Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today’s most popular, or the competition for the top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MARK0 View Post

Its always Joshua Bully's photos at the top recently.....
    correct
    Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
    If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
    ——————————————————————————

Comment

Originally posted by TRTPUwU View Post

correct
      Also vaclav kudela and brian antonov

Comment

yeah, but vaclav is a bit more understanable, as he posts old first regs

Comment

Whether or not people spam photos on social media sites, it is interesting how some photos end up at the top for no apparent reason and others get buried. For instance, here's a photo that was the most popular of the whole week on Planespotters https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...rbus-a320-271n.

And uploaded to JP a week or so later, relatively little engagement. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/11233712. I assumed, based on the unexpectedly strong performance on PS, it would do well on JP, but it really was just received as an average photo. Weird!

Basically, sometimes there's no apparent reason some photos do well or not. I think it's often times luck, that a photo will appear right at the top of the 'Latest photos' