Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown element

Hi everyone,
    In some videoclips I saw that, in some kind of aircraft (e.g. some types of Boeing 737) there is a strange object attached behind the rudder. It seems like a little sphere attached by a thin stick. Is it an antenna or what?

Thanks.

Please provide a link or a photo.
    Thanks

Comment

Trial for a Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD)? Althought from memory the P8's won't have one fitted.

Definately need a piccie.

Comment

What was the name of the set of air data sensors that is ussually towed behind the tail and is used for refernece during test flights to calibrate the standard airplane's sensors?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by emmegi View Post
          Hi everyone,
          In some videoclips I saw that, in some kind of aircraft (e.g. some types of Boeing 737) there is a strange object attached behind the rudder. It seems like a little sphere attached by a thin stick. Is it an antenna or what?

Thanks.
          It's called a trailing cone and is used to calibrate the pitot static system.

More information can be found here:

Comment

Here is a photo of a 737-800 with a trailing cone attached:

At BFI - Sometimes ya get lucky at BFI...meaning those of us who don't live in the Seattle area,Boeing -800 demonstrator taxi's to take off for a test flight. Kmart Airlines N709SW is departing in the background on a clear Seattle day.. N737BX. Boeing 737-8K5. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Oh, I understand. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
              X