United Airlines 744 Tail Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines 744 Tail Strike

A United 747-400 departing Sydney's RW34L struck the tail on the runway during departure. It returned after dumping fuel.
    Dreadful news article here:

Aircraft was N128UA.

Note to investigators/engineers - check the rear pressure bulkhead and repairs very carefully.

Only 220 on board eh? Now there are four airlines competing on this patch the pickings certainly are thinner...

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
      Note to investigators/engineers - check the rear pressure bulkhead and repairs very carefully.
      Wow, I sure am glad you mentioned this to them. I just hope they are reading jetphotos.net for repair advice.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins View Post
        Wow, I sure am glad you mentioned this to them. I just hope they are reading jetphotos.net for repair advice.
        No need for such a snotty retort. He has a good point.
        Who's on first?..........

Comment

I hope they do as well...considering past events...

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post

Only 220 on board eh? Now there are four airlines competing on this patch the pickings certainly are thinner...
            Do airlines even take off with so many empty seats, anymore? Guess I'll have to revise my notions of what the business is like.

Comment

Defineatly. Check that bulkhead (Rearhead!?) and watch NatGeo's world's toughest fixes!

Comment

Honestly...learn some sarcasm folks.

Do you really think after JAP123/JA8119 they will half-heartedly check the rear bulkhead and sign off on it?

Comment

Boeing and Airbus should install retractable tailskids on their aircraft. Years ago, the Boeing B-29 and Convair B-36 Bombers employed the use of retractable tailskids.

Rick G.

Comment

Do you really think after JAP123/JA8119 they will half-heartedly check the rear bulkhead and sign off on it?
                    No. That would be entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      No. That would be entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

How quickly some learn!

Comment

Gee was there a crash involving a rear bulkhead poorly repaired on a JAL flight some years ago?

I would never have known. I just wanted the engineers to be careful...

Yep sarcasm, did you really believe that the engineers check this blog for my tips... sheesh...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
                          Boeing and Airbus should install retractable tailskids on their aircraft. Years ago, the Boeing B-29 and Convair B-36 Bombers employed the use of retractable tailskids.
                          Boeing does have tailskids on a number of airplanes. The 727 and the 767 have retractable ones, whereas the ones on 737-400, -800 and -900 they have tailbumpers that do not retract.

Comment

Thanks Peter K. I had forgotten about the 727 having tailskids, and I did not realize regarding the 767, and the 737.

My knowledge of such aircraft details is spotty, as I do not have frequent close up viewing access to airports or the aircraft.

I do enjoy visiting / reading this message board since having discovered it, and I also enjoy posting messages and replying to messages on occasion.

Bear with me everyone as I endeavour to learn more about this enjoyable and interesting subject.

Rick G.

Comment

I've often noticed on the heavy departures from Sydney that United's use of Flap 10 leads to a very high nose attitude on lift off compared to Qantas' Flap 20 takeoffs.
                              [photoid=6843384]

Comment

Working...
                              X