This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Do you recall what sort of lightning protection the Airbus surfaces employed?
    Airbus embed a thin copper mesh into the composite, Boeing like to use a conductive thin sheet of metal on top of the composite along with lightning wicks embedded in the structure.
    The thickness and conductivity of the paint on the surface is also different between them but I don't remember the specifics

Comment

• Saw this on cbc.ca, something else to throw into the speculation mix:

Clear Air Turbulence

"the erratic movement of air masses in the absence of any visual cues, such as clouds. Clear air turbulence is caused when bodies of air moving at widely different speeds meet. At high altitudes (7,000-12,000 metres) this is frequently encountered around jet streams or sometimes near mountain ranges. Clear air turbulence is impossible to detect either with the naked eye or with conventional radar, meaning that it is difficult to avoid."

Is this something like wind shear at altitude? Has it been identified as the cause of any previous accidents?
      AD.COM BOATPERSON 2001 - 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by juan23 View Post
        Airbus embed a thin copper mesh into the composite, Boeing like to use a conductive thin sheet of metal on top of the composite along with lightning wicks embedded in the structure.
        The thickness and conductivity of the paint on the surface is also different between them but I don't remember the specifics
        Thanks, this clears up a mystery for me. I assume the copper mesh negates the issue of vulnerability sufficiently. As copper is three times the weight of aluminum, I was unsure that Airbus was using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
          out of interest, on the 'occasion':
          how do aircraft-designers test these things???
          scaled-down or full-scale modells?
          I've seen only full scale component tests. Check this page out, scroll down for the lightning test image:

Comment

TWA 800

Disappointed a lot of terrorism fans in the end.
            Not to relight a debate, but to agree that terrorism can't be ruled out, nor can space aliens for that matter.

But, TWA 800 is unanimously assumed to be a difficult even to conclusively categorize. For every expert that suggests a mechanical, there is another expert that suggests terrorism or a military exercise gone awry.

My point: It's far too early to suggest that terrorism is the cause, as equally as it's far too early to suggest that weather is the cause.

Comment

• Shana, from my understanding it is not a good idea to nitpick too much into people's spelling.

Anyhow, I really hope they get whatever evidence (pieces of fuselage, black boxes) needed to find the cause. This accident will perhaps be the most significant of the 2000s due to its urgency and mystery.

Originally posted by Shana View Post
              But with your Masters degree you probably would use the spell check before you posted right?

Also you don't even know me, so how do you know what my qualifications are?

Comment

• Originally posted by busfan View Post
                Saw this on cbc.ca, something else to throw into the speculation mix:

Clear Air Turbulence

"the erratic movement of air masses in the absence of any visual cues, such as clouds. Clear air turbulence is caused when bodies of air moving at widely different speeds meet. At high altitudes (7,000-12,000 metres) this is frequently encountered around jet streams or sometimes near mountain ranges. Clear air turbulence is impossible to detect either with the naked eye or with conventional radar, meaning that it is difficult to avoid."

Is this something like wind shear at altitude? Has it been identified as the cause of any previous accidents?
                NO

Wind shear or turbulence by itself has never caused an airplane to break up in mid air as far as I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by kris View Post
                  Spoilers maybe?
                  Wrangling with a German dictionary, I get:

Tragflächen=wing

stör=disturbance (of some kind)

klappen=flap or damper

Are there any real Germans on this forum? Help please!
                  Former member of AirDisaster.com

Comment

• Originally posted by CotterPin View Post
                    Not to relight a debate, but to agree that terrorism can't be ruled out, nor can space aliens for that matter.

But, TWA 800 is unanimously assumed to be a difficult even to conclusively categorize. For every expert that suggests a mechanical, there is another expert that suggests terrorism or a military exercise gone awry.

My point: It's far too early to suggest that terrorism is the cause, as equally as it's far too early to suggest that weather is the cause.
                    I wouldn't rule out terrorism, it's entirely possible, but I don't see any signs that point to it right now and a lot that point away from it. The trouble I have with a lot of people promoting the idea of terrorism is that they proselytize others into their conspiratorial theories with a certain zeal, a certain paranoid sense of clarity and an erosive view of investigatory procedures and findings. In so doing they work to perpetuate fear and uncertainty, the very mechanism by which terrorism finds its rewards. Often these theories are full of technical misinformation founded in nothing more than gut feelings and hearsay, but become intransigent convictions that block out the mitigating or contradictory findings of an investigation. These findings become elaborate cover-ups in their blossoming paranoia. Motive is always their weakest argument. Mostly, they suffer from a lack of technical knowledge about aeronautics and aircraft flight control issues, and supplant this with an abundant knowledge of pulp fiction. The AA587 disaster is a prime example of this. TWA 800 is another perpetuating example. AF447 will undoubtedly become the stuff of grass-roots legend as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shana View Post
                      But with your Masters degree you probably would use the spell check before you posted right?

I have a PhD in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University and am an excellent speller, but "millennium" is one of the words I consistently misspell. Doesn't seem like a particularly big deal to me.

I see you are a new member here. Do you have anything to contribute to this discussion, or did you just sign up to monitor spelling on the boards?
                      Former member of AirDisaster.com

Comment

• All I can say is that I give kudos to those involved in this daunting search for that black box. That black box carries the key information about what happened on flight 447. This is one of the reasons why our friends from Brazil are not wasting any time, despite the rough seas and the bad weather. This is a mission that seems impossible, but it is critical to find out what exactly happened in what seems to be a mystery.

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                        Yes, but if the debris all fell in the same area, wouldn't it all travel together, not spread apart? Just asking!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shana View Post

Just by reading your post (only one) I can tell your "qualifications"...

Comment

• Originally posted by LauraB View Post
                            Wrangling with a German dictionary, I get:

Tragflächen=wing

stör=disturbance (of some kind)

klappen=flap or damper

Are there any real Germans on this forum? Help please!
                            I discussed the meaning of it with my dad who is a german/english translator, but doesn't have that much knowledge of aircraft. The breakdown you give there is correct and given that it would seem to mean spoilers. There's nothing else we could think of that it could mean.

-Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Vincentomoh View Post
                              Shana, from my understanding it is not a good idea to nitpick too much into people's spelling.

Anyhow, I really hope they get whatever evidence (pieces of fuselage, black boxes) needed to find the cause. This accident will perhaps be the most significant of the 2000s due to its urgency and mystery.
                              I am not sure I understand what you are telling me here. You are not allowed to disagree or criticize on this site? I happen to have a B.S. in Marine Biology, and have over 21000 hours flying time. I am currently a line check Captain on the Boeing 747, have been in the left seat for the past 10 years on the 74, and at one time was the youngest female 747 Captain in the world. I find it embarrassing that people that are supposed to be professionals write worse than my 12 year old. At least he knows to run a spell check and proof read. So if I am to be harassed for calling someone out on spelling, so be it.
                              I have not even started on some of what I have been reading here for the last two days since I was told about this site.
                              From what I have seen so far I have to tell you that it doesn't look like most of the posts are from professional pilots at all.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out terrorism, it's entirely possible, but I don't see any signs that point to it right now and a lot that point away from it. The trouble I have with a lot of people promoting the idea of terrorism is that they proselytize others into their conspiratorial theories with a certain zeal, a certain paranoid sense of clarity and an erosive view of investigatory procedures and findings. In so doing they work to perpetuate fear and uncertainty, the very mechanism by which terrorism finds its rewards. Often these theories are full of technical misinformation founded in nothing more than gut feelings and hearsay, but become intransigent convictions that block out the mitigating or contradictory findings of an investigation. These findings become elaborate cover-ups in their blossoming paranoia. Motive is always their weakest argument. Mostly, they suffer from a lack of technical knowledge about aeronautics and aircraft flight control issues, and supplant this with an abundant knowledge of pulp fiction. The AA587 disaster is a prime example of this. TWA 800 is another perpetuating example. AF447 will undoubtedly become the stuff of grass-roots legend as well.
                                I'm not promoting that it's terrorism, I'm just scoffing at how the French government has completely dismissed it this early in the investigation, when we have almost nothing to go on and when every theory is as equally plausible or implausible.

Comment

Working...
                                X