ErmakDimon - Prescreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Those photos are too poorly lit to be acceptable, but the debris in the sky is not necessarily a reason for rejection.
    Oh alright, could you maybe please help me with the 5 photos above too? Thanks

Comment

Once again hello JP team, please prescreen the following photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2491-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	959.4 KB
ID:	1028176

Name:	IMG_1798-3.jpg
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	1028177

Name:	IMG_2019-3.jpg
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	1028178

Also, would framing such as this be accepted?

Name:	IMG_2435-2.jpg
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	1028179

Name:	IMG_1963-2.jpg
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	1028180

I know neither the photos nor the editing are the best, but I'm always trying to improve so if you could point out what is wrong with either the photos themselves or the editing would be great

Regards, Dmitrii

Comment

Originally posted by ErmakDimon View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16014[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16015[/ATTACH]

I know neither the photos nor the editing are the best, but I'm always trying to improve so if you could point out what is wrong with either the photos themselves or the editing would be great

Regards, Dmitrii
        Hi,
        Framing on #4 & #5 will not be accepted. Both are cutting off components like the nose and stabilizer. They look awkward too.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16014[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16015[/ATTACH]

Regards, Dmitrii
          Hi Dimitri

The rule for me about photography is knowing when not to take images. Im afraid 2-5 are never going to work for you on JP, the conditions are not right. That said you need to keep practicing, ask others and share your work here as many will help you.

Image one is a good effort. It was not centred (I've changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 )and needed levels adjustment and some contrast - I've attached what i did. Bear in mind I'm adjusting an already edited file and losing some quality in the process but you should hopefully see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
            Hi Dimitri

The rule for me about photography is knowing when not to take images. Im afraid 2-5 are never going to work for you on JP, the conditions are not right. That said you need to keep practicing, ask others and share your work here as many will help you.

Image one is a good effort. It was not centred (I've changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 )and needed levels adjustment and some contrast - I've attached what i did. Bear in mind I'm adjusting an already edited file and losing some quality in the process but you should hopefully see the difference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16034[/ATTACH]
            Hi 777MAN, yeah I know 2-5 weren't good. I just spent 2 hours on that spot and hoped something would work, at least.
            Now that I can go spotting more frequently I'll definitely improve faster. It's a little hard due to the lack of available guidelines for shooting in bad conditions.

With that said, thanks for the help with the first photo, I already noticed it was not centered and changed it a bit.

Comment

Hi JP team, please prescreen:

UPD: Removed dust spots

Name:	IMG_3051-3.jpg
Size:	752.7 KB
ID:	1028345

Name:	IMG_3476-3.jpg
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	1028346

Name:	IMG_3617-2.jpg
Size:	775.3 KB
ID:	1028347

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Size:	786.4 KB
ID:	1028348

Name:	IMG_3030-2.jpg
Size:	974.6 KB
ID:	1028349

I have been trying longer (1/50-30s) exposures.

Regards, Dmitrii

Comment

UPD: see lower post

Regards, Dmitrii
                Hi Dimitri,
                I'm afraid all are either blurry and/or soft. Also, all are dirty. As you decrease shooting speed, F value goes up, increasing depth of field and making a dirty sensor more than evident. Your will need to clean thoroughly before uploading future shots.

There are also other issues like overprocesing and contrast.

regards
                Cristian (not JP screener)

Comment

Originally posted by crisquijano View Post
                  Hi Dimitri,
                  I'm afraid all are either blurry and/or soft. Also, all are dirty. As you decrease shooting speed, F value goes up, increasing depth of field and making a dirty sensor more than evident. Your will need to clean thoroughly before uploading future shots.

regards
                  Cristian (not JP screener)
                  well that's sad, good thing I took some other shots with a higher shooting speed! thanks.

Comment

It's a little hard due to the lack of available guidelines for shooting in bad conditions.

The guide is simple - bad conditions, go to the Pub

More seriously, as a beginner I would really recommend only shooting in good weather. Bad weather is extremely tricky, even for experimented photographers

Regards
                    Alex

Comment

UPD: Removed dust spots
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16204[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16205[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16206[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16208[/ATTACH]

Regards, Dmitrii
                      Hi, Dmitrii.

Must admit I read your shutter speeds and thought it must be a typo? Are you really using shutter speeds of 1/30 - 1/50? Those speeds are for the experienced photographer and in aviation/ sports photography generally used when panning subjects (with lots of practice) . So your first image (redwings) if that’s at 1/30 it’s a good effort although it doesn’t display anything like the type of background blur I’d expect. The taxing aircraft may fall into those speeds (if used) again unnecessarily slow and asking for issues.

I am on my iPad so can’t comment on the photos in detail presently, however Cristian has as above.

From what I am seeing some of the weather your are working in also isn’t ideal, indeed I wouldn’t myself. That said the advice I’d give you is to stick with parameters that generally work in decent light i.e. 1/500 F8 and a low iso, continuous burst, Al Servo, central focus point(s), cross type ideally for me (subject your camera/lens combo).

So for me it’s work at getting it right in camera first, which continues to be a learning curve for me and why I enjoy photography.

Second - get a workflow that works for you, meeting the upload guidelines here and keep using the pre screen forum, maybe unpick an image at a time that had different challenges associated with it.

There are some very good articles/ posts/ links on here and I still visit/ revisit from time to time.

Brian put this together https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...l=1#post579113

Its excellent and should help you with amongst others things - Dust, halos etc....

Keep with it

Regards Tony

Comment

Great Post Tony, can't agree more !

Comment

Hi, Dmitrii.

Must admit I read your shutter speeds and thought it must be a typo? Are you really using shutter speeds of 1/30 - 1/50? Those speeds are for the experienced photographer and in aviation/ sports photography generally used when panning subjects (with lots of practice) . So your first image (redwings) if that’s at 1/30 it’s a good effort although it doesn’t display anything like the type of background blur I’d expect. The taxing aircraft may fall into those speeds (if used) again unnecessarily slow and asking for issues.

I am on my iPad so can’t comment on the photos in detail presently, however Cristian has as above.

From what I am seeing some of the weather your are working in also isn’t ideal, indeed I wouldn’t myself. That said the advice I’d give you is to stick with parameters that generally work in decent light i.e. 1/500 F8 and a low iso, continuous burst, Al Servo, central focus point(s), cross type ideally for me (subject your camera/lens combo).

So for me it’s work at getting it right in camera first, which continues to be a learning curve for me and why I enjoy photography.

Second - get a workflow that works for you, meeting the upload guidelines here and keep using the pre screen forum, maybe unpick an image at a time that had different challenges associated with it.

There are some very good articles/ posts/ links on here and I still visit/ revisit from time to time.

Brian put this together https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...l=1#post579113

Its excellent and should help you with amongst others things - Dust, halos etc....

Keep with it

Regards Tony
                          Hi Tony,

First of all thanks for the advice! It is indeed 1/30-1/50s, I just wanted to experiment and see what I get.

If I use F8 on low ISO (under 500) all my photos end up being highly underexposed. That day I shot with F8 in Av mode and 400-800 ISO, here are the results:
                          (please prescreen)

Name:	IMG_3201-2.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1028359

Name:	IMG_3393-2.jpg
Size:	914.8 KB
ID:	1028360

Name:	IMG_3781-5.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1028361

Name:	IMG_3431.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1028362

Also, would such shot be acceptable as cockpit?

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg
Size:	925.0 KB
ID:	1028363

Comment

Hi Tony,

First of all thanks for the advice! It is indeed 1/30-1/50s, I just wanted to experiment and see what I get.

If I use F8 on low ISO (under 500) all my photos end up being highly underexposed. That day I shot with F8 in Av mode and 400-800 ISO, here are the results:
                            (please prescreen)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16222[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16223[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16224[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16225[/ATTACH]

Also, would such shot be acceptable as cockpit?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16226[/ATTACH]
                            Hi Dimitrii

1-4 are all suffering from 'Heat Haze' on the airframe, not fixable I am afraid in my view. In the upload guidelines there some examples, a quick place to look is leading edges i.e. wings, horizontal stabiliser amongst others etc... https://cdn.jetphotos.com/custom/018-Heatdistortion.jpg

As to exposure, they are better lit and it would be useful as I indicated before if you could say take one image (not heat hazed) and give your camera settings including time of day shot when posting another for comment?

The cockpit shot is a nice airframe, seems you have taken it from a kinda side angle which has affected the depth of field (DOF) so the P1 stick (Skyhawk) is in focus and the P2 (Skyhawk) isn't. Hard to tell but if you had access and a suitably wide angle lens you could have got a more balanced image - appreciate these types of shots can be tricky, with access, available lens etc...

hope that helps

Regards Tony

Comment

Hi Dimitrii

1-4 are all suffering from 'Heat Haze' on the airframe, not fixable I am afraid in my view. In the upload guidelines there some examples, a quick place to look is leading edges i.e. wings, horizontal stabiliser amongst others etc... https://cdn.jetphotos.com/custom/018-Heatdistortion.jpg

As to exposure, they are better lit and it would be useful as I indicated before if you could say take one image (not heat hazed) and give your camera settings including time of day shot when posting another for comment?

The cockpit shot is a nice airframe, seems you have taken it from a kinda side angle which has affected the depth of field (DOF) so the P1 stick (Skyhawk) is in focus and the P2 (Skyhawk) isn't. Hard to tell but if you had access and a suitably wide angle lens you could have got a more balanced image - appreciate these types of shots can be tricky, with access, available lens etc...

hope that helps

Regards Tony
                              Hi Tony, thanks again for the reply, I'll use your settings next time I go spotting.

As for the cockpit shot, obviously skyhawks are tight and this is the best I could get. I do think that that angle makes it a bit more dynamic, if you will.

Regards Dmitrii

Comment

Hello again, please prescreen:

Name:	IMG_4775.jpg
Size:	740.4 KB
ID:	1028417

Name:	IMG_4363.jpg
Size:	1.18 MB