Hypothetical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
    Pfft, just freaking plead guilty. I mean what chance do you have to actually win the case?
    I'm not sure but I am hoping that I have a good shot. The special agent said that this thing would stay on my record potentially forever, and that is something that just can't happen for me. I have to fight this thing with everything I have or else my immediate future isn't going to be too fun and dandy....

Besides, I got a letter from UND that said alcohol-related citations, even ones that could be labled "indiscretions of youth", tend to feck people wanting to be pilots. I'm not about to let one stupid mistake screw me over.

I have to give it a shot; you never know, in a few weeks everything could be ! Or, if it turns out that I wasted my money on a lawyer, the sh*t is going to hit the fan.

Keep in mind, this is all still hypothetical of course...
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Short answer is its not going to help. Like any negative turn it into a positive.
      Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
        It's fine herpa2003. In 5-10 years time when your at that interview they will see this happened so long ago and it's not like it's murder or anything, so they'll put it in the Irrelevant catagory.
        You're part right about that, but also part wrong. Its not that big of a deal and will probably be put off as a youthful indescretion, however, if there are a lot of people applying with you, all of them with similar qualifications, its easy to to find ways to narrow 'em down. IE. "well, lets put all of them with the spotless record in the hire pile, and everybody else in the trash"

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
        Most juvenile offense records are sealed at the age of 18...
        from what I have heard, while technically "sealed" they'll find out. This was straight out of one of the chief pilots from Alaska when he came to speak here at UND. I'd say the best thing is absolutely under no circumstances have this happen again. If it happens once, they might say "well, he learned his lesson" but if it happens again probably not. Remember, you'll be competing against a huge amount of people for airline jobs.

Oh yeah, and one really important thing. If it ever comes up, especially in an interview, DO NOT lie about it. That would be a gaurenteed show stopper.

Comment

Don't get caught next time?

Were hypothetically walking around with it or something?

Comment

haha, lol, and was it hypothetical beer, hypothetical vodka or what?

Comment

I got a drinking award when I was 20. The older generations were legally allowed to drink when they were over 19 so what are they going to say? Besides, it is a misdemeanor offence, like having a dog off a leash. I'd save the money and just plead guilty. Why is it absolutely necessary for this to not be on your record?

Mike
              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
              lp.org

Comment

No offense, but this is kinda funny. In Ithaca there is no such thing as going to court. Most cops would take your beer, and just drink it later Maybe you would get a warning or a fine but most cops are just happy to take a 30 pack from your hands!

Comment

Hypothetically, I wish the people who hypothetically busted me were normal cops. They were agents of some type (they introduced themselves as "Special Agent" so-and-so) and drove unmarked cars. Hypothetically, they think that they saw me pay someone to buy some hypothetical beverages at a hypothetical gas station. They followed us in a hypothetical unmarked car and hypothetically pulled us over. My parents proceeded to hypothetically find out, which wasn't too pleasant as they (my parents) had busted me for three similar incidents (no cops involved) that made me promise to never make a stupid decision again. Then this happened. Basically, everthing that I had been hiding from my friends and family has become public knowledge within the past month. In May I was on cloud nine, having fun every night and not feeling any consequences. My parents trusted me, even though my actions were unworthy at the time. They even trusted me with the house alone on two seperate occasions, and on those two occasions I betrayed their trust three times. They found out about all three incidents a few weeks ago, thought that I was back on an upward track, and then this happened....

Normally, I wouldn't waste the money on a lawyer, but the penalty for a guilty plea is a revocation of the individual's driver's license (for a LONG time), fines, court fees, and community service. It also stays on the individual's record as a misdemeanor conviction. Hopefully with a good lawyer I can keep my license and get this thing dropped or at least erased from my record when I turn 21.

Anyways, all of the info really does help. I mean, in a hypothetical situation and all...
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

[Hypothetical note to self]
                    If ever illegally obtaining alchohol will park away from place of purchase and walk to and from while making sure nobody is following. Or just ride bike, and cut through places the agents can't go.
                    [/Hypothetical note to self]

What happened to the hypothetical person that got paid by your hypothetical self in all this?

