Question for WHAT IS A RIGHT TERMINAL photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for WHAT IS A RIGHT TERMINAL photo

I don’t know why all these photos are all rejected with many strange reason.
    The screener said he can only see seat? I think there is obvious gate and bridge in photo.
    To the second photo, I shot it by using my Nikon D850 with automatic exposure, and he tell me for under exposured. More, I shot on 14bit raw, but tell me jpg compression artefacts. Why?
    Screening of these photos I think in a mess. He only give me for casual reasons.
    Attached Files

Hello,
    I am not a screener, and it is difficult to give you advice on such little pictures, but I'll try.
    1. Motive: yes, all three pictures show a very small part of the terminal, so the "bad motive" is correct.
    2. Exposure on the second picture, your Nikon has evaluated globally the luminosity, but it is faked by the high light through the windows, giving the main subject a too low light => underexposed. Then you have to compensate with your post-processing software (Photoshop or equivalent) to give more light.
    3. JPEG artefacts: the fact you shoot in RAW does not at all preserve you from JPEG artefacts! Obviously you do not upload RAW files, but JPEG files which come from your post-processing software. And in this case, there are many occasions to create JPEG artefacts. The first and obvious one being to not save the file at the optimum compression factor (12 in PS). Another one is to enhance sharpening too much... Also, with low light you risk to get too much noise which can be considered as artefacts if not properly handled.

Keep on trying to shoot and compare your shots with the ones similar already in the database, and do not hesitate to ask for ASSISTANCE, but do not blame screeners that are very experienced photographers, surely better than you and me even if I have more than 5000 picture in the database.

(PS: I also got many rejections for such cases of pictures of inside terminals... It's not an easy task...)

Please, relax, and keep on trying and improving your photographer ability.... We are never too competent....
    Regards,

Comment

On my own personal opinion, don't take it too harsh. Again, my own opinion, I don't want to see photos of seats, I would definitely prefer jetways or some ramp views etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimbardier View Post
        I don’t know why all these photos are all rejected with many strange reason.
        The screener said he can only see seat? I think there is obvious gate and bridge in photo.
        To the second photo, I shot it by using my Nikon D850 with automatic exposure, and he tell me for under exposured. More, I shot on 14bit raw, but tell me jpg compression artefacts. Why?
        Screening of these photos I think in a mess. He only give me for casual reasons.
        As you said, you used automatic exposure in the camera setting. I am a D850 user as well, the exposure program tend to reduce the white and highlight in the photo as the CMOS for D850 has less capability in recovering the 'white' pixels due to its dynamic range. Therefore the auto exposure system is NOT a indicator of whether the photo is correctly expose. It can be effected by lots of factors, metering mode, the object you are shotting with...... Enough camera lesson now. So what you shold do is use your sense and the histogram to determind wheter the photo is too drak or too bright.

For the JPG artefact, the color depth setting in .NEF (raw) does NOT effect any thing if you exported as JPG or viewed on your computer monitor since JPG only support up to 8-bit. The artefact usually occurs while you compressing the edited image in Ps, Lrc or C1.... All my terminal photos are actually taken on my iPhone, so nothing to do with 14-bit depth when you are using JPG.

For the 'Motive' rejection. Well, i am not a screener, but the 'Motive' reason is actually self-explanatory in your comment. Your first and last photo did not show enough features in a 'Terminal', ony the seats and banner cannot tell this is a terminal or give enough infomation, btw, many railway station station has the same config. That also explains why you did not get motive rejection for your second photo as people can easily tell it is a airport terminal through those gates in customs.

Lastly, dont be so aggresive when you posting a 'Question' and asking for help. Enjoy taking photos and uploading to JP, but also learn from your mistakes.

Best,
        Kenny Ho

Comment

My question is why there is always an inconsistency between the reject reasons for the original upload and the corresponding appeal. Like, the reject reason for the photo upload was 'compression artefacts' and for the corresponding appeal was 'no compression artefact but lack of contrast'. It's not just me who has this situation.

Comment

Here is histogram of second photo, I think it looks good?
            I always export my photo in LRc with best quality, and check the photo carefully, I don’t find any sign of jpg artefact.
            Lastly, I check other terminal photos from jp, also find many ‘seat’ photos, I don’t know what’s the guideline of ‘terminal’ and choose what for photos of departure hall.
            Attached Files

Comment

Right, one of my photo reject for horizon unlevel but receive ‘Admin Comments >> Horizon is ok but contrast is not well.’
              I really would like to know weather the rejection is random or not. Once give only one reason, and reupload next time, then reject for another time, I think this waste time for both.

Comment

According to https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10872404,I think maybe it shouldn't be rejected for bad motive.Just as the picture in the link is all seats

Comment

Originally posted by Kongkong View Post
                  According to https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10872404,I think maybe it shouldn't be rejected for bad motive.Just as the picture in the link is all seats
                  I agree this one should also have been rejected. Still not a reason for making such screening mistakes again by accepting your photo.

Basically ask yourself "what am I trying to show with my terminal photo ?" If the main subject is architecture or a clear aviation content then so be it, but if seats or counters are the main subject, then the motive becomes an issue.

Good terminal photos are pretty rare because most people tend to snap a terminal photo for the numbers instead of the quality. I would recommend first walking around the terminal, know the building and look for the most appealing angles.

Hope it helps

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post

I agree this one should also have been rejected. Still not a reason for making such screening mistakes again by accepting your photo.

Basically ask yourself "what am I trying to show with my terminal photo ?" If the main subject is architecture or a clear aviation content then so be it, but if seats or counters are the main subject, then the motive becomes an issue.

Good terminal photos are pretty rare because most people tend to snap a terminal photo for the numbers instead of the quality. I would recommend first walking around the terminal, know the building and look for the most appealing angles.

Hope it helps

Alex
                    Thank you for your reply. I thought these pictures were acceptable, from now on, I’ll take other subject of terminal photograph. Photographing terminals is a way for me to document the airports I've been to, I will try another way to record it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post

Hope it helps

Alex
                      Do you mind providing some good terminal photos as a screener?

Comment

Working...
                      X