Recent Icelandic Volcanic Eruption Shuts down UK Airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
    Clouds are normally visible at night, too. Even in a very dark & moonless night one would notice the absence of stars in a direction where the weather radar shows nothing but clear sky.

That is, unless the volcanic cloud is intermixed with normal clouds, then of course you don't see anything.

What do you make of the damage found in military aircraft?

m.
    Minimal damage over short periods (15 hours), turbines (HP) limited to about 3 months usage (200 hours) No significant damage to upgraded single crystal turbine blades.

Note that the engines were subject to significantly increased operating temps and stress when compared to high bypass type engines used on airlines.

No more info on engine type or aircraft or I'd have to kill you
    Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms

Comment

Apart from all the fuss from NATS, the airlines and general consensus...the most ridiculous aspect of this incident is the grounding of our MD902 Air Ambulance down here in Kent ( southeast UK ) along with all other MD902 aircraft. Regardless of the fact that they rarely fly above 2 - 3,000 feet the engine suppliers have refused warranty claims for ALL ingestion related damage for the duration of the volcanic incident. Eurocopter emergency service models (AS 355 and EC 135/145 ) can continue to fly however.

Talk about a ridiculous kneejerk reaction !!
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Aeroflot SU 321

Looks like Aeroflot is taking their chances...
        SU 321 from SVO to LAX has already departed and SU 315 from SVO to JFK is scheduled to depart later today.
        Cross-checked with aeroflot.ru, they also have SU 321 listed as in flight.

Comment

St Elmo's Fire

Originally posted by yeti View Post
          The ash cloud was not visible to the 747 crew because the incident occurred at night....
          I thought that the ash caused St Elmo's fire.
          I was wondering if ash always does this, is it a reliable indication of danger.

If it is maybe Night flights would be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Regardless of the fact that they rarely fly above 2 - 3,000 feet the engine suppliers have refused warranty claims for ALL ingestion related damage for the duration of the volcanic incident.
            The turbofan engineers know this is destructive stuff. I would tend to listen to them. If you are flying in conditions that void the warranty, I have a hard time accepting that as safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Elden View Post
              Looks like Aeroflot is taking their chances...
              SU 321 from SVO to LAX has already departed and SU 315 from SVO to JFK is scheduled to depart later today.
              Cross-checked with aeroflot.ru, they also have SU 321 listed as in flight.
              Correct. Aeroflot has reinitiated the majority of domestic and several international flights. The latter however only to Southern European destinations, Asia, Middle East and yes, JFK (although only in a couple of hours from now). I wonder what route the JFK flight takes? Does that bring them north of Iceland?

Comment

Is the HEKLA volcano erupting too?
                I just heard it in the news, of course I was driving and didn't get too much information, but they said there is another volcano in Iceland, the Hekla and it just erupted..
                A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Ok boys and girls...NASA flew a DC-8 yesterday over Europe and came with this results:

Not good news!!
                  more info. here:
                  Discovery reports that volcanic ash from Iceland's Hekla Volcano "shredded" the jet engine of a DC-8 owned by NASA that took off from Edwards Air Force Base.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                    Ok boys and girls...NASA flew a DC-8 yesterday over Europe
                    You're always entertaining, Avion1. That flight took place in February 2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                      Is the HEKLA volcano erupting too?
                      I just heard it in the news, of course I was driving and didn't get too much information, but they said there is another volcano in Iceland, the Hekla and it just erupted..
                      No - they just pointed the webcam at the wrong volcano!! Source = http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474978183203
                      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                        You're always entertaining, Avion1. That flight took place in February 2000.
                        Really?
                        what about the date and time in the following picture?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          The turbofan engineers know this is destructive stuff. I would tend to listen to them. If you are flying in conditions that void the warranty, I have a hard time accepting that as safe.
                          But they're not flying in any kind of dangerous conditions. Unless, of course Eurocopters are flying in clean air only, because there is no problem as far as Eurocopter is concerned !!

I see this as a simple get-out clause from paying out on warranties. Remember, I said ANY ingestion damage cause, not just ash ingestion.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                            Really?
                            what about the date and time in the following picture?
                            It's wrong. The NASA DC-8 incident was in February 2000 when it encountered an unexpected ash cloud from Iceland somewhere over northern Scandinavia. This wasn't even a volcanic test flight. The encounter was less than 10 minutes and all four engines had to be overhauled. I think those pictures are from a Finnish F-18 that flew into the ash cloud on an exercise 4-5 days ago.

Comment

• Are all plane types equally affected? To close down airspace spreads a net that catches every type of plane with every type of propulsion. Is that reasonable?

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                                ............I think those pictures are from a Finnish F-18 that flew into the ash cloud on an exercise 4-5 days ago.
                                That is correct - I referenced this picture in post #33 a few days ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X