?

gr,

Freek

Comment

• Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
                            I had this rampshot rejected for.........not beiing a rampshot ????

I understand all the other rejection reasons, but screeners comment was :" Not a rampshot. Main subject is the first bizjet."
                            That is worth an explanation, as it looks more a ramp-overvieuw than a photo of a particular aircraft, right?
                            If I upload with the regi of the first aircraft I expect a "bad cropping"- rejection.Do you understand my doubts in this?

gr,

Freek

Freek

Firstly you spell Grr with a minimum of two Rs, and it takes at least a GRRRRR! to get my attention under normal circumstances. So this is your lucky day!

Does this answer your question?

[photoid=6425348]

I could look for other examples but then you only did a Gr, right!

Have a nice day.
                            Last edited by cja; 2009-04-09, 16:11.

Comment

• Originally posted by cja View Post
                              Freek

Firstly you spell Grr with a minimum of two Rs, and it takes at least a GRRRRR! to get my attention under normal circumstances. So this is your lucky day!
                              I had to look twice to see where you are talking about.............

But hahahahaha; what a bloody mistake of mine.
                              "gr" is a Dutch abbreviation for "groet", or in English ....Regards

So; just a miscommunication in different languages.

Hopefully you're now more willing to explain my question.

Thanks

Freek

Comment

• Freek if you open up the picture I used as an example you will see that this was not uploaded as a ramp shot but a picture of the Hawk which is first in line. However a rejection for bad cropping did not follow. As long as the composition is good, such shots are considered for acceptance. That also goes for other shots where the main subject is not full in the frame. In short you need to make the shot look interesting to get it accepted.

On the other hand this is a ramp shot because it very clearly shows a large open area of the ramp even though there is an aircraft in the foreground which is the full width of the frame.

[photoid=6381783]

So if you want to upload a Ramp shot please make sure it shows a significant part of the ramp and not just a few square meters of concrete with an aircraft badly centred.

I hope this helps but if its not clear please ask.
                                Last edited by cja; 2009-04-10, 08:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X