• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PortColumbus
    replied
    Originally posted by fly1346
    damn i can feel a fight breaking out!!

When will the meet be, maybe we can have 1 more this year at the spot that gets voted the highest on the poll!!! (Hopefully NYC)

Are most of you still in school? I was thinking somewhere in June, when most schools and universities are out. Preferrably a weekend, right?

Leave a comment:

• PortColumbus
    replied
    Originally posted by c72
    Originally posted by PortColumbus
    Originally posted by Longreach747
    how about we have a JP crew meetup and the rest can get stuffed!

atleast we know we will have a quick and easy consensus unlike these kids who expect us to fly to the USA again.
    Keep the smartass comments out of here. We don't all have the resources to go globetrotting like yourself, and this is completely seperate from whatever meet you concoct.

So what if the Main meet up ended up in your own back yard, or even ATL, ORD, JFK....who knows?? I know the story will be alot different if that was the case, which is why I made my post.

Mr. Longreach747 has already stated it will NOT be in North America.
    Monty has a right to say what he wants..............the "smartass comment" is rude, he puts alot of time into this site, so think twice when you "bash" a crew member!
    It was a smartass comment, his more rude than mine. If you have no interest in this meetup, please let us be.

Leave a comment:

• Chasen_KSFO
    replied
    Ya, I've always wanted to see ATL. I voted for it. Is it like Delta after Delta there though? Like how MSP is sometimes 8 or 9 NWA DC9's or Airbuses in a row.

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Well in that case...i say it be in the NYC area...or PHL

Leave a comment:

• srbmod
    Guest replied
    As it was already mentioned, the Renaissance on the northside of ATL is one of the better spots on the north end of the airport. There are a few other spots depending upon wind directions, most of them by North Cargo, giving got photo ops on the 26s. The Holiday North on Virginia Avenue has some alright views, and some other good spots are along Loop Road heading towards Camp Creek Parkway and I-85. The College Park MARTA station sits right in the flight path for the North runways (I've been walking to the station and the a/c are low enough to read the regos.), and you can get some good shots when the 8s are in use.

As for the southside of the airport, the best spots have "no parking" signs, so one would have to park away from those signs and walk to those good spots. There's a decent spot at the corner of Loop Road and Clark Howell Hwy right before you go over I-285. It's a decent spot for takeoff shots when they're using 27R. You have to walk down the street about 100 feet or so to take any side on landing shots on 27L. I haven't really scoped out any sites for spotting when the 9s are in use.

These are the areas I've reconned over the years, a few of my old spots are now gone due to the fifth runway project and the realignment of several of the major roads on the southside of the airport. I'll do some more riding around and report back (that's what's good about working right by the airport).

Dekalb-Peachtree Airport (PDK) is about a 25-30 minute drive from ATL, and actually has a park that offers a good vantage point, plus the patio decks at the Downwind Cafe and the 57th Fighter Group have good photo spots too. Quite a few bizjets and GA here, the second busiest airport in the state.

Fulton County Airport (FTY) is about a 15-20 minute drive from ATL. I've not really scoped out this airfield, as most of the times I've been by there, I was on the way to something in the area and could not really take the time to check the area out. The airport is a lot slower than PDK, but does have a variety of GA and bizjet.

I know of some other fields (Falcon Field, Tara Field, Berry Hill Airport) in the area, but there's not much traffic. Berry Hill's a neat little GA field because the runway is close enough to the road that a/c on finals practically buzz cars on the street. It's a GA version of St. Maarten.

Leave a comment:

• Chasen_KSFO
    replied
    uhhh this one is FOR the USA. As in, unlike the other one, this ones locataion WILL be in North America. If you want to go to europe, start a new thread about that.

I say something in the eastern US would be great. I would love to see ATL, the NYC area airports, and MIA. Can't decide which one I would enjoy more :P

Leave a comment:

• fly1346
    replied
    damn i can feel a fight breaking out!!

When will the meet be, maybe we can have 1 more this year at the spot that gets voted the highest on the poll!!! (Hopefully NYC)

Leave a comment:

• c72
    replied
    Originally posted by Longreach747
    how about we have a JP crew meetup and the rest can get stuffed!

atleast we know we will have a quick and easy consensus unlike these kids who expect us to fly to the USA again.
    Keep the smartass comments out of here. We don't all have the resources to go globetrotting like yourself, and this is completely seperate from whatever meet you concoct.

So what if the Main meet up ended up in your own back yard, or even ATL, ORD, JFK....who knows?? I know the story will be alot different if that was the case, which is why I made my post.

Mr. Longreach747 has already stated it will NOT be in North America.
    Monty has a right to say what he wants..............the "smartass comment" is rude, he puts alot of time into this site, so think twice when you "bash" a crew member!

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Who voted for PHL??

Also, don't u think that one meet up thread is enough?

Leave a comment:

• PortColumbus
    replied
    Originally posted by pullin4u

Thank you for the tidbit about ORD. It seems like we have the support for ATL, and it should fit your spotting criteria above. Would you be able, schedule and finances permitting, to attend an ATL meet?

