No announcement yet.

African Star Airlines is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any one know of the fate of SIA's phased out A340s? I know six have gone to Cathay Pacific and Khalifa (3 apiece)....What about the rest?

Why doesn't Swiss just take those A340s instead of buying new ones?

Comment

Two of them are in Hamburg, waiting for a new owner.

A pair of former SIA Singapore Airlines aircraft waiting for a new job with start-up Air Switzerland, if this will really lift off. A third 340 already left to Khalifa. - Photo taken at Hamburg (- Fuhlsbuttel) (HAM / EDDH) in Germany on August 4, 2002.
      Andy

Comment

Hi,
        As LH 340-600 said Khalifa's A340's have been reposesed and stored in Hamburg as for SQ's, they have an agreement with Boeing to exchange brand new and older A340's for 777's.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

Yeah but are there any tentative plans for the future of these planes?
          They're great planes which are relatively new with an advanced inflight entertainment system installed...

Comment

I don't know. They have been sitting there for quite some time already.
            maybe SIA only offers high leasing rates.
            Andy

Comment

The problems with SIA A.340s are that they are owned and remarketed by Boeing (sale-back for new 777s), and that Airbus Industrie denied full support for these aircraft if they were to be sold by Boeing.

Another of those unfair, state-backed Airbus stories.

Reards,
              Peter

Comment

What's about Cathay`s 6 A 340's that came from SIA. Did Cathay buy them direct from SIA or are those Boeing's Airbuses as well?
                Do these planes get support from Airbus?
                Andy

Comment

Well they never went into storage, they simply left the SIA fleet and joined the CX fleet. I reckon it's a direct sale. I've flown on one of them, it's just like any other Cathay aircraft.
                  BTW, Cathay only have 3 fmr. SIA A340s....

Comment

The aircraft that were reposessed from Khalifa Airways are actually stored at Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF) and not at Hamburg (HAM). At Hamburg two ex-SIA A340 (D-ASIB and D-ASIC) are stored, with their engines partly removed.

As for the original topic, I doubt that African Star Airways will ever take off. The fleet plans are just too ambitious.
                    Happy Spotting!

Frank
                    FU Airliner Photography

Comment

Are there any planes when they want to start operations?
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X