Cost of Pilots license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Pilots license

Im looking to get my pilots lisence. Does anyone know how much this will cost me. I did serve in the military so I do have the gi-bill. Does the gi-bill cover pilots training?
    "Quantity should always come with quality"
    cheap favors sisters, oregon

robbing your illusions?

I was interested in becoming a pilot when I had the chance to meet the LH-age-restrictions for pilot-education (do you meet the age restrictions?). But then I saw what it costs you to have a so-called "dream job":
    1. You have to have a flat near a LH-base for commercial pilot training. That means, I would have to search a flat in Frankfurt or Bremen which each is min. 250 kilometers away from my family and my friends. And how do you finance a life in Frankfurt or Bremen, right, mostly you take a credit or you have to work in addition to your flight training. Can you manage that?
    2. You are not guaranteed a LH-pilot after the end of your training. So you have a rather expensive education for doing what?
    3. Being a pilot means, you travel ALOT, more than I could have imagined before I read all the LH-info material that exists for wannabe-commercial-pilots. Can you afford to have a family plus a job that demands that much of you?

Maybe I am a bit critical, but that is reality as it was when I wanted to become a LH-pilot.
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Ah I forgot some numbers, yes, you have to pay a flat (+ a life, like meals, and culture like going to bars one or two times a month, + cinema, + electricity, + internet in your flat?, + etc etc etc) near a training base of your preferred airline plus the education costs. An LH commercial flight training was about 180.000 DM and is now bout 100.000 Euros (if you are accepted to the training... is your health and your physical and mental fitness good enough to become a commercial pilot?)
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2009-08-27, 03:40. Reason: still more you have to fulfill:
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

In the United States, going from absolutely no training to fully trained, fully qualified and fully licensed to fly for say United Airlines or American Airlines, expect to spend (out of your own pocket) a minimum of $100,000 USD (unless you're a military-trained pilot, then all you need to do is apply, but to become one of them is like a thousand rats fighting for one piece of cheese). In addition to non-military trained pilots applying for a US airline pilot position, there are a few minimum requirements that you must meet (after spending gobs of money) such as:

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
        - Minimum 21 years of age
        - A graduate of a 4-year degree program from an accredited college or university
        - Current passport

FAA REQUIREMENTS
        - Commercial fixed-wing pilot license with Instrument Rating
        - Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
        - Passing score on the FAA ATP written exam

FLIGHT TIME REQUIREMENTS (varies on the airline)
        - Minimum 1,200 hours of total documented flight time
        - Minimum 1,000 hours of fixed-wing turboprop or turbofan time

OTHER
        - FCC Radiotelephone Operator's Permit

.........and some other miscellaneous security checks and documentation.

If you're already military-trained, you're in a good spot. If not, but you have over $100,000 USD just lying around, then you're in a good spot. If not, and you are on a budget, then it's going to be extremely tough.

Comment

Originally posted by AFROPILOT View Post
          a minimum of $100,000 USD

Where did you get that number? I have never seen anyone pay that much.
          You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

One of the professors in my Aviation Science class did an analysis report on the cost to go from absolutely nothing to fully trained/qualified/certificated to fly for an airline, and that was their general estimated cost - but I believe that number was based upon receiving ALL certificates and ALL ratings with an assumed minimum of 1,000 hours logged (private certificate, commercial certificate, ATP certificate, instrument rating, multi-engine rating, CFI, etc.) In addition, it also depends upon where you're getting your flight training from.

Comment

it will cost you your soul......
              Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

It's not that complicated folks, all he asked about was getting a license!

AOPA has a FAQ page on learning to fly and earning your license:
                Flight Training offers the insight and counsel of experienced pilot-authors to help both instructors and pilots-in-training as they progress toward their goals in aviation. After all, a good pilot is always learning.

This should provide you some answers and is a good place to start.
                KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Working...
                X