Thoughts on 737-800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on 737-800?

Ok, so I'm flying from DFW to Montego Bay, AA flight 1232 on May 30th and apparently we'll be on board a 737-800. For anyone who has read my few posts here, you'd know that I'm terrified of flying and I'm really just looking for some input on this particular aircraft. Is it safe, comfortable, dependable? Have you ever flown on one? What were your thoughts of the aircraft?

Thanks in advance

TX 737-800 is Very Dependable and I would fly on them any time. I work for Boeing, and I would fly with confidence on anything we build.

Comfort depends on the interior and each customer orders their own seats, they are what we call Buyer Furnished. As in they buy it and we install it. Im not too comfortable in 737s but Im a larger person. Economy class in the 737 is 3 X 3 seating as in 3 seats on each side.

I think you will enjoy yourself more than you think .

Comment

No reason for concern TX911... the Boeing 737NG family of which the 737-800 is a member is among my favorite airplanes to fly on. It is definitely a safe airplane and the pilots I have spoken to describe it as easy to handle.

As for the comfort, that will depend on the airline, and how much seats they pack in there - so this aspect of the ride has nothing to do with the aircraft itself.

Comment

Originally posted by TX911 View Post
        Ok, so I'm flying from DFW to Montego Bay, AA flight 1232 on May 30th and apparently we'll be on board a 737-800. For anyone who has read my few posts here, you'd know that I'm terrified of flying and I'm really just looking for some input on this particular aircraft. Is it safe, comfortable, dependable? Have you ever flown on one? What were your thoughts of the aircraft?

Thanks in advance
        One of the most common planes in that size, safetyrecord is good but not perfect, as for how comfortable it is? Check out www.seatguru.com
        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Thanks in advance
          I used to pilot 737-800 for almost a year. I have done 500 hours on it and never had any trouble or bad experience with it. It was easy to fly, pretty powerful and very forgiving.
          Enjoy your trip...

Comment

Thanks guys. Its getting closer to time so I'm of course a nervous wreck over all the possible things that could go wrong

Comment

Thanks guys. Its getting closer to time so I'm of course a nervous wreck over all the possible things that could go wrong
              But things do not need to go wrong. And chances are they won't. By large.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                But things do not need to go wrong. And chances are they won't. By large.
                Exactly - and have you ever thought how many things can go wrong when you leave the house on foot or by car, not because YOU did something wrong but because of the number of idiots sharing the space out there with you?

Enjoy your trip, TX911 - the 737-800 is a great plane and I always look forward to sitting in one

Comment

I'm certainly not a fan of the 737 (or anything else made by Boeing) but yes it is very safe & should even be comfortable! Grab a window seat and enjoy the ride.

Comment

May I ask, tsv: what are you a fan of?

Comment

in fact it is too safe

most of VIPs prefere to own this type even thought it is not the cheapest ( they want to live longer to be able to spend their money)

i hope you are ok now

Comment

Originally posted by old timer View Post
                        in fact it is too safe

most of VIPs prefere to own this type even thought it is not the cheapest ( they want to live longer to be able to spend their money)

i hope you are ok now
                        Thanks, I'm trying. I think i'm going to need a couple drinks and just to close my eyes and try not to think about it. I've actually thought about staying up all night the night before so that when I get on board I'll be so tired that I'll just fall asleep

Comment

Seeing as there are hundreds and hundreds of them flying and I can count the number of them which have crashed on my fingers, I'd say you're ok.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

you are talking about the Boeing 737-800
                            - The very same airplane that crashed in India last week?
                            - The same type as crashed in Amsterdam ?
                            and at least 6 other occations

The total crashes for all versions of 737 is about 150 hull losses out of about 6000+ produced. I'd say it is a safe airplane ...barely at least compared to the Dc-8 (more than 50% of the Dc-8's ended up as smoking wrecks)

Have a nice trip !

yeah, I'm bad

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                              you are talking about the Boeing 737-800
                              - The very same airplane that crashed in India last week?
                              - The same type as crashed in Amsterdam ?
                              and at least 6 other occations

The total crashes for all versions of 737 is about 150 hull losses out of about 6000+ produced. I'd say it is a safe airplane ...barely at least compared to the Dc-8 (more than 50% of the Dc-8's ended up as smoking wrecks)

Have a nice trip !

yeah, I'm bad

Wow, you're a classy one huh? Mother must be so proud. Invest in a vasectomy please, the world needs to start progressing in a more measured way and I highly doubt you or your offspring would contribute much. Really, its for the sake of all of humanity so, you know, do us a solid?

yeah, I'm bad

And I'm absolutely positive that every hull loss was due to mechanical malfunction of the plane, certainly not pilot error. Your argument is so unbelievably stupid that it doesn't even really register as logical (or intelligible) enough to get under anyone's skin if that's what you were trying to accomplish.....just so you know.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them..."

— Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X