Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWA introduces Early Bird Option

I do not think this has been posted.

Southwest has announced they are charging $10 for an "early bird check-in" option.

I have not read everything all the way, but here is a quote from the WN blog.

"Once again, Southwest Airlines is introducing a new product to make traveling a little easier for our Customers. Many of you have told us how important it is to get an early boarding position so you can find that coveted seat without having to watch the clock for your 24-hour window to check in. Today, I am excited to introduce EarlyBird Check-in - one more way Southwest is providing convenience during your travel experience. For just $10 (one-way), EarlyBird Check-in Customers will automatically obtain a reserved boarding position before general check-in begins. You no longer have to worry about checking in for your flight as we will do the work for you to help you get a better boarding position, which of course leads to improved seat selection and earlier access to overhead bin space."

A16-30 was still reserved for A-Listers and will continue to be so for as many A Listers for that specific flight leg.

Unless you were an A Lister you were not going to get A16-A30. If there was NO A lister on that flight segment, then you could possibly have gotten those early cards.

Those using the Early Boarding Fee will board AFTER Biz Select and A Listers, Early Boarding Fee, guarantees you will before general boarding groups, this does NOT mean you will be getting an A Card at all.

You could pay 10 bucks and get a B Card, but that is fine cause, that just goes to show you how many Biz Select and A Listers were on the flight.

I am a bit torn on this, I am all for increasing revenue, without taking away the regular stuff, and this still allows bags to be checked for free (up to 2), free drinks and snacks among other things.

WN has said many passengers have voiced they'd be willing to pay for it so lets see if they actually do.

One thing for sure, passengers are no longer equal on WN any more, how long before we see F Class seats?! O_o

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

I absolutely will pay $10 for this. The way I read it is that I pay the $10, they check me in automatically, and I get to the front of the line behind A listers and biz select. Totally worth it to me. Particularly because I am often buying tickets less than 24 hours in advance, that way I still have a good shot at getting a seat in the front of the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Yeti View Post
        Particularly because I am often buying tickets less than 24 hours in advance, that way I still have a good shot at getting a seat in the front of the plane.
        This won't help you - from SWA's FAQ Page

While the best EarlyBird Check-in boarding positions will be assigned 36 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time, Customers are eligible to purchase EarlyBird Check-in up until 25 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time.
        Buy your tickets less than 24 hours before departure, and you're stuck in the middle seat between the old lady with too much perfume, and the bratty kid with too much sugar...
        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

I absolutely hate southwest. worse than spirit!

Comment

Remind me - who gets a1-a16?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
              Buy your tickets less than 24 hours before departure, and you're stuck in the middle seat between the old lady with too much perfume, and the bratty kid with too much sugar...
              The only time I get to sit next to hot chicks is when I am flying to see my girlfriend.

/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by the_Yeti View Post
                Remind me - who gets a1-a16?
                Those who booked Business Select Fares.

Alex

Comment

So does this mean that if enough passengers paid the $10 fee, one could end up NOT getting an A boarding pass even if he/she checked-in online exactly 24 hours before departure?!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                    So does this mean that if enough passengers paid the $10 fee, one could end up NOT getting an A boarding pass even if he/she checked-in online exactly 24 hours before departure?!
                    You'd think so but who knows.

My dad checked in at 24 hr mark for STL-MCO tomorrow and it's quite full, I checked the loads.

He got A55. So..still got an A Card and he didn't pay the 10 dollar fee.

I told him not to LOL Cause I had access to the loads and saw he wouldn't need it.

Alex

Comment

I'm gonna duck before you all start laughing at this, but there was a study that showed when planes crash, the most likely spot for a survivor was in the last rows. Maybe its because that's where the relaxed, patient people sit?

Comment

Working...
                      X