Air China visit to PHX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air China visit to PHX

Howdy, i saw this and just could not understand it (in this economy atleast). Phoenix had a surprise Air China 747-400 visiting (I dunno why) and flew off this morning. The weird thing is it flew to Grand Canyon and back. That is a 3hr drive from phoenix. Why would they waste a 747 for such a small trip ?

Flight CCA-18

Date Type Origin Destination Departure Arrival Duration
    07-Sep-2009 B744/W Grand Canyon Arpt (KGCN) Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) 12:29PM MST 12:59PM MST 0:30
    07-Sep-2009 B744/W Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) Grand Canyon Arpt (KGCN) 09:31AM MST 10:10AM MST 0:39

Last edited by saupatel; 2009-09-08, 03:25.

If this is not some kind of a mistake on the system, this is then probably a charter flight by some large Chinese tour groups to US. Typically Chinese tour groups may only be spending about a week in US, and they will try to pack as much contents into their tours as possible. A 3-hr drive to Grand Canyon from Phoenix and then 3-hr drive back are simply too time consuming. The visit to Grand Canyon by bus would effectively take the whole day out of their 7-day trip that crosses both coasts of US. With the kind of schedule you have posted, it would only take them half a day and they can be back to Phoenix before lunch. Besides, if they can get the 400-seat 747 packed with several Chinese tour groups for this visit, it actually may not be too much expensive than hiring 15 or so buses to make the trip. It's definitely less of a hassle in terms of co-ordination when you get everyone transported in one vehicle than in dozens.

The 747 is probably chartered for the whole week to take the group to whereever they need to be in their whole trip.

With a market with 1.3 billion people, it would not be too difficult to find a group of 400 people who can still afford travelling to US even under such economic situation.
    Next:
    None Planned

Comment

Wow that must be a rich bunch of folks. I wish i had that kind of money

Comment

Many Japanese tour groups charter JAL's 744 too, mostly to more exotic destinations such as Zagreb, Oslo, etc., not US though. It would be a nightmare arranging a tour group of 400 people from Tokyo to Zagreb if you don't charter a 744.
        Next:
        None Planned

Comment

It was a government delegation. I saw a motorcade including at least 20 motorcycle police, several cars, an armored limo, and several shuttle buses (probably support staff) drive around the tarmac to the plane on Monday afternoon. According to ABC 15, it was Chairman Wu Bangguo of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by stilwebm View Post
            It was a government delegation. I saw a motorcade including at least 20 motorcycle police, several cars, an armored limo, and several shuttle buses (probably support staff) drive around the tarmac to the plane on Monday afternoon. According to ABC 15, it was Chairman Wu Bangguo of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress.
            Ah. It makes even more sense then. So they are still using the Air China 744 for official visits? Because I have read reports elsewhere that sometimes smaller aircraft such as 767 or A332 are used for official visits to save $.
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

In August 2007, there was an Air China 74? at MGA on official state business. Interesting takeoff too...from a distance, it appeared as though the tires actually broke traction before the pilot let the brakes go. It took off like a shot.

Attached is a pic i shot with max zoom on my canon sd630.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                In August 2007, there was an Air China 74? at MGA on official state business. Interesting takeoff too...from a distance, it appeared as though the tires actually broke traction before the pilot let the brakes go. It took off like a shot.

Attached is a pic i shot with max zoom on my canon sd630.
                That's China Airlines, not Air China. You sure it's on official state business? Because the China represented by China Airlines has no diplomatic (and official) relation with US. Any high level official contacts between this China and US will provoke immediate protest from the other China.
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific View Post
                  That's China Airlines, not Air China. You sure it's on official state business? Because the China represented by China Airlines has no diplomatic (and official) relation with US. Any high level official contacts between this China and US will provoke immediate protest from the other China.
                  You are of course correct. More proof of my lack of expertise in these things...

It was Taiwan on official state business. And it was at Managua, Nicaragua (MGA), not in the US. Nicaragua has extensive ties with Taiwan (no pun intended), and maintains and embassy in Managua.

What Nicaragua considers its air force, a few old Soviet era helos, were all dragged out and polished. Check photos below.

Comment

Working...
                  X