X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reubee View Post
    ... as was the AF447 co-pilot
    Was he? Even more amazing...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Video from inside the plane upon crash landing

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        One thing: we are seeing this as a failure of both the primary and alternative gear systems, and finding it hard to believe both would fail at the same time. But is it possible that the alternative gear system had failed long before this and the fault had gone undetected, and then only revealed when the center hydraulic system failed and they put it to use? How often is this system tested? Could other aircraft have similar unknown failures?
        Apparently the alternate gear relies on an electric motor. The centre hydraulic system's primary power is provided by two electric pumps.

So maybe some sort of electrical failure is involved. However there's also an air driven pump which can power C system.

Comment

Evan is quite correct. There is probably a lot of truth in the glider pilots ability to keep things in perspective with the engines out however.

You are used to forced landings since every landing is in essence, a forced landing. Practice is nice but coming into a farm field with instructor or examiner ready give the throttle back is close but not the same.

This fellow did a marvelous job and that does not detract from his performance but how much difference is there between a normal approach and an approach without gear. Probably about 10' or 12 feet?

He had the luxury of a go-round if things did not line up, Sullenberger had no such luck. He was going down.

Regarding the connection with AF 447 .... it's absurd.

Glider pilot or not, the FO would have no shot at night unless he had a very, very, very bright lights and was aware of the situation. Perhaps if the lights of Smolensk were trained on ... I have never even heard of a glider night operation and probably for a good reason.

Regarding foam or no foam, I am surprised that some feel that foam is academic at best. I thought it lessened the friction and reduced the heat and spark potential?
          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
            He had the luxury of a go-round if things did not line up, Sullenberger had no such luck.
            I wonder if he did. Tower offered to put another layer of foam on the runway, which would take about 15 min. but they refused saying that they may not have enough fuel for that.

Comment

Down under:

Comment

I know of glider pilots that have flown on a very bright moonlit night. I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                  I know of glider pilots that have flown on a very bright moonlit night. I wouldn't do it.
                  I knew a glider pilot who did a loop... around a bridge. I also wouldn't do it.

Comment

That picture down under looks not that bad. To me it looks like she might be rebuild and flying again. Is damage like that easy to fix and how long will it take to get her flying or she will never fly again? What you think? Patch her up, put new engines on fix the hydraulics and we are good to go.

Comment

I used to know a guy like that. He took out our tow plane in the pattern.

Sadly, he took two other good people with him.

I refused to launch any planes with him anywhere near the pattern (club field), and got grief for it. What he was doing; his final act speaking of loops, he would fly the pattern "hot", do a low high speed pass and into a loop to land.

He never saw the tow plane when he looked down to clear the field prior to his "stunt", it wasn't on the ground, it was at 800 feet and dead ahead of him.

Comment

Nice pic Peter (makes me cringe being a former tin-bender), I guess he burned off and dumped every spare ounce of fuel.

That had got to make you wonder, not second guess or criticize, but wonder what the right thing to do is .. by the book. Dump fuel or leave enough for another pass?

Comment

Originally posted by justLOT787 View Post
                          That picture down under looks not that bad. To me it looks like she might be rebuild and flying again. Is damage like that easy to fix and how long will it take to get her flying or she will never fly again? What you think? Patch her up, put new engines on fix the hydraulics and we are good to go.
                          Very likely she will fly again but it will take more detailed tests and inspections than just looking at the bottom side and kicking the tires.

Comment

Speed tape and a little TLC?

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                              Speed tape and a little TLC?
                              And off to some African carrier it goes .

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                                Very likely she will fly again but it will take more detailed tests and inspections than just looking at the bottom side and kicking the tires.
                                Major aircraft companies have teams that specialize in repairing damaged aircraft. Here is info on the Boeing team.

I am intrigued what will happen to a composite aircraft such as the 787 in this type situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X