Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera and lens recomendations

Greetings everybody.

I am considering upgrading my current Canon 2000D and Canon 55-250mm lens to something more advanced. I am planning to have a budget of about 4000 Euros. I was considering purchasing the Canon 90D and the Canon 100-400mm II lens. If you have any other recommendations for gear in that price range, then i'd like to hear it, although i am most comfortable using Canon, other brands are welcome too. I will mostly be shooting commercial airliners with the occasional millitary aircraft.

Happy spotting!

I would not suggest to invest in a DSLR today. I would look at RF system camera. Which, I really do not know as a Nikon user.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      I would not suggest to invest in a DSLR today. I would look at RF system camera. Which, I really do not know as a Nikon user.
      I'm not too familiar with Canon's RF lineup so i'm not sure which one is best for me

Comment

Canon R5 with an RF 100-500 lens would be great.

Comment

I think the Canon 90D and the Canon 100-400mm II lens are good choices.  
          I think that it is enough performance to upload to JetPhotos.
          No need to worry about vignetting.

I bought the R6 mk II + RF lens about half a year ago and the viewfinder does not match reality. (It's because I'm not used to it...)
          I can't feel the glare!
          I don't understand the flashing of the anti-collision light!  

I think that night photography and fighter planes will demonstrate their abilities, but they are still unknown.    
          Of course, I'm not denying RF systems!  
          Expensive though!​

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_F View Post
            I think the Canon 90D and the Canon 100-400mm II lens are good choices.  
            I think that it is enough performance to upload to JetPhotos.
            No need to worry about vignetting.

I bought the R6 mk II + RF lens about half a year ago and the viewfinder does not match reality. (It's because I'm not used to it...)
            I can't feel the glare!
            I don't understand the flashing of the anti-collision light!  

I think that night photography and fighter planes will demonstrate their abilities, but they are still unknown.    
            Of course, I'm not denying RF systems!  
            Expensive though!​
            I researched a bit more and thought perhaps the r6 mk ii and rf 100-400 would've been a good option too, but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by darazarbaf View Post
              Canon R5 with an RF 100-500 lens would be great.
              What about the R6 MK II and RF 100-500?

Comment

A lot of considerations to make when buying new gear.

1. Do you want full frame or cropped? (each has plus and minus to it.)

2. EF or RF? EF will save money but RF is more future proof.

I personally sold my 90D and bought the R6ii and use it with the EF 100-400mkii. Works flawlessly but sometimes I miss having to not crop images as much as i do now with the FF sensor.

Do your research and best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by stormidema View Post

This would be my ideal new kit combo if I had the money!

I'm currently running a 6D2 and EF 100-400 mk2. My next step will probably be to change to a R62 and keep the EF lenses for now using the converter.

The R7 and R10 are also worth looking at if you want a crop body and not FF.
                  Last edited by B7772ADL; 2023-08-13, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by stormidema View Post

That would be great too.

Comment

If you are keeping the Canon system RF is the way to go. Better autofocus and frame rates. Canon EF Glass works flawlessly with a genuine Canon EF to RF converter.

I have upgraded to the R6II and love the camera. I have kept my 100-400 MkII and use it on the R6II and a 7dII. With airborne shots the lack of reach with the R6II is significant. I almost always use the R6II and only use the 7d2 when a longer reach is required (400mm with the crop frame camera is an effective 640mm in full frame terms)

Try taking some test shots with your 55-250 set at 155mm and 250mm, this will give you an idea of the difference a 1.6 crop frame camera can make in reach.

Have fun choosing.

Comment

I just recently switched from 6dmk2 to R6mk2, I'm using it with the 100-400 II EF lens, which works like a charm with the EF-R adapter. AF on the R6 is simply mindblowing. Much faster, covers whole area of the frame and it's pin sharp. Also 12fps on mechanical shutter is a huge step forward, not mentioning 40fps electronic - but keep in mind, that with the electronic shutter you might experience rolling shutter effect, and you'll need a fast memory card to clear the buffer.

As far as I know, the R8 has the same AF system, so this might be a way to go. It has it downsides, like smaller battery, but it's significantly cheaper than the R6mk2. You can also look for the used R6mk1, or R7 if don't need full frame sensor. One way or the other - if can suggest anything, go mirrorless.

Oh, and Canon offers a cashback on some of their gear until the end of August, at least on EU market - you might wanna check that. In case of R6mk2 it's around 220 euros
                        Last edited by pawelm; 2023-08-19, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                          Man, it sometimes is difficult to find you. Although after more than 15 years we still share the same home airport ... (!).

But now, zwischen den Jahren, as we say here at Lohausen Intl, I thought, I'm slowly gettin old here in this forum (!) harr, but I'm not the man who

with Echo Delta Delta Lima

has gathered the most years here in this forum. That burden (?!) obviously is for you, if it is a burden. More than 15 years here for me have been a pleasure.

But your number is 20 (!) . For more than 15 years I've not expected a Silver Medal. But for 20 years you probably deserve Gold.

Allerbeste Grüße für die Zeit zwischen den Jahren, und uns allen, insbesondere den beinahe zwanghaft seit 40 (in meinem Fall)

oder 50 Jahren mit DUS verbundenen Männern einen wirklich schönen Jahreswechsel hinüber nach 2024.

Dear greetings!

And now back on topic.

PS: Das alte Flughafenrestaurant im Terminal C, lange bevor KFC und McD aufgemacht haben... Und die Besucherterasse oben auf B? Ich warte ja noch auf den Tag an dem wir mal EDDL Geschichten austauschen!
                          Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-12-28, 02:27. Reason: Lohausen Intl airport, est. 1927 .
                          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
                          X