Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Vows to Defend New Abortion Law

This is a very sensitive topic and I need to lay out some rules:

1. Everyone will respect others opinions.
    2. There will be no name calling.
    3. No arguing.
    4. Use common sense.

If you have a problem with one of the rules above, you WILL NOT post here. If you do, I will request that your post be removed by one of the moderators.

Ok, now for the discussion. Read the article and tell whether you think it should be a law or not and why.

NEW YORK (Nov. 7) - The government promised to defend a new law banning certain late-term abortions, despite rulings by three federal judges who blocked its enforcement so legal challenges - which they concluded would likely succeed - can go forward.

Federal judges in New York and California blocked the law Thursday, a day after it was signed by President Bush. The rulings likely prevent enforcement of the ban nationwide until a challenge to its constitutionality can be heard.

The Justice Department said in a statement that it ''will continue to strongly defend the law prohibiting partial birth abortions using every resource necessary.''

Judge Richard Casey in Manhattan suspended the effect of the law for 10 days, saying he expected an association of abortion providers in the United States and Canada and seven doctors will succeed in their challenge. The National Abortion Federation says its members perform half of abortions nationwide.

Later in the day, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton in San Francisco ruled the law appears unconstitutional because it provides no exemptions for a woman's health, mirroring the reasons cited by the other judges and affecting doctors at 900 Planned Parenthood clinics nationwide.

The two rulings together cover a majority of the abortion providers in the United States.

On Wednesday, less than an hour after Bush signed the law, a federal judge in Nebraska made a similar ruling that covers four abortion doctors licensed in 13 states across the Midwest and East.

It cited arguments it made in court papers that Congress considered testimony over an eight-year period, including physicians who ''uniformly agreed that a partial-birth abortion is never necessary to advance the health or life of women.''

Casey noted in his three-page order granting a temporary restraining order that a government lawyer told him at a Wednesday hearing that the medical community remains divided over the issue and that Congress did not reach a consensus.

He said the position left him with no choice but to ''conclude that it is substantially likely'' that the law will be found unconstitutional.

Douglas Johnson, a spokesman for the National Right to Life Committee, said the New York judge's ruling was ''not surprising but it is distressing.''

ABC News "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos lends his veteran savvy to answer your political questions.

''It means that partly born babies will continue to die at the point of 7-inch scissors,'' he said. ''Certainly these judicial orders severely impede the government's ability to protect these premature infants.''

The new law outlaws a procedure generally performed in the second or third trimester in which a fetus is partially delivered before being killed, usually by puncturing its skull. Anti-abortion activists call the procedure ''partial-birth abortion.'' President Clinton had twice vetoed similar bills.

Opponents of the law say it is overly broad, lacks any exemption for the health of a woman and could outlaw several safe and common procedures. They also contended it is the first step in a larger campaign to ban all abortions and undo Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court's 1973 landmark decision establishing a woman's right to an abortion.

Abortion-rights advocates expect a showdown over the new law with the Bush administration at the U.S. Supreme Court.

Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, which argued the case in New York, said the ACLU was ''enormously gratified but not surprised that that law appears now to be unconstitutional.''

ACLU attorney Talcott Camp said the organization got calls from worried physicians after the law took effect Wednesday without court rulings immediately nullifying its effect.

Camp said they ''were indeed panicked at the prospect of having to face criminal prosecution for providing the absolute best medical care they can.''

The law imposes a two-year prison sentence on doctors.

''We're awfully glad to be able to protect women all over the country against this dangerous, inappropriate intrusion by the government into their private, medical decision,'' she said.

The rulings Thursday brought relief, though ''we were confident that this law would be temporarily enjoined because it is so obviously dangerous and unconstitutional,'' she said.

Camp said it ''would be quite troubling indeed if the Justice Department attempted to enforce'' the ban while the challenges were pending.

11-07-03 1008EST

Abortion is wrong. PERIOD. Any abortion should be a felony, even if the person was raped, no one said you have to keep the baby. It is just plain wrong.

I think that abortion is OK. And this is coming from a vegetarian

Seriously,

I think that if a woman was raped, she has a right to not take the kid. One of my sister's friends was raped in downtown Atlanta, and she became pregnant. She was 19, in a dorm, boyfriendless, and penniless. And she should keep a kid? OK, no prob, adoption is there. But why make the kid live in an orphanage with so many kids packed in without any love?

A child deserves the best. No "potential family" or "foster care". The only reasons I have come across (not KNOW) for adoption is 1) can't produce a kid 2) want to help out in the world by taking a child in.

There is truly nothing wrong with abortion. People do worse to animals, and you can say they are "inferior and stupid" but they are living and breathing just as us. They are both God's creation (is this where conflict begins? ) and deserve to live. Killing a child during birth is not immoral, since that child has no life. Face it, if a kid dies two minutes after the head leaves the body, then he/she has little to remember about life. No damn, I wish I lived upto my prom or damn, I wish I learned to walk. Just a *cry* die. It sounds gruesome and immoral, but things are often different from what they sound like. Partial-birth abortion is WRONG if it is done by puncturing the child's skull. That's just upsetting. However, if it is done in a painless way, theres nothing wrong with it. If no no one want the kid, let's face it. He doesn't have to stay. The world is overpopulated as it is. Also there are not many memories a few minutes into life.... but I think I've discussed that.

