Crazy TAP Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJ
    I wonder what TAP's insurance company thinks about it.
    Haha I'm glad Zurich doens't do hull/aviation insurance, otherwise I would be damn nervous here!!

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343
      I would say that the potential of damage here is the same as in any other airshow like this one.
      Sorry, I disagree. A configured fly past so close to the flight line and crowd in a widebody jet would produce an enourmous wake, even at light weight.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure TAP gained enourmous publicity, and let's be honest, pictures of flaming wreckage don't stop the public from flying airlines like Air France, Singapore Airlines or Garuda Indonesia!

Having read on other 'professional' sites that there was an error made I am just pleased that there was a favourable outcome.

Comment

I was there, and that manouver got everyone saying:"He's Nuts!".
        The PA's on the field said that the plane was at 700km/h at the fast fly-by. It also said that the pilot is the most senior one in TAP.

Then from other sources, i know the manouver was practiced in a simulator before, and the wing-tip is higher that it apears, because most of the videos were shot on a elevation, and thus making seem that the wing-tip is dangerously close to the ground. And another TAP pilot who was on the ground near to me, said that if they tried to do that on a A320 and above, the aircraft whould not let that happen...

But anyhow, great performance!

Comment

Originally posted by LRaimundo91
          And another TAP pilot who was on the ground near to me, said that if they tried to do that on a A320 and above, the aircraft whould not let that happen...
          That's because the only Airbus aircraft that are not fly-by-wire are the A300/A310.

Regards.
          TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343
            That's because the only Airbus aircraft that are not fly-by-wire are the A300/A310.
            And could that system be turned off? Not the FBW, but the part of the system that protects the aircraft from doing that?

Comment

I think not.

Cheers.
              TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

And could that system be turned off? Not the FBW, but the part of the system that protects the aircraft from doing that?
                And why would anyone want to turn it off a system that's suppose to prevent a pilot from doing such manouvers.. I guess it was logical enough that there wasnt a way to disengage that part, dont you think ??
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

one word - amazing!

I was there, and that manouver got everyone saying:"He's Nuts!".
                  The PA's on the field said that the plane was at 700km/h at the fast fly-by. It also said that the pilot is the most senior one in TAP.

Then from other sources, i know the manouver was practiced in a simulator before, and the wing-tip is higher that it apears, because most of the videos were shot on a elevation, and thus making seem that the wing-tip is dangerously close to the ground. And another TAP pilot who was on the ground near to me, said that if they tried to do that on a A320 and above, the aircraft whould not let that happen...

But anyhow, great performance!
                  intresting, sounds like it was a highlight of the event.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by aca_srbija
                    one word - amazing!

intresting, sounds like it was a highlight of the event.
                    Yes it was!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                      And why would anyone want to turn it off a system that's suppose to prevent a pilot from doing such manouvers.. I guess it was logical enough that there wasnt a way to disengage that part, dont you think ??
                      Just a wild guess, but if the system had a problem, say the safety system started to do things that it wasn't supposed to be done, or, it's what happended in Evora, wanting to perform in an airshow!

Comment

Working...
                      X