Comment

The hypothetical answer is Trash Bag Liner.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                        Hypothetically, I wish the people who hypothetically busted me were normal cops. They were agents of some type (they introduced themselves as "Special Agent" so-and-so) and drove unmarked cars. Hypothetically, they think that they saw me pay someone to buy some hypothetical beverages at a hypothetical gas station. They followed us in a hypothetical unmarked car and hypothetically pulled us over. My parents proceeded to hypothetically find out, which wasn't too pleasant as they (my parents) had busted me for three similar incidents (no cops involved) that made me promise to never make a stupid decision again. Then this happened. Basically, everthing that I had been hiding from my friends and family has become public knowledge within the past month. In May I was on cloud nine, having fun every night and not feeling any consequences. My parents trusted me, even though my actions were unworthy at the time. They even trusted me with the house alone on two seperate occasions, and on those two occasions I betrayed their trust three times. They found out about all three incidents a few weeks ago, thought that I was back on an upward track, and then this happened....

Normally, I wouldn't waste the money on a lawyer, but the penalty for a guilty plea is a revocation of the individual's driver's license (for a LONG time), fines, court fees, and community service. It also stays on the individual's record as a misdemeanor conviction. Hopefully with a good lawyer I can keep my license and get this thing dropped or at least erased from my record when I turn 21.

Anyways, all of the info really does help. I mean, in a hypothetical situation and all...

so getting busted once by your parents wasn't enough to make you go "eh, i can wait". Drinking really isn't that special. Not worth being stupid about anyway. I know at your age, getting drunk is "cool". But whether or not you're old enough or not, drink responsibly...which, in my opinion, if you're underage means not drinking at all. Especially if you have aspirations to move into a field where saying "eh, I dont like that rule, I'm not going to follow it" can and will get you killed.
                        Last edited by screaming_emu; 2006-07-03, 13:48.

Comment

Not sure how all of your laws work in the U.S.A, however in Ontario any offenses commited under the Young Offenders Act are sealed when you reach 18. They are not carried forward into your adult life.

Comment

Um, no offense, but you Hypothetical story seems kinda scethcy
                            I'm glad Ithacans would rather waste money and plant trees then hier undercover cops

Comment

Originally posted by PIAA310
                              hahahahhahahaahahah, lmao the Fedex one sounds like a good idea hahaha.
                              Well considering I "hypothetically" have 6 sharks swimming around in a cooler in my friends garage, I may just "hypothetically" give it a go.

Anyway, I agree with everything Joe just said. Once you come of age, you can drink all you want. Your not missing anything if you don't start drinking now. I go to parties all the time, and I've done(and will continue to do) some pretty stupid things(Refer to "hypothetical" statement above), but I have never had a second thought at rejecting an offer drink(or any harmful substance for that matter). And no one ever has belittled me for doing so. From a young age I knew it could be devistating to my future. I'm stupid enough when I'm sober, theres no telling what I'd do drunk. And if I were caught, my flight lessons would go out the window, and with my borderline grades, my shot at the school of my choice would probably disapear as well. I hope to take the same career path you've chosen, and along this path responsibility and decision making are key skills. So you should keep these thoughts in mind next your tempted to drink. Besides, there will always be plenty of time to sit around drunk off your ass once you turn 18.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                                Live and learn.

Lets say I was hypothetically going to go fishing for tiger sharks in the San Francisco bay. Then lets say I ran around with them on the 4th of July and threw one through an open window into my ex-girlfriends room. Then lets say I hypothertically dump 5 or 6 into the swimming pool of my rival High School. While we're at it, what if I were to leave a shark on someones doorstep, ring the doorbell, and videotape the reaction from a safe distance. Or even better, wear my friend's FedEx uniform, and wheel a shark in a fishtank to someones door and insist they ordered it. Would this be a no-no?
                                lmfao!

Comment

Working...
                                X