Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about principle, not specifically about these pictures

Hello all,

I have a question about principle, not specifically about the pictures attached here, but a matter of principle.

According to the criteria, we have to upload the version A.
    But, I think that everyone will agree with me, that version B is more interesting than Version A.

Although I have seen on this site some photos from various places around the world, with a waiver of the criteria in such cases, as I am presenting here, I would like to know what do you think about this issue.

I repeat: These photos are just for example, but the question is the principle issue, and I'd hope to get many of answers and opinions from the crew members and from other photographers participating here.

With best regards and respect,
    Erez.

I think I understand what you are getting at Erez. You feel that JP should be accepting images that comply with the "Rule of Thirds" theory when applied to a whole image. ?
    Entirely understandable.......if JP was a "Whole Image" or "Artistically and Aesthetically pleasing" database.....

......which it isn't. JP is an aviation database and requires images of an individual aircraft to be centred vertically and horizontally in the vast number of cases.
    Note the get out clause at the end there though, i.e. "vast number of cases". JP does occasionally accept off centre images but they need to be outstandingly different to be accepted. The second off centre example that you give does indeed meet the Rule of Thirds in that there is a bit of land at the bottom, an aircraft in the upper middle and some sky at the top. Other than that, what extreme interest is there to the eye ? None really.
    Compare your example to this image and I think you'll find it answers your question.
    [photoid=7206755]
    Last edited by brianw999; 2011-10-14, 00:11.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I honestly fail to see why the second one is better. It is not even a sound "rule of thirds" composition. Or to give a simple answer, why should we accept version 2, if you could show the ground and an centred aircraft if taking the shot a few seconds later with the plane lower in the frame?

Comment

Hi,
        Many thanks to two crew members about the answers.
        Perhaps I did not understand a small part in the answers, especially certain expressions, perhaps because of language difficulties, but the main points are very clear to me.

I just like to add, if I had a good quality picture of the plane above the ground, according to Stefan's suggestion, I would not bring the above examples. (It was not possible because of heat haze...)

Anyway, I stressed above that this was just examples.

Have a good weekend,
        Erez.
        Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-14, 14:20.

Comment

Interesting topic. I do agree with the answers given by Seahawk and Brian. I make the same 'mistake' sometimes. It happens that I come home with a nice photograph: nice airplane, nice landscape. Then the cropping starts ... darn, if I centre the plane, away goes my landscape.
          Simple solution: next time, press the button one or a few seconds later ... et voilą!
          Stunning picture, the one that Brian used as example!

Hinkelbein

Comment

The classic rules of composition are meant for composed settings. In aviation photography (and especially with landing airliners) you will very rarely be able to do a composition that follows the rule of third, because we have to remember that it is not only a horizontal division in 1/3 but also a vertical. And the points of interest should be placed and the intersections of the grid formed by that division.

It is not easy but can be done if you are lucky and have a shooting spot, where youcan work the composition.

And surely you can go off-centre, if the composition adds to the photo:

[photoid=7147367]
            [photoid=6691913]

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks again for all responses.
              Of course I always try, but not always what I want that's what I get in ...

Have a good weekend.

Best regards,
              Erez.

Comment

I uploaded a few shots like this and the screeners were nice enough to accept them

[photoid=6647105]

I recently uploaded this shot as I wanted to show a construction project which will be a very cool addition to my local airport (and thankfully it was accepted too).

[photoid=7218067]

Comment

Working...
                X