Inconsistent Screening Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent Screening Standards

Normally I'd ignore minor disputes in screening standards, but today has been a new low. The following five photos were rejected for bad composition:
    Photo ID: 11313050 11313028 11313001 11312950 11311013​

To put it into perspective, each photo was stacked with 5 other accepted photos taken at the same location or with identical angles. With no notable changes in vertical centering, 4 of the 5 photos were rejected solely for bad composition.

Additional inconsistent screening problems include different standards regarding sharpness. The same photo rejected for soft could end up as oversharpened with a minor USM sharpening with 20%, radius 0.2. Occasionally unsharpened photos could even end up as oversharpened, despite no sharpening whatsoever applied. It is absurd that to get a photo accepted one has to manually blur certain parts of the photo (most likely livery edges or control surfaces).

Identical screening problems have been encountered by multiple members of my spotter group, including some long-time site contributors with very high acceptance records. We hope that either the screening process could be significantly expedited or the screening standards could be more consistent. At this time unfortunately it is neither of those.
    Attached Files

Hi,

Have you taken advantage of the appeal process if you think your photos were wrongly screened?

Positing a composite blur doesn't help identify the center because I can't really make anything concrete from it at all, but they do look high in the frame.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
      Hi,

Have you taken advantage of the appeal process if you think your photos were wrongly screened?

Positing a composite blur doesn't help identify the center because I can't really make anything concrete from it at all, but they do look high in the frame.

Regards.
      I am posing the stacked photos as a comparison to previously accepted photos, as there are no clearly defined standards for vertical centering. Photo 11311013 has been appealed and rejected. The rest are awaiting the appeal cooldown.

Comment

Guess you need to lower your aircraft a bit. The length of two double arrow lines should be the same.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-08 16_36_09 cr + arrows.png
Views:	441
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1171311

Comment

Originally posted by LuftSpotter View Post
          Guess you need to lower your aircraft a bit. The length of two double arrow lines should be the same.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-10-08 16_36_09 cr + arrows.png Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	1171311
          As the aircraft is in a slight nose-up position this is how I did the vertical centering. The main landing gear was taken into consideration in addition to the fuselage. Based on past examples I suspect the screeners do not factor landing gear (or at least not as much as ground photos) in composition for ground-to-air shots. Such rejections have never occurred to me for aircraft on the ground.

Name:	IMG_9496S.png
Views:	412
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1171316

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Hammer View Post
            As the aircraft is in a slight nose-up position this is how I did the vertical centering. The main landing gear was taken into consideration in addition to the fuselage. Based on past examples I suspect the screeners do not factor landing gear (or at least not as much as ground photos) in composition for ground-to-air shots. Such rejections have never occurred to me for aircraft on the ground.

Name:	IMG_9496S.png
Views:	412
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1171316
            I agree with the above view, it is indeed too high
            “A good indicator for side-on shots is to center the area between wings and window line. If an aircraft is just about to touch down, centering the area covered by the aircraft and runway might also work.”--Upload guidelines

Comment

Originally posted by YsMilan View Post

I agree with the above view, it is indeed too high
              “A good indicator for side-on shots is to center the area between wings and window line. If an aircraft is just about to touch down, centering the area covered by the aircraft and runway might also work.”--Upload guidelines
              What is mentioned in the guideline does not factor in the landing gear. I believe, from an aesthetic perspective, that when the landing gear is down the aircraft should be framed higher to compensate for the balance of the picture. This is more evident for certain aircraft that have a comparatively large fuselage-height-to-length-of-landing-gear ratio: for a 777 it can be as high as 3:1 while for an F35 it is close to 1.

Name:	image.png
Views:	399
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1171326Click image for larger version

Name:	1696827973385.png
Views:	382
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1171327​​

Comment

You are totally off track and your frustrated post certainly won't help you.
                Instead use the pre screening forum if you have any doubts.​

Comment

Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
                  You are totally off track and your frustrated post certainly won't help you.
                  Instead use the pre screening forum if you have any doubts.​
                  This is not a pre-screening request. I am perfectly aware of the reason of rejection. The aim of this post is to put forward and contest the inconsistency regarding certain screening standards that can be objective in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Hammer View Post

What is mentioned in the guideline does not factor in the landing gear. I believe, from an aesthetic perspective, that when the landing gear is down the aircraft should be framed higher to compensate for the balance of the picture. This is more evident for certain aircraft that have a comparatively large fuselage-height-to-length-of-landing-gear ratio: for a 777 it can be as high as 3:1 while for an F35 it is close to 1.

Name:	image.png
Views:	399
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1171326Click image for larger version

Name:	1696827973385.png
Views:	382
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1171327​​
                    So here’s the thing, all the guidelines call for is the fuselage and you add the landing gear, which of course you can feel is better, but it goes against the guidelines

Comment

As the posts above note, all centering is done by the top and bottom of the fuselage. Gear and the window line have never been attributes of centering. If you stick to those guidelines, you should have no issue regardless of angle of landing, taking off, etc.

Comment

Simply use the highest point and lowest point of the fuselage as fixed points. If the distance to the end of each side of the picture is the same, you did it correctly.
                        No matter which angle the aircraft has.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	new.jpg Views:	0 Size:	378.0 KB ID:	1171411
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X