Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yemeni Airliner Down in Comoros (Indian Ocean)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
    Expecting the airlines to foot the bill for airport preparedness seems to me somewhat unreasonable.
    Yeah. That's like asking drivers to pay tolls for highway and bridge facilities or boaters to pay fees for marina facilities or airlines to pay landing fees for airport facilities...

Oh wait a sec...

Comment

• Yeah. That's like asking drivers to pay tolls for highway and bridge facilities or boaters to pay fees for marina facilities or airlines to pay landing fees for airport facilities...

Oh wait a sec...

C'mon, "unfair"? Where the hell does this money come from? From the college funds of the executives. NO. The ultimate source is Mr. and Mrs. Air Traveler. And they are the very people who need search and rescue infrastructure when a plane plummets into the ocean. So what could be more fair? Well, as I've said one or two times, the city that wants an air connection could throw in a nickel or two. But mainly the airline and its customers are the ultimate direct beneficiaries and should cough up the money. Don't airlines pay fees to support the building and maintenance of airports? Is that "unfair"?

Comment

• Bahia Bakari, the sole survivor of Yemenia IY626, has given a more expanded interview:

Bahia survived 13 hours in shark-infested waters after the aircraft crashed into the Indian Ocean - despite the fact she could not swim and had no life jacket. Incredibly she spent much of the ordeal back in June 'sleeping' on a piece of debris as she waited to be rescued.

Her first thoughts were for her mother, Aziza, but Bahia was alone. She said: 'Others were alive in the water. I heard women crying. They appeared to be near me and were pleading for help. But I did not see them, or know where I was. 'I tried to join them so I wouldn't be alone, but it was difficult. I was tired, and there were waves. 'When I found myself in the water, I said to myself that it was necessary to stay awake and that rescuers would not be late arriving. 'But I stayed awake and I saw nothing. Then I fell asleep. In the morning I again remained hopeful. But then I said to myself, that's that, they're not going to find me. 'Then I heard the voices of men who had come to rescue me but I could not reach the lifebuoy and someone had to jump into the water to help me.
        Story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-waters.html

Comment

• FDR Found

Evidently the flight data recorder for this plane has been found.

The flight data recorder from the Airbus A310 operated by Yemenia Airlines that crashed on June 30 off the Comoros, killing 152 people, has been recovered, the chief investigator said on Friday.

"The investigation commission confirms that the flight data recorder... was recovered today at 8:30 am (0530 GMT)," chief investigator Ali Abdou Mohamed said in a statement.

Comment

• I assume the CVR as well...? Reuters reports both have been recovered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
              I assume the CVR as well...? Reuters reports both have been recovered.
              Dunno. The article doesn't specifically say so, the best it says is that the search was for two black boxes. The tone of the article seems to suggest that it is only the FDR but that is only my impression from the article... and you know the media.

Comment

Yeah. That's like asking drivers to pay tolls for highway and bridge facilities or boaters to pay fees for marina facilities or airlines to pay landing fees for airport facilities...

Oh wait a sec...
                The problem with safety is always going to be how much is it going to cost the public.

If the airlines have to foot the bill for minimum rescue equipment for every single airport they service, that bill will just get handed on to the passengers ticket price.

The higher the ticket prices go, the less people will fly regardless if they have the knowledge that the will have a higher chance of rescue should they survive the highly unlikely event that their aircraft might crash in the vacinity of the airport.

The less people that fly the less profitable the airlines, which ultimatly means many of the more obscure airports will end up not serviced at all as the airlines will focus only on the routes which make them money. So the new fandangle resuce services will ultimately be a waste of money as there wont be any aircraft flying there.

Now to real make it a worry is that as less people will be flying due to the increase in ticket prices. More people will drive on the roads increasing roading congestion and also increasing the road toll. So infact you will most likely have more people being killed on the roads. Likely way more than the 10 people our new special resuce squads would hope to save from our one in a million survivable aircraft crash.

Comment

• Do airlines serve too many localities? In some ways, it seems to me that official indifference has permitted transport by air to eliminate other options. And the accounting never considers the blood price. But I guess for the passengers, its their lives to put at risk. But if there isn't another way to go, do the travelers really have a free choice?

Comment

• Governments are actively encouraging more airline service precisely so less people are driving on the roads.

Its far more efficent, and far safer than driving. It also reduces congestion. its the same reason at least in australia they are expanding the rail networks to reduce the number of trucks on the roads.

It is estimated 1.2 Million people are killed on the road globally each year. This is expected to reach 2 million as developing countries like Chine and India become more mobile.

This years aviation toll globally will be about 800 people. Given two accidents have accounted for 382 deaths.

Thats a hell of a difference.

I would rather governments spent more money on road safety than special aircrash rescue squads at remote airports

Comment

• Interesting. The data recorder is found. But its damaged. Another argument for live data transmission. Get it and store it when you can because when the plane crashes, the box may survive, but the data may not. You really get one sure chance at it, when it gets generated. Everything after that comes down to pure luck.

Comment

• Amazing how Web chatter about a crash goes quiet when data recorders are being analyzed. Before they brought them up. There were multiple stories every day, a lot recycling the same info originally reported. Now that BEA presumably has the recorders in the lab, nothing at all circulates.

Comment

• Investigation

More related news, mostly on the personal aspect. http://www.news24.com/Content/Africa...victims_buried

Of interest is that we are still waiting for the release of the formal conclusion from the French investigation, but in the mean time evidently Yemen has requested a independent investigation... It seems they may not be too happy with the outcome of the French investigation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spectator View Post
                            More related news, mostly on the personal aspect. http://www.news24.com/Content/Africa...victims_buried

Of interest is that we are still waiting for the release of the formal conclusion from the French investigation, but in the mean time evidently Yemen has requested a independent investigation... It seems they may not be too happy with the outcome of the French investigation?
                            According to the BEA website, the investigation is being conducted by the Comoros authorities, not the BEA. You get the feeling this investigation is not a high-priority concern. Hopefully it will not be as glacial as their SAR efforts.

Comment

• Today is the 35th anniversary of Comores independence. One year ago, many had been returning for the festivities on the ill-fated Yemenia flight, and one year later, despite having both boxes intact, nothing has been released.

This is translated from the French, from comores-web.com:

At the inquiry, the interim investigation report on the causes of the crash of the Airbus still has not been published by the Government of our country. In September 2009, the commission of investigation, with assistance from the Office of Investigations and Analysis (BEA) announced that data were usable. But since then, nothing. Chief Investigation, Ali Mohamed Abdou, was fired for speaking out on the contents of the recorders. He was replaced by Ahmed Bourhan. The Company Yemenia, claimed last-cons expertise. It is still not completed.

Since the beginning of this year, the company Yemenia resumed flights and families of victims are still awaiting compensation. On June 17, the Comorian Government has asked the company Yemenia, the first to pay compensation, but they are slow to come. In addition to the grief of losing loved ones, families of victims feel more alone, neglected and abandoned by the authorities. It is our government to take charge of this case so that finally the families of victims of the crash and are compensated primarily publish interim investigation report on the causes of the crash and take preventive measures for such an accident not recur.
                              From the Yemen Times:

The French Charge d’Affaires in Sana’a had told the Yemen Times, “We are handling things with the widest possible transparency."
                              Ha. Right...

Comment

According to the BEA website, the investigation is being conducted by the Comoros authorities, not the BEA. You get the feeling this investigation is not a high-priority concern. Hopefully it will not be as glacial as their SAR efforts.
                                It will probably be even more glacial, if anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X