Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colour Space for uploads - sRGB NOT Adobe RGB please.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour Space for uploads - sRGB NOT Adobe RGB please.

A note for all up-loaders

I am seeing a lot more images being uploaded using the Adobe RGB color space. Please be aware that most browsers will render an image in the sRGB color space. So what happens when you upload an image using the Adobe RGB color space which has a slightly larger color gamut than sRGB ? Your browser will encounter some colors that are outside it's sRGB gamut so it will render them to a color inside the sRGB color space. Basically it picks a color it thinks is closest to the one it can not replicate.

The way I can spot these shots, skys look dark and have an almost purple hue to them, images can look slightly under exposed as well.

Your image will look fine in Photoshop as it is used to working in many color spaces, the problem happens when it is viewed in a browser.

You are gaining nothing by using the Adobe RGB color space unless you are printing your image on a printer that can handle that color space. Even then I would challenge people to tell the difference between a printed image in both color spaces.

If you upload using Adobe RGB you stand a higher chance of getting rejections for dark and or bad color. So please process your images for upload using the sRGB color space.

Thanks..

Jid

Hello,

Thanks for the information.
    I wanted to check it out for myself. This can be find within the colorsettings right ? I use Adobe Photoshop CS4.

Regards,

Bjorn

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn1979 View Post
      This can be find within the colorsettings right?
      It sure can! Edit-Color Settings and the working RGB space should be sRGB. There's an option down the bottom of the Color Settings window that says "Profile Mismatches" and there's a box you can tick that says "Ask When Opening". This is a very handy feature because it means if you accidentally knock your camera into Adobe RGB then when you open the image in Photoshop it will recognise that the embedded colour space is different to the working one and give you an option to change it.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Yes, i found it. Settings were good and now also gonna us the feature for "Profile Mismatches".

Thanks guys.

Comment

By default Photoshop has the 3 color warnings switched off. I would recomend that they are all switched on.

Jid

Comment

sRGB

Hi,

I just got a rejection re of one of my photo and one of the reason was stipulating that I was probably using Adobe RGB instead of sRGB.

I check the color settings for the program Photoshop CS3

sRGB is in use.

regards

Pierre

Comment

No, the photo clearly has AdobeRGB as embedded color profile. Can be checked with any EXIF viewer. You need Photoshop to convert any color profile into sRGB.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Pierre,

The EXIF data on your image shows the colour space to be "Uncalibrated"

You have probably got sRGB selected in CS4 but is it also selected in your camera ?

You can set sRGB in PS CS4 (Your working colour profile) and also ask it to warn you if there is a mismatch with your CS4 profile. You can then select an option to convert the incoming image to your working profile (sRGB)

Go to http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthre...l=1#post590640

You will now be working and saving using sRGB.
                Last edited by brianw999; 2015-12-27, 18:18.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I used to save as RGB, never touched anything, but now everytime I edit in CS5 I have to edit the color profile to sRBG even though my camera color is set to sRGB. Any way to make this default in CS5? I am shooting RAW.
                  Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Actually Jan, I get the same problem. Even though the camera (Nikon D7000) is set to sRGB I still have to use the automated method described in my post.

Why ?....I don't know. Possibly there is some kind of Nikon coding that doesn't match the Photoshop idea of sRGB. I also shoot in RAW so maybe that has something to do with it.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Actually Jan, I get the same problem. Even though the camera (Nikon D7000) is set to sRGB I still have to use the automated method described in my post.

Why ?....I don't know. Possibly there is some kind of Nikon coding that doesn't match the Photoshop idea of sRGB. I also shoot in RAW so maybe that has something to do with it.
                      Perhaps we must do a google search... Thanks
                      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Hi all,
                        thanks for this important info.
                        It 'almost a year that I have changed my laptop and installed the CS5
                        I struggled to set the color space, and after many tests with the help of colleagues I set graphics work as the space enclosed diagram.

I felt that using the workspace sRGB colors were more saturated than the RGB space.

Of only sRGB is used when the photo must be printed (so say the camera manual) and RGB images must be when working with graphics programs.

I would like to submit two photographs placed near, what is my right, the left Varani Ennio, my husband, who has been rejected for the photo "under / hue / saturation - bad color"

My Photos for this reason I have never had rejected

Thank you all for the invaluable assistance
                        Kiss Monica

Comment

Buongiorno Monica

For uploading to websites, use the following settings:
                          - "Spazi di lavoro" -> "RGB": select "sRGB IE......" instead of "Monitor RGB - Adobe RGB"
                          - In "Criteri di gestione colori" -> "RGB" there must be an option to convert to existing color space, no idea how they call it in italian.
                          - Still in "Criteri di gestione colori" -> "Profili non existenti" mark both options.

For professional printing I suggest Adobe RGB, which is the most used color space in printing.

The use of Adobe RGB is not an automatic rejection reason. But if someone edits a photo with a strong warm tone (more red) and saves with Adobe RGB, it will look OK in Photoshop but perhaps too purple on the web browser. Neutral colors will look still OK on web browwers even using Adobe RGB.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi LX-A343,
                            thanks for your advice
                            I changed the color space as indicated by you and Brian with its table
                            I tried to retouch a photo.
                            The same shot that I've already uploaded and accepted on JP
                            Can you tell me how you see the browser??
                            It would be nice to know if this is ok
                            Should I try reloading the same photo and ask the screener if it is improved?
                            Thank you very much for your help, very nice to us

Greetings to LSZH
                            beautiful airport
                            RGB

sRGB

Tks to all
                            Monica
                            Last edited by monique; 2012-01-21, 17:43.

Comment

Buona sera, Monica

At least here the difference is obvious, the 2nd photo looks better. It is also a classic example, where Adobe RGB can kill the photo, as it has already warm colors due to the winter morning light.

Cheers from ZRH, which would look far better, if we finally had some snow

Comment

Working...
                              X