Sent Away because of El Al.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent Away because of El Al.

I was at Schiphol Amsterdam. Laying in the Lounge seats at the end of the G-Pier, Waiting for my flight to San Fransisco.
    Just watching and photographing the past-taxiing aircraft.
    Then a El-Al Boeing 767-200 Came taxiing past turned right and parked at gate G-8.

A few moments later I heard heavy footsteps.. I turned my head towards the G-pier hallway. And I saw 4 security men walking to the gate. They were armed with Machine guns, Bulletproof vests and had a small security wall with them.
    They installed the wall and then they sent everybody in the area away.
    We had to stand about 10 yards away.
    Then the Passengers came out. They just walked out and away.

When the aircraft was empty. the security left too, and we went back to our seats and enjoyed our time.

I really hadn't experienced anything like it.

Is this normal? Is El-Al the only airline that gets this attention? Or is this just at Schiphol? Are there any other airports out there who act the same with these kind of airlines?

It was also pretty useless. We moved 10 yards, But I could just do the same things from that point, than from the point where I was first.

(not that I would possibly do anything!)
    My only weapon is a Canon EOS 1000D and a Tamron 18-270mm lens..

Regards, JeffreyKLM.
    The Netherlands.

I haven't actually seen it myself, but I've heard plenty of things about El Al being pretty heavy on security.

Comment

I would assume that this particular flight had some form of important Israeli official on the aircraft, and the airline demanded some form of protection once it arrived in Schiphol. El Al Israel Airlines has a daily nonstop flight from KLAX (Los Angeles Intl. Airport, Los Angeles, Californina, USA) to Israel and I have never heard of airport law enforcement treating any aircraft with such service. Must have been a special occasion. If you're really up for answers, you could return to that spotting location the next time you're at the airport and wait for El Al to land and see if it repeats. If so, then there's something else going on .

Comment

I have seen El Al's 767 or 777 at HKG many times. I tried to look for additional security around the aircraft (inside or outside the terminal building) but I don't seem to find any.

El Al's check-in counters in the terminal don't seem to have increased protection too.

But then again, HKG is probably one of the lowest risk airports that El Al operates into.

Although I haven't seen it myself, I cannot imagine seeing El Al having increased security at Beijing (PEK) either.
        Next:
        None Planned

Comment

I worked for British Airways for twelve years. Our LHR/TLV always had exceptional security. Passengers would go through normal airport security, then have to go through another round at the gate. There were always additional armed police around that gate, and the flight always closed early for check in.

In those days (I left in 1999) all our long haul flights left from Terminal 4 at LHR and short haul left from T1. However TLV was classed as short haul and was therefore a T1 departure. The talk among the staff was that this decision meant it was away from the other flights into that area of the world, in other words, the Arabic destinations, but I don't know if that was the reason or not, or indeed what BA are doing now they have T5.

In answer to your quesion, the extra security is certainly not unique to El Al, rather to the routes they fly.
          Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

It could also be El Al had received some kind of terrorist threat or intelligence regarding that particular flight which resulted in the extra security.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
              It could also be El Al had received some kind of terrorist threat or intelligence regarding that particular flight which resulted in the extra security.
              Originally posted by AFROPILOT View Post
              I would assume that this particular flight had some form of important Israeli official on the aircraft,
              Well, I would have thought the same.
              BUT. Isn't it a little strange that from the moment the passengers walked away from the aircraft, they hadn't got any protection at all?
              Because those men stayed where they were. And there wasn't any normal security either.. Passengers just walking out and moved to the passport controll and reclaim area.. No further high security.

But maybe a ''undercover'' agent?

Regards, JeffreyKLM

Comment

Having flown El Al a few times, I can attest to the fact that their security is insane. One time I was flying to Israel with and Arab-Israeli friend. I can promise you that he will never fly El Al again. He had gone a a shopping spree at Toys R Us for his kids back home. They literally opened every toy and examined each one. Ever piece of clothing was removed from his bags and examined by hand. They did this in front of him. Since we were traveling together, I got similar treatment even though I am not arab. in fact, one would think that my being jewish would have protected me. NOT.

El Al has security personnel in JFK that regularly carry automatic weapons, or at least they did back then, pre-9/11. I'm sure they have even more now.

Remember, El Al is Israel's national carrier. And while it became private in 2005, I suspect that their security is really military.

Comment

Its not just EL AL, when i was at Valencia airport, a Sun d'or international bound for Tel Aviv Had Armed Police at the from of both boarding stairs, with a crew member at both stairs double checking everyone is who they are ment to be.
                  :-) Life is like a Journey,Travel it well. United Airlines :smile:
                  :heart::smile::D:razz::-):-P:grin::):-D:love:

Comment

Originally posted by I_Love_NY View Post
                    Its not just EL AL, when i was at Valencia airport, a Sun d'or international bound for Tel Aviv Had Armed Police at the from of both boarding stairs, with a crew member at both stairs double checking everyone is who they are ment to be.
                    Just for the record - Sun d'or is a "daughter" company of El-Al.

For all of you who disscuss this issue - you will find the same security arrangments at all Israeli airlines - it suppose to be like that and it's legitimate, I m sure you all know why.

Comment

Originally posted by ori79 View Post
                      Just for the record - Sun d'or is a "daughter" company of El-Al.

For all of you who disscuss this issue - you will find the same security arrangments at all Israeli airlines - it suppose to be like that and it's legitimate, I m sure you all know why.
                      Of course. I am never upset by security measures. In fact, I would be happier if security was tighter all around. Never too much.

I do feel that El Al went a bit overboard with my friend though. I guess that is what an arab can expect when flying on El Al. still, their track records is perfect, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyklm View Post
                        I was at Schiphol Amsterdam. Laying in the Lounge seats at the end of the G-Pier, Waiting for my flight to San Fransisco.
                        Just watching and photographing the past-taxiing aircraft.
                        Then a El-Al Boeing 767-200 Came taxiing past turned right and parked at gate G-8.

A few moments later I heard heavy footsteps.. I turned my head towards the G-pier hallway. And I saw 4 security men walking to the gate. They were armored with Machine guns, Bulletproof vests and had a small security wall with them.
                        They installed the wall and then they sent everybody in the area away.
                        We had to stand about 10 yards away.
                        Then the Passengers came out. They just walked out and away.

When the aircraft was empty. the security left too, and we went back to our seats and enjoyed our time.

I really hadn't experienced anything like it.

Is this normal? Is El-Al the only airline that gets this attention? Or is this just at Schiphol? Are there any other airports out there who act the same with these kind of airlines?

It was also pretty useless. We moved 10 yards, But I could just do the same things from that point, than from the point where I was first.

(not that I would possibly do anything!)
                        My only weapon is a Canon EOS 1000D and a Tamron 18-270mm lens..

Regards, JeffreyKLM.
                        The Netherlands.
                        bet you $10 there was a diamond trader onboard..

next trips
                        USA/DXB August.

Comment

It's the same in YYZ. Enhanced security for El Al. Look for the sharp shooters. They are around.

Comment

I have heard that if someone falls ill on one of their a/c and requires a trip to hospital any ambulance crews are frisked on the tarmac before being allowed to board the a/c.

I don't know how truthful these stories are

Comment

Hi all

I am a regular Luton spotter and on every departure (not sure on arrival) there is a airport van parked near the spotting area at the back of the runway, and as soon as they go so do they. I will be intrested to see if this happens when EZY start the route in the coming months, will they have the exact same tratment inside the terminal and out or will they have less.

Thanks
                              Ben Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X