Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What domestic routes will United use the 787 on?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsv View Post
    From wherever they're sitting now back to Seattle to get a refund in the Stuff Ups continue!

Pretty bold statement- assuming it's safe to take flight.

I was thinking "the route" might be from the gate to a parking pad at a far extreme corner of the airport.

Heck, you can't even take it to the aluminmum can recycling center.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by UALdave View Post
      I'm being serious here. I really want to fly on a 744, but I don't have the time for an international trip right now.
      For a short time in 2010, SFO-IAD had a couple scheduled 747 flights. Around the same time, a 747 in the grey livery was pulled from Mojave back into service on the SFO-ORD-SFO route for several months before it was retired.

Since then, however, the only routes in the system I've ever seen 747s on domestically were occasional last minute swaps between SFO IAD/ORD, and very rare SFO-DEN/HNL swaps here and there. Now that the entire fleet is based at SFO, and UA has upgraded the evening SFO-FRA to a 744 and plans to operate the new TPE route with one, I highly doubt scheduled 747 domestic routes will come back with United anytime soon. Swaps are usually done on hub-hub 767 or 777 routes, but I've seen a 757 to 747 upgrade on SFO-DEN once so it's really all just luck of the draw.

If you really want to fly on a 744, you'll have to go international.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla View Post
        If you really want to fly on a 744, you'll have to go international.
        What about DL? Is there any luck there?
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
          What about DL? Is there any luck there?
          Since the merger, I haven't heard of any scheduled 747 hub-hub flights or upgrades even. Spare DL 744s are usually occupied with charters. The first flight I have any recollection of was SFO-MSP on a Northwest 747-400 in 1993 or 94, well after route proving flights had ended. 'm not really sure why they had a 744 on the route, but I guess those days are gone.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla View Post
            The first flight I have any recollection of was SFO-MSP on a Northwest 747-400 in 1993 or 94, well after route proving flights had ended. 'm not really sure why they had a 744 on the route, but I guess those days are gone.
            A lot of times airlines will put long-range aircraft on domestic routes to get them between hubs or cycle them through a maintenance base for scheduled checks. For example, it was not uncommon to get on a CAL 777 to fly between IAH and EWR or vice-versa.

Unfortunately for those wanting to fly the UAL 747, I don't believe it's necessary to fly the airplane domestically. I'm not very familiar with the route structure of that aircraft, but I believe most of the trips are out of SFO to Asia. There is some flying out of ORD as well. They don't need to fly SFO-ORD or ORD-SFO because they get the airplane to the other station via somewhere down-line (i.e. SFO-NRT-ORD...)
            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
              A lot of times airlines will put long-range aircraft on domestic routes to get them between hubs or cycle them through a maintenance base for scheduled checks. For example, it was not uncommon to get on a CAL 777 to fly between IAH and EWR or vice-versa.

Unfortunately for those wanting to fly the UAL 747, I don't believe it's necessary to fly the airplane domestically. I'm not very familiar with the route structure of that aircraft, but I believe most of the trips are out of SFO to Asia. There is some flying out of ORD as well. They don't need to fly SFO-ORD or ORD-SFO because they get the airplane to the other station via somewhere down-line (i.e. SFO-NRT-ORD...)
              Yeah, my NW trip was weird tho because it was a non-hub route usually operated by 757s and DC-10s at the time, and NW didn't even fly 744s to SFO. SFO-NRT was a 742 at the time.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

Pretty bold statement- assuming it's safe to take flight.

I was thinking "the route" might be from the gate to a parking pad at a far extreme corner of the airport.

Heck, you can't even take it to the aluminmum can recycling center.
                Come on, must be plenty of places in the States that recycle Plastic. Perhaps they could melt the mess and send it to Airbus to see if they can remould it into an A350?

Comment

I'm not sure what routes United flies now but I imagine they will use it from the East coast to Hawaii or anywhere to Guam
                  I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Working...
                  X