No announcement yet.

Longest Flight Without Onboard Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that even 707s and DC.8s were not equals, about the one I flew either transcontinental or long haul;
    headset/music and movie on board/3 large collapsible screens :
    707s : Air France/TWA/Cameroon Air Lines (fitted with the same stuff as AF)/Aerolineas Argentinas/American Airlines.
    DC.8s UTA (the 63)
    No audio/movie equipment.
    707s : Sabena/Air Portugal and LAP
    DC.8s : Air Afrique (all models) and Icelandair (63) what i did in some of the latters ,
    - LAP 707s ZP-CCE
    BRU-MAD 2 hrs 30 enjoyed the inflight service.
    MAD-DKR 5 hrs 00 did the same
    DKR-ASU 7 hrs 30 read the then current edition of Lonely Planet "South America on a Shoe String".
    On the return leg 11 weeks later ...on board ZP-CCG
    route ASU-DKR, conversations with Chilean travelers retruning to Europe
    -DKR-BRU 6 hrs 40 tried to recall the trip by scrolling the spotter log and reviewing the Lonely Planet book !
    - DC.8-63 Icelandair Feb 90, TF-VLT, LUX-KEF-JFK, this time Let's Go provided the handy guide book, return on board TF-VLV was speaking with an Icelandic national flying home and them a fellow spotter from LUX who boarded at KEF !!!!!
    More modern airliners which featured the equipment but the latter being out of order,
    DC.10-30 Lutfthansa D-ADFO, FRA-ORD, 8 hrs 30 mnts, again Let's Go proved an excellent alternative.Aug 90.
    777-222, United, N782UA, SFO-LHR, IFE sealed by a plastic hood due to a legal dispute with the service provider ! (April 1997)
    A.340-300, Air China, B2385, BJS-CDG, Dec.97, equipment could not be operated by the flying attendants
    767-200, Air Canada, C-FUCL, Dorval-CDG, AUG2001, "Notre équipement a brisé !" translating the quebecan french, "has broken". Large part of the flight spent to chat with the F/As back in the galley.
    Regards
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

No entertainment really isn't a big deal. From the UK back to NZ is 26 hours, and if I spend more than 3 or 4 hours using the entertainment then it's unusual. More often i use my cd player and several good books, as well as sleeping a great deal!
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

How can you use CD-Player on Bord???
        I don't know about your Airlines but in Saudia Airlines no one can use it, also no Mobile Phones, Small TV, in General Electronics .
        Just Laptops.
        15 Nov is my Birth day! I want A340? pls dad pls mom LOL

Comment

I think people should be happy with a big screen in front for all and some radio in the seat the way it used to be. (didn't want to sound like grandpa here)

These personal TV systems look nice and may seem great for kids, but they're actually a stupid idea. Such a system adds 5-10 kg of weight per person. That means anywhere between 1 and 3.5 tons of ballast. A completely unnecessary waste of fuel and resources.

If people can't entertain themselves with a book or sleep or talk, etc. for 12h they are in deep trouble anyway.

I recently flew 20h on LSZH->VTBD->RJAA and with a good book there was no problem at all. The movies they show suck anyway.

BTW, presumably thanks to one of those stupid systems 229 people lost their lives on SR111 over Nova Scotia. That makes it the 20th most worst accident in the history of civil aviation. IMHO, it's just not worth it.
          After KSFO and LSZH, ENTC here I come!

Comment

I was on a NW flight from NRT-HKG on a A320 back in July (check my photos ) and the A320s does not have any PTVs or IFE system on them...the flight was quite boring but the sunset and scenery outside was amazing
            Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Originally posted by sv
              How can you use CD-Player on Bord???
              I don't know about your Airlines but in Saudia Airlines no one can use it, also no Mobile Phones, Small TV, in General Electronics .
              Just Laptops.
              CD players are allowed on most all airlines when the plane has reached a safe cruising altitude. Mobile phones and small tv, radios are not allowed because they transmit frequencies that could interfere with the plane's systems. CD and tape players are quite safe! I've used them on every flight, including on SV from BOM to JFK via JED, and believe me a flight without what I want to listen to is going to be a very very very boring flight for me!

-Pete
              Pete Ganabathi
              Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

You mean that MD-11 in 1998? I remember that two passengers were playing Casion on Bord, there was a Saudi Prince on Board.

I don't think it's an Stupid Idea, beacuse if it was why all Airlines now add P-Tv into there planes???
                On Saudia there is a Fax on the P-TV so no need to write any more!

May be you want to see where are you now flying over?
                in the Old SYS you can't coz there is a Movie playing.

You are not lucky, so they gave to a seat in the Middel , on P-TV there are Cam's can let you enjoy looking out without needing to stay in the Window.
                15 Nov is my Birth day! I want A340? pls dad pls mom LOL

Comment

sv,
                  figure it out yet? the 500x100 part?

Comment

I have flown across the Atlantic a number of times both from CFB Trenton(YTR) and Yow on military 707s up until 1992, and they did not have any IFE. Destinations were LGW, CFB Lahr, West Germany and Larnaca, Cyprus. the "new" 310-300s have IFE which is appreciated by the troops.
                    ________
                    Health store

Comment

i rather dont have entertainment then flying in a AF B777 for 24 and then that stupid french language
                      My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

Originally posted by MauwieAir
                        and then that stupid french language

How old are you?

Comment

14 im learning french for my 3th year but i just can't speek or write it. im the worst in my class with french

thats so childish....

Comment

14 im learning french for my 3th year but i just can't speek or write it. im the worst in my class with french
                            Which would rather make you look stupid than the language, wouldn't it?

That comment was rather uncalled for. I don't like Dutch either. But I wouldn't call it stupid. Even less in a public forum. Grow up.

Comment

Which would rather make you look stupid than the language, wouldn't it?

That comment was rather uncalled for. I don't like Dutch either. But I wouldn't call it stupid. Even less in a public forum. Grow up.
                              but this is what i think i know a lot people dont like dutch (i also think its not the greatest language) but a lot people think were speaking german but that is a whole different language (i cant speek german but learning it)

thats so childish....

Comment

and then that stupid french language
                                Excusez-moi, monsieur ?

I am a fluent French speaker (second language after Spanish) and I don't really like people saying "oh, that stupid language". I don't speak Dutch and I actually believe it isn't very nice, but you'll never see me saying "oh, that stupid Dutch language".

but this is what i think
                                So, you can think whatever you want, but sometimes it is better to shut up and keep quiet.

Salut et à bientôt !

PS: Espérons qu'Alain (uy707) n'entre pas ici...

Comment

Working...
                                X