Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yemeni Airliner Down in Comoros (Indian Ocean)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MCM View Post
    The photo shows that there aren't any approach lights, however a PAPI could well be further down the runway than the picture shows. I'm just going off one of the charts that seems to say there is no PAPI for 20, but the charts aren't in the format I'm used to, and with my French being rather poor I can't be sure.
    I think we are both looking at the plate I just posted of the runway instrument layout. I also searched along the runway in Google Earth.

Originally posted by MCM View Post
    I'm sorry if my first post seemed like it was jumping all over you... I'm not trying to do that. I know your posts are well thought out and reasoned.
    No, I didn't take it that way. That wasn't specifically directed at you. Sometimes you stick your neck out on speculation here and get chastised by the more reserved among us. Sorry if it came off as accusative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Bob, that link is for EGWPS. As far as I know, standard GWPS cannot determine altitude without RA input. Am I wrong?

I don't mean to give RA excessive focus. I just want to get my facts straight.
      Sorry my mistake, it is here more about inputs and function of GPWS

Also I would add to what we have discussed before....

1. Don't mix precision and non-precision app, we use different instruments in the cockpit as primary and secondary instruments

2. There is no prof pilot in the world (I believe so) who will trade his Vref speed against runway exit point...specially in adverse Wx. You do exit rwy on busy apt at allocated exit point when requested by ATC otherwise don't push yourself to the limits just coz u don't want to make backtracking, keep focused on the primary goals (safety and comfort also - you will not use max braking also just to catch yr nearest exit - pax will feel it)

rgds, bob

Comment

• Originally posted by bobdxb View Post
        Sorry my mistake, it is here more about inputs and function of GPWS
        Thanks. I see the role of the ADC for altitude data.

BTW: I have had many a landing on intercity flights that ended with a bow to seat in front of me - hard braking to make a turn-off. A few tire squealers as well. All's well that ends well.

Comment

Thanks. I see the role of the ADC for altitude data.

BTW: I have had many a landing on intercity flights that ended with a bow to seat in front of me - hard braking to make a turn-off. A few tire squealers as well. All's well that ends well.
          Ok, as I said before; most of large operators including flag carriers place comfort of the pax right behind safety.

my ex airline rules:
          - taxi speed not above limits and slow in turns, so ppl in the1st class will not spill drinks
          - don't jump on brakes unneccessary
          - rate of cabin climb/descent max 500 ft/min unless required for operational reasons
          - etc....

Comment

• Originally posted by bobdxb View Post
            Ok, as I said before; most of large operators including flag carriers place comfort of the pax right behind safety.

my ex airline rules:
            - taxi speed not above limits and slow in turns, so ppl in the1st class will not spill drinks
            - don't jump on brakes unneccessary
            - rate of cabin climb/descent max 500 ft/min unless required for operational reasons
            - etc....
            That must be long-haul decorum. I'm talking about 73's and 320's, major carriers doing intercontinental multi-cycle shifts. I had a flight once, Lufthansa A319, Frankfurt to Prague, about 45 min. flight time. They were coming in hot, the speedbrakes were at 30-45° for nearly a minute on approach, landed HARD (people gasped!) and veered off the runway onto a taxi lane at probably 30mph. I imagine these flights are piloted by ex-carrier pilots who forget the tailhook is not available. The pilot was standing in the doorway when we deplaned. I gave him an evil look.

And then there's Chicago Midway...

Comment

• Now Aviation Week is saying go-around:

July 5th - Yemenia Flight IY626 went down on approach to the Comoros' Moroni Airport at 1:51 a.m. local time while making its second landing attempt.

So underreported, this one. I have yet to see an official statement on what is known.

Comment

I had a flight once, Lufthansa A319, Frankfurt to Prague, about 45 min. flight time. They were coming in hot, the speedbrakes were at 30-45° for nearly a minute on approach, landed HARD (people gasped!) and veered off the runway onto a taxi lane at probably 30mph. I imagine these flights are piloted by ex-carrier pilots who forget the tailhook is not available.
                When did Germany ever have carriers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                  Graf Zeppelin, never launched, probably sold to Lufthansa for pilot training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                    Even now Germany's navy has no carriers? Or can it really be Germany has no navy? In any case, there's no need for a Lufthansa pilot to be German, right?

Comment

• After all this speculation, I wonder if the final answer (from voice and data recorders) has any chance of being a complete surprise.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
                        Even now Germany's navy has no carriers? Or can it really be Germany has no navy? In any case, there's no need for a Lufthansa pilot to be German, right?
                        Correct, incorrect, correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                          Correct, incorrect, correct.
                          Hmmmmmmmmm. Pithy. Let me guess. A navy without carriers. But Lufthansa's pilot could be any nationality. Am I getting it?

Comment

• German Airforce and Navy

For landing on an Carrier you dont need to own one.
                            (German Navy Pilots did train to land on carriers owned by America and France)

Greets Haendli

Comment

• It looks like we are losing interest in what this discussion is about, hopefully there will be some news about boxes soon...

Yesterday I have done two flights as pax; dxb-bkk-kkc, first leg A380-800 and second leg on A300-600R (my favourite for many years) and still like it regardless of all the trouble created by recent accidents....

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
                                Hmmmmmmmmm. Pithy.
                                Or succinct. The questions you ask are very easily googleable.

Originally posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
                                Let me guess. A navy without carriers. But Lufthansa's pilot could be any nationality. Am I getting it?
                                Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X