Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Airways orders A380 and Boeing 787

British Airways officially released this statement:

"British Airways has today placed an order for 12 Airbus A380 and 24 Boeing 787
    aircraft with options for a further seven Airbus A380s and18 Boeing 787s. Both
    aircraft types will be powered by Rolls-Royce engines.

The new aircraft will replace 34 of the airline's longhaul fleet and will be
    delivered between 2010 and 2014. The order, including options, will give the
    airline the ability to grow
    its capacity by up to four per cent per year and the
    flexibility to tailor its future capacity growth in line with market conditions.

The aircraft will be greener, quieter and more fuel efficient with significantly
    lower carbon dioxide emissions and reduced impact on local air quality. This
    was a key consideration in the order.

Willie Walsh, British Airways' chief executive, said: "This is an exciting day
    for British Airways with our largest fleet order since 1998. It's great news for
    our business, our customers and the environment.

"These aircraft set the gold standard when it comes to environmental performance
    in the key areas of CO2 emissions, local air quality and noise. They will
    contribute significantly to our target of improving fuel efficiency by 25 per
    cent between 2005 and 2025.

"They are also much quieter than their predecessors, which is of vital
    importance at Heathrow. Both the A380 and B787 are rated as producing a quarter
    of the noise level of the B747-400.

"These new aircraft will continue our commitment to deliver the best travel
    experience to our customers. This order builds upon our recent investment in
    improving the customer experience through Terminal 5, the new Club World cabin,
    inflight entertainment system and ba.com."

The new aircraft types will enable the airline to strengthen further its network
    strategy, complementing each other in the longhaul fleet. The A380 will be used
    to provide more capacity for the airline's key high-density markets and maximise
    use of scarce Heathrow slots. The B787 will be used to start new routes and increase frequencies in
    existing markets.

Both aircraft bring significant economic benefits with lower costs per seat.
    They are both long range aircraft and bring more flexibility in to the fleet as,
    unlike the B767 that they replace, they can be flown across the airline's
    network.

British Airways will continue to consider the most suitable aircraft to replace
    its remaining B747-400 aircraft and is examining the B787-10, B777-300 ER and
    A350XWB.

The airline has arranged for a group of banks to provide $1.5 billion of debt
    financing to cover all of the airline's firm orders to the end of 2011."

Courtesy: British Airways

Regards, IB M87
    http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Shit no 748... I was still hoping for a few orders ...
    Well

Comment

748 unfortunately does not fit in between A380,777 and 787. Just the thought of an A380 in BA colors makes me sick.

Comment

Pretty much what was expected, a combo of A380s and 787s, though given the quantitites ordered, BA will still have to follow up with a few more orders, given that 12 A380s and 24 787s aren't enough to replace 57 744s and 14 767s.
        Last edited by DAL767-400ER; 2007-09-27, 08:32.

Comment

So just to clarify, the 787s are both the -8 and the -9 versions, presumably with the -8s replacing all 763ERs and the A380s replacing a selection of 744s?

What I can't understand is, with their current mixed fleet of Airbus and Boeing, they are still able to maintain commonality, since the Airbus' are all short haul and the Boeing's long haul (sure, they have 737s in the short haul fleet, but they are being replaced), now though, they are bringing a mixture of A & B into the long haul fleet and ultimately blowing commonality to sh!t, especially since some T7s are powered by GE's. Their maintenance costs must be far too high?
          DTVAirport

Comment

It seems the 747-8I has been ruled out by this statement. "BA says it will “continue to consider the most suitable aircraft to replace its remaining [Boeing] 747-400 aircraft and is examining the 787-10, 777-300ER and A350XWB”.

Possible routes for the A380s

Los angeles
            Singapore/Sydney
            Johannesberg
            Tokyo
            Hong Kong
            Lagos?

I wonder what Virgin will do about their A380s now?

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              Just the thought of an A380 in BA colors makes me sick.
              Why's that?

Comment

I think the 380 is probably a good idea when you figure the slot restraints at LHR. In fact, perhaps a 380 frequency or two on certain routes will free up a slot for something else?
                DFW Tower.com

Comment

BA still needs an aircraft that hs the size between A380 and 777-200ER to replace many of its 747-400.

Boeing's decision to have GE be the sole engine supplier for both 747-8i and 777-300ER will come back to haunt them in BA's final decision as BA apparently prefers RR engines (for obvious reason).
                  Next:
                  None Planned

Comment

The A380's will be used out of LHR to increase loads on current routes as said, with current restrictions of slots, load increases are trhe only option really. Some of the 787's will replace the 777's which will in-turn go to LGW to increase route scheduling from Gatwick most likely.

Comment

I think they should replace the 3 non-ER 777s first.
                      DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by DTVAirport
                        I think they should replace the 3 non-ER 777s first.
                        Won't happen for some time im afraid. Those non ER varients were the first 777's off the line and will operate out of LGW to the Caribbean, Tampa, Orlando, Dallas, and Houston for some time yet. As LGW seems to ber the airport BA shun non flagship routes to id guess this is where the older 777's from LHR will end up as they get replaced by newer aircraft.

Comment

Comment

Question: Why do airlines order planes from different providers and have a fleet make-up or different planes. Is it more expensive to have different types in terms of MTC?

Expand....
                            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                              Question: Why do airlines order planes from different providers and have a fleet make-up or different planes. Is it more expensive to have different types in terms of MTC?
                              Airlines order what best fits their fleet, even if it means different products from different manufacturers. Outside of a plane family (777, 787, 747, 737), commonality becomes way less of a factor, as is evidenced by a lot of airlines operating A330s alongside 777s. The A330 offers more range and capacity than the 767, and at the same time the A340 performance svcks compared to the 777, so you take what's best of both sides.

Comment

Working...
                              X