AC319s to fly over the pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
    OK, where is Da-Bob to start dissing AC?
    Buissness is Buissness...

but I must admit this is kinda amusing...

BoB

Comment

DaBob...I figured you'd have something clever to say. If I were you, I'd be hacking at AC supporters who laughed at WestJet's strategy to fly 737's to Hawaii. People won't want to fly narrowbodies from Canada to Hawaii, they'd prefer the AC comfort. A bit of a contridiction me thinks.
      ________
      Kids depakote
      Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
      Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
      TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Jan 23rd YZF-YEG-YOW-YHZ-YQX
      Jan 27th YQX-YYT-YYZ-FRA-BUD
      Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
      Feb 17th YOW-YEG
      Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Comment

The only good I see in this is there is no way you will end up in the middle row of seats as the A319 is a narrow bodied aircraft. Other than that, a larger aircraft would be much more comfortable for the trip and would likely have more onboard to entertain the passangers.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

For the people that will benefit from this route there is a real dilemma - service or comfort.

To be honest, the flight is a bit long for a A319, but then again, it is not the longest ever. Considering the many changes that are being made to AC's fleet, a long flight aboard an A319 might not be so bad.

But, for a second, consider the alternative - no service at all. The truth is that this is a very intelligent move on the part of AC as they are able to tap into a market that is untouched, and maximize profit by using an aircraft of the right size for that specific route. AC understands that comfort-wise, the A319 is not comparable to that of one of their widebodies, but then again, their A319s are improoving with better IFE and more comfortable seats. It may not be comfortable, but then consider the option. No flight (i.e. no comfort) or a little uncomfort and another viable alternative for the community.

As a wise person once said "Business is Business" and that is the point of this move. There is very little need for a larger aircraft on this route, and AC is doing the responsible move, serving the market, using the right sized aircraft and making a profit. As a bonus they are giving their passengers some nice extras, a nice seat, some warm food and some IFE, not to mention another possibility that they did not have before.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
            To be honest, the flight is a bit long for a A319, but then again, it is not the longest ever. Considering the many changes that are being made to AC's fleet, a long flight aboard an A319 might not be so bad.
            You're right. Air Canada currently flys YVR-IAD which is 2344 Miles, longer than YYT-LHR at 2316.

Originally posted by jmackey_YYT
            The Edmonton situation is somewhat different since passengers are not required to fly backwards to Vancouver in order to catch a flight. Basically, someone will now have to leave St. John's and fly backwards to Halifax / Montreal, then on to London and the same coming back.
            They Do have to fly backwards--to Calgary. The route takes them North over Greenland. Edmonton is closer to LHR than Calgary.

Comment

Well YYT-LHR is blocked at 5H00, YYZ-POS is 5H30 and YUL-LAX is 5H50.

You need a more valid arguement on not operating an A319 YYT-LHR. You have to remember the route from YYT to LHR operates well within the ETOPS limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp Pilot
                So, if we give St. Johns the whole 1/3 of the 50,000 pax who travel the route each year and divide it by 365 you get 45 pax a day...hardly enough to justify a 767.
                Thats a made up statistic. You have zero idea how many people use that flight and created your own numbers.
                I've worked that flight many times over the past 6 years and most of the time the loads seem pretty evenly divided between YYT and YHZ pax. Sometimes YHZ puts more on, sometimes we do. YHZ puts more volume of cargo on (seafood usually) but our cargo is usually higher revenue/higher priority (offshore oil company machinery).

Comment

Originally posted by C-GEPA
                  Thats a made up statistic. You have zero idea how many people use that flight and created your own numbers.
                  Ha! If you had read my post you would have noticed my statistic was quoted from Ray Dillon, Prestident of St. John's Board of Trade. I was even generous and gave a whole 1/3, instead of 1/4. Go complain to him.

If it were profitable, it would still be there.

Thanks anyways...

Comment

Ok, so the stats were made up by Ray Dillon.
                    My made up statistics are just as valid as anyones

Air Canada has never said that the flight was unprofitable. The spokesperson talked about "profitability levels" not being what they wanted. Corporate double talk. The 860/861 flight is being pulled out of YYT because they were starting to lose YHZ pax to BOS and to Zoom. YHZ pax have alternatives and YYT pax don't. This flight operated for many years without a problem until some genius in AC headquaters saw 100 empty seats going to YHZ from YYT and decided that they could sell those seats if the flight went domestic in YYT.
                    I hope the 319 service goes well. It can serve the passenger traffic but not the cargo business. The market here for overseas flights is growing with the growth of the offshore oil industry. The employees here think that downgrade of services into YYT is very shortsighted.
                    That being said, I'm going to LHR on the first 319 I can get on!

Comment

That being said, I'm going to LHR on the first 319 I can get on!
                      Better call your Manager now. Maybe ask Monte.

Comment

Monty was here last winter and told us all that 860/861 wasn't leaving YYT
                        He was either out of the loop, or lying to us.

Comment

This flight operated for many years without a problem until some genius in AC headquaters saw 100 empty seats going to YHZ from YYT and decided that they could sell those seats if the flight went domestic in YYT.
                          Canada Customs may have had something to do with it too. Apparently they don't like only screening "some" of the passengers on an inbound flight. I talked to a crew from a LHR-YYC flight a week ago that had to divert to YEG due hail/T-storms in Calgary. There were about 50 YEG bound pax on the flight who wanted off when they landed in YEG but Canada Customs would only allow it if every pax/bag was unloaded and screened so they had to return to Calgary...Fark.

Comment

Not too bad of a route for an A319. If KLM can fly AMS-IAH with a 737NG (albeit an executive one), why shouldn't AC be able to fly a much shorter route with an A319?
                            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                            X