And speaking from a religious angle, I'm sure that where ever the child goes after dying (I'm for reincarnation), It'd be better than the situation here on this miserable planet. I know Earth has so much beauty and wonder, but it is indeed approaching a line of control.

Comment

Now I'm against abortion and it would have to be a 1 in a million case before I would say its ok. I believe it is murder and that life begins @ conception. That said...

This kind of "procedure" has no medical purpose whatsoever. It is the brutal killing of a child that could easily survive on its own. People always bring up "what about rape and incest?". Well, why wait 8 or 9 months? While I still consider it murder regardless of when the abortion is done, why not get it over with within a few months of becoming pregnant? Why kill the child after it could survive on its own?

People are always whining "This is the first step to outlawing abortion". While I would love for this to happen, it isn't going to until, as President Bush said, "We change the hearts of the nation". Besides, the only way to outlaw it again is to either have the Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade or to pass a Constitutional Amendment. Both of which are not likely in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
        Now I'm against abortion and it would have to be a 1 in a million case before I would say its ok. I believe it is murder and that life begins @ conception. That said...

This kind of "procedure" has no medical purpose whatsoever. It is the brutal killing of a child that could easily survive on its own. People always bring up "what about rape and incest?". Well, why wait 8 or 9 months? Why I still consider it murder regardless of when the abortion is done, why not get it over with within a few months of becoming pregnant? Why kill the child after it could survive on its own?

People are always whining "This is the first step to outlawing abortion". While I would love for this to happen, it isn't going to until, as President Bush said, "We change the hearts of the nation". Besides, the only way to outlaw it again is to either have the Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade or to pass a Constitutional Amendment. Both of which are not likely in the foreseeable future.
        I agree! Couldn't have said it any better

Comment

Double Post.
          AIRIGAMI.NET
          http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
            Seriously,

I think that if a woman was raped, she has a right to not take the kid. One of my sister's friends was raped in downtown Atlanta, and she became pregnant. She was 19, in a dorm, boyfriendless, and penniless. And she should keep a kid? OK, no prob, adoption is there. But why make the kid live in an orphanage with so many kids packed in without any love?

A child deserves the best. No "potential family" or "foster care". The only reasons I have come across (not KNOW) for adoption is 1) can't produce a kid 2) want to help out in the world by taking a child in.

There is truly nothing wrong with abortion. People do worse to animals, and you can say they are "inferior and stupid" but they are living and breathing just as us. They are both God's creation (is this where conflict begins? ) and deserve to live. Killing a child during birth is not immoral, since that child has no life. Face it, if a kid dies two minutes after the head leaves the body, then he/she has little to remember about life. No damn, I wish I lived upto my prom or damn, I wish I learned to walk. Just a *cry* die. It sounds gruesome and immoral, but things are often different from what they sound like. Partial-birth abortion is WRONG if it is done by puncturing the child's skull. That's just upsetting. However, if it is done in a painless way, theres nothing wrong with it. If no no one want the kid, let's face it. He doesn't have to stay. The world is overpopulated as it is. Also there are not many memories a few minutes into life.... but I think I've discussed that.

And speaking from a religious angle, I'm sure that where ever the child goes after dying (I'm for reincarnation), It'd be better than the situation here on this miserable planet. I know Earth has so much beauty and wonder, but it is indeed approaching a line of control.
            I agree! Couldn't have said it any better
            AIRIGAMI.NET
            http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Comment

Well, would you rather have a child live in an orphanage run by a bunch of adults who are getting rather low pay, and have to care for SO many kids who MAY get adopted by someone or just go to heaven/get reincarnated into something better/ join god/ simply rot away and not feel pain?

Comment

ATLCenter- think about your life...think about everything you have done, think about thte good you have done to other people, the things you have seen, the places you have been. Think about how many other people are greatful that you are here today, even strangers that you just happened to hold the door open for or return their wallet. Now, think about what it would be like if you were never born. What you, and other people, would have missed. You (and everyone) shouldn't pay because some lady is too irresponsible and ends up getting pregnant. Instead of doing the responsible thing, she took the easy way out and killed it.

Pro Choice- Choose not to get laid until you are certain that you could support a child. That is the choice.
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    Well, would you rather have a child live in an orphanage run by a bunch of adults who are getting rather low pay, and have to care for SO many kids who MAY get adopted by someone or just go to heaven/get reincarnated into something better/ join god/ simply rot away and not feel pain?
                    That's not the point. Murder is murder. If a cerial killer gets life in prison, what makes you think an irresponsible mom has the right to kill her own child and get away with it?

Comment

I don't believe in killing babies! It's wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                        You (and everyone) shouldn't pay because some lady is too irresponsible and ends up getting pregnant.

I normally agree with you Herp....but your statement is fairly ignorant. The "lady" you mention, can not get pregnant by herself. It takes two to tango. Her partner is just as much at fault, maybe even more in the case of rape.

Comment

Abortion is the right that a woman should have.
                          Why people always try to take away the freedom of woman?

Abortion gives women the power to control her own love life and her finances, instead of depending on irresponsible men who make her pregnant.

If you don't like someone, you don't want to meet him everyday, let alone have him in your belly for 10 months and have to take care of him for the rest of your life.

Giving a birth to a child and not taking care of him is definitely more tragic than abortion itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolus
                            The word freedom doesnt go with killing.

Comment

Originally posted by c72
                              Originally posted by Aeolus
                              The word freedom doesnt go with killing.
                              Abortion does not involve killing new born babies.

Comment

Working...
                              X