I think this meetup WILL have a younger base, but certainly everyone is welcome.
    Depending, as you said, on finances and schedule, yes. I think ATL would be a fun place to spot, I kinda like DL anyways.
    Please don't think that I was setting down the "spotting criteria", I just thought those were good ideas to keep in mind.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere about a hotel that affords excellent views at ATL...can't remember which one though.
    Actually, your spotting suggestions are important to keep in mind.

The Renaissance at ATL is what you're referring to, I believe. The weekends I've noticed go for about $89/night, which isn't bad at all.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    HNL...not that I'd have enough money to join

Leave a comment:

• MD11Forever
    replied

Thank you for the tidbit about ORD. It seems like we have the support for ATL, and it should fit your spotting criteria above. Would you be able, schedule and finances permitting, to attend an ATL meet?

I think this meetup WILL have a younger base, but certainly everyone is welcome.
    Depending, as you said, on finances and schedule, yes. I think ATL would be a fun place to spot, I kinda like DL anyways.
    Please don't think that I was setting down the "spotting criteria", I just thought those were good ideas to keep in mind.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere about a hotel that affords excellent views at ATL...can't remember which one though.

Leave a comment:

• PortColumbus
    replied
    Originally posted by pullin4u
    I just wanted to mention something about the choice of ORD in the poll--- while it would be nice (very close for me, and has heavy/varied traffic), I don't think that there is any place there that would accomodate a group of spotters. The few places that exist are rather dependent on the wind direction (aka which runway in use) and what type of day the local police are having. My own personal trips there are largely spur of the moment, based on wind forecasts and my job schedule. I've already been partially skunked once when the winds did something different than forecasted- I'd hate to see someone spend a bunch of money to fly in there and go away without seeing any action. If it happens to me, oh well, it is a 3-hour drive. But the person who just flew in from the east coast, or Canada, or wherever it would really suck.
    I'm not ruling it out, but keep in mind that any place chosen should probably have a combination of a) heavy/moderate traffic b) easily accesible spotting area where a group would not be hassled c) this spotting area in a location where the meet would not be wasted depending on wind direction (such as the only place to spot being on a different runway that the active).
    Just my $02 worth.
    For the record, seeing as how some people seem to be generalizing that this proposed US meetup is for "the kids", I am 34 years old, married, with a house and bills. I am simply not able to jet off worldwide for a spotting trip, as much as I may like to. It is much easier for me to make a trip inside the US, Canada, or Carribean on a budget. Couple costs involved with the general world attitude towards Americans and I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable at certain locations internationally.
    They Sydney meet or Japan or somewhere else sounds like a really great idea- just something that is more than likely out of my reach for the forseeable future. I can understand completely the people who likewise cannot afford or do not desire to fly over here to the US.
    Peace everyone. Enough problems in the world already to argue over something that is proposed as a fun event.

Leave a comment:

• PortColumbus
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisBelle

Now, would you be interested in attending the US meet? So far our best option is ATL.

I'd be up for it is its in Miami or Atlanta, being that I'll at Riddle, its just closer. But as always, time will only tell whether or not it would all work out in the end for me to come.
    Excellent, at this point we're just evaluating our options and we need more suggestions like yours.

Srbmod, if you get a chance, could you outline the spotting areas available at ATL?

Leave a comment:

• MD11Forever
    replied
    I just wanted to mention something about the choice of ORD in the poll--- while it would be nice (very close for me, and has heavy/varied traffic), I don't think that there is any place there that would accomodate a group of spotters. The few places that exist are rather dependent on the wind direction (aka which runway in use) and what type of day the local police are having. My own personal trips there are largely spur of the moment, based on wind forecasts and my job schedule. I've already been partially skunked once when the winds did something different than forecasted- I'd hate to see someone spend a bunch of money to fly in there and go away without seeing any action. If it happens to me, oh well, it is a 3-hour drive. But the person who just flew in from the east coast, or Canada, or wherever it would really suck.
    I'm not ruling it out, but keep in mind that any place chosen should probably have a combination of a) heavy/moderate traffic b) easily accesible spotting area where a group would not be hassled c) this spotting area in a location where the meet would not be wasted depending on wind direction (such as the only place to spot being on a different runway that the active).
    Just my $02 worth.
    For the record, seeing as how some people seem to be generalizing that this proposed US meetup is for "the kids", I am 34 years old, married, with a house and bills. I am simply not able to jet off worldwide for a spotting trip, as much as I may like to. It is much easier for me to make a trip inside the US, Canada, or Carribean on a budget. Couple costs involved with the general world attitude towards Americans and I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable at certain locations internationally.
    They Sydney meet or Japan or somewhere else sounds like a really great idea- just something that is more than likely out of my reach for the forseeable future. I can understand completely the people who likewise cannot afford or do not desire to fly over here to the US.
    Peace everyone. Enough problems in the world already to argue over something that is proposed as a fun event.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X