X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Noah? scam suspected

I strongly suspect the following message is a scam

"Dear David dubya Wilson

I have a website and need some photos for the design and I really like yours. so I wanted to ask you

if I can use it. I do not take any money from your pictures they are for design only. Of course I

also give you as a source.

Noah

----------

Sent from photo https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10913725 "

There were other clickables in the message.

If "Noah" is part of the JP Team, he needs to explain his role more fully.

Whether it is a legitimate message or not let me be clear. Like most of the photographers submitting to this site I have a serious investment in equipment and time.

Whilst I allow my captures to be used in the usual way by Jetphotos and Flightradar24, offering recognition for other uses cannot be implied and I retain full copyright of images I have captured and uploaded for sole use by Jetphotos and Flightradar24.

Any unauthorised use of my images may result in legal actions in appropriate jurisdictions.

Requests to use my images may be granted in the following circumstances.

1. The request comes from a verifiable source which I can access other than through embedded URLs.
    2. The permission will be for a single stated use which I pre-approve.
    3. There will be an offering of a reasonable consideration which I may or may not accept; acknowledgement just does not reward me for my investment in equipment and time.

I suggest others supporting Jetphotos adopt similar postures and folk beware of clicking embedded links.

--
    --
    David dubya Wilson

Hi,
    communication is everything. Why wouldn't you ask him for more information on the purpose of the website? And if you don't want your images to be used then just write that to him in a reply rather on the forum?
    My images have been used extensively in a book on Ethiopian Airlines after such a similar message. I don't need to be paid as this is just my hobby and I appreciate my images being used rather than staying on my harddisk. We all have different standpoints in this and I don't see why others should adopt similar postures.
    thanks

Comment

Not sure what is the point of your post.
      Many JP contributors receive such messages from different subjects to allow the usage of photos. Nothing wrong with that, some even make money out of such process.
      Regarding Noah - why do you assume he's JP Crew member? (he is not, you may check all the Crew staff in "About" section of JP Site).

Comment

Originally posted by sanderzwart View Post
        Hi,
        Why wouldn't you ask him for more information on the purpose of the website?
        The message came from "[email protected]". He provided no information about himself, location, affiliation or status. There was a click-through for my image and a very long suspicious looking unsubscribe click-through. I only click-through when I'm sure of whom I'm dealing with.

And if you don't want your images to be used then just write that to him in a reply rather on the forum?
        It's weird that he provided no way for me to communicate with him. There was a click to my photo and a click to a suspicious overlong unsubscribe. I think that justifies my starting a discussion about communication on the forum suggesting that our photos may have value and that communicators should identify themselves. I think I am providing a service to the community by flagging up the dangers of clicking suspicious URLs. Perhaps I'm over-sensitised by witnessing my technical colleagues in Computer Science Departments spending many hours fighting invasive viruses in large teaching labs being hijacked.

My images have been used extensively in a book on Ethiopian Airlines after such a similar message. I don't need to be paid as this is just my hobby and I appreciate my images being used rather than staying on my harddisk. We all have different standpoints in this and I don't see why others should adopt similar postures.
        thanks
        Similarly, I have allowed my images to be used by entities which identify themselves. One of my images graces the maintenance management office of one of the world's biggest airlines in consideration of a hangar tour guided by the aircraft delivery manager. As you say, there are different standpoints. I don't think my hobby should undermine those attempting to make a legitimate living.
        --
        David dubya Wilson

Comment

Just click reply and the mail of the sender appears in the to line. I agree that's a bit unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldgyte View Post

The message came from "[email protected]". He provided no information about himself, location, affiliation or status. There was a click-through for my image and a very long suspicious looking unsubscribe click-through. I only click-through when I'm sure of whom I'm dealing with.
            That means it was sent using the photographer contact form (the blue button above Album / Like Share on every photo). The unsubscribe form will unsub you from receiving emails via the JP contact form, from what I understand.
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Aldgyte has just received a message through the "Contact" link under this photo. All good and nothing to worry about. You'd need to reply to the e-mail. Here, all is said *thumbsup*

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair View Post
                Aldgyte has just received a message through the "Contact" link under this photo. All good and nothing to worry about. You'd need to reply to the e-mail. Here, all is said *thumbsup*
                I'm not 100% certain of what this sentence means but I'm taking it to be the equivalent of "Nothing to see here folks. Please move along", so thanks for that.

I have now hit "reply" and pasted my terms as above. The message came from [email protected], which led me to believe it might be from the team.

I note that the "Contact photographer..." button routine is designed to protect the e-mail address of the photographer but this is defeated if one replys to the contact using the "reply" button on the "noreply" e-mail.

It seems like an intractable problem, unless the requestor identifies themselves in a verifiable way or gives some means of communication where the photographer's anonymity can be preserved.

I believe that the developers of Arpanet and later Sir Tim Berners-Lee never envisioned the dark-side use of their constructs.

One of my favourite cop shows ended morning briefings with "Be careful out there."
                --
                David dubya Wilson

Comment

I note that the "Contact photographer..." button routine is designed to protect the e-mail address of the photographer but this is defeated if one replys to the contact using the "reply" button on the "noreply" e-mail.
                  Yes and no.

It prevents the address from being publicly available. It's up to you to reply, and it's really up to you if you want to use your main address or make a one time use gmail account to reply to it.
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                    it's really up to you if you want to use your main address or make a one time use gmail account to reply to it.
                    Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I've been trying to divest e-mail accounts since fully retiring but a rolling one time use process is a solution that didn't occur to me.

Best
                    --
                    David dubya Wilson

--
                    David dubya Wilson

Comment

I'm not 100% certain of what this sentence means but I'm taking it to be the equivalent of "Nothing to see here folks. Please move along", so thanks for that.
                      It was exactly that so with all the take aways, I'm gonna close here shortly. Thanks for raising it though!

Comment

Working...
                      X