Classic jetliner preservation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic jetliner preservation?

Why are classic jetliners so under-preserved compared to classic propliners? Are old jets simply too expensive to run to be kept in flyable condition? Is there less interest among the public in old jets? Are they simply more likely to still be in service as cargo planes and thus unavailable for restoration and display?

I'd love to be able to see some old jets, but sadly, it seems to be quite hard to do...

Like you said, they are just wayyy too expensive to be kept in Flying condition.

Comment

There is one group in Sweden that are trying very hard to keep a Caravelle in flying condition, Le Caravelle Club. And of course there is John Travolta and his Jet Clipper Ella

Cheers,
      Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell Engkrog View Post
        There is one group in Sweden that are trying very hard to keep a Caravelle in flying condition, Le Caravelle Club. And of course there is John Travolta and his Jet Clipper Ella

Cheers,
        Wow. The preserved Caravelle looks lovely. I especially love the gorgeous interior, which is visible at another certain website whose forums one must pay to use

I also knew about John Travolta's 707, but given that it's a private jet with a custom interior, it's not quite the same as something that you can board and see how people used to fly.

Comment

I was,responsable for preserving G-AWZK for nearly 15 years.....untill i made the mistake of moving it to the AVP at Manchester.After i did all the hard work including the restoration i was made redundant (with ongoing works unfinished) so now she will rot away as im not even allowed on site!!! no justice i say...

Comment

Yes the Trident is a beauty and she did you proud (clear you did a great job) shame that the AVP looks like it will ruin all that hard work and make a profit out of doing so. AWZK and IRJX deserve to be hangared to protect them from the elements but as im sure we all know that wont happen. I mean how long did it take for BOAC to get a hangar at MAN. As for the debate as a whole i agree that its a shame but the costs are just to steap it seems. Just look at the trouble the Vulcan is having staying in the air.

Comment

Here in YXD(Edmonton Canada), we have an original classic 732 (c-gipw) donated by Air Canada the last operator of this aircraft. With impending closure of this airfield, it will be interesting to see if the Alberta Aviation Museum flies her out. Here is the link to her pics. Enjoy
              Who's on first?..........

Comment

I certainly won't disagree that it's not real feasible to keep some of those old birds flying, but it seems to me very few of them are kept even in display-only condition, which shouldn't be near as prohibitive to do money-wise.

Comment

Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey (U.K) has some classic airliners on show. There is a BAC 1-11 and a Vickers VC10 definitely. If i remember right there is also a Vickers Viscount there as well.

The pictures from this here can be found on Jetphotos under the location Brooklands - EGLB. The airfield is no longer active anymore.

Duxford (EGSU) Also has a pair of VC10s and a BAC 1-11 if i'm right as well. As well as the museum it is also a small active airfield. Those 3 airliners there are unairworthy though.

Comment

Originally posted by G-TTIC View Post
                    Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey (U.K) has some classic airliners on show. There is a BAC 1-11 and a Vickers VC10 definitely. If i remember right there is also a Vickers Viscount there as well.

The pictures from this here can be found on Jetphotos under the location Brooklands - EGLB. The airfield is no longer active anymore.

Duxford (EGSU) Also has a pair of VC10s and a BAC 1-11 if i'm right as well. As well as the museum it is also a small active airfield. Those 3 airliners there are unairworthy though.
                    Brooklands also has a Vanguard, which even fires up its motors at times.

Are there two VC-10s at Duxford ? Duxford does also have a range of preserved non-flying airliners, including a Comet, a York, a Britannia, a Trident, a Herald, a Concorde and a Viscount.

Comment

Working...
                    X