Near miss at Lagurdia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near miss at Lagurdia?

RWY 31, Clearly looks like one aircraft on takeoff roll, one position/hold and one VERY SHORT FINAL.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.772872,-73.85778&spn=0.010985,0.01929&z=16>

I don't think you can always rely on Google Maps as an accurate indication of aircraft locations. I've seen quite a few examples of aircraft which were clearly in the wrong place.

That said, with over 300,000 movements per annum (possibly over 400k, but I can't find accurate figures) on runways which intersect each other at a 90 degree angle, most operations at LGA would probably be regarded as near-misses if they happened at any airport in Europe!

Comment

Images for the maps are taken at intervals as they're passed over, so there's no real danger here. Also, there's a bit of a "ghost plane" by the one on final. That shows that it's taken at intervals. Hope this helps.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
        I don't think you can always rely on Google Maps as an accurate indication of aircraft locations. I've seen quite a few examples of aircraft which were clearly in the wrong place.

That said, with over 300,000 movements per annum (possibly over 400k, but I can't find accurate figures) on runways which intersect each other at a 90 degree angle, most operations at LGA would probably be regarded as near-misses if they happened at any airport in Europe!
        I need more google maps pictures of planes where they should not be

Comment

Originally posted by the_Yeti View Post
          I need more google maps pictures of planes where they should not be

Comment

Why is it called a near miss? Shouldn't it be a near collision?

Comment

Working...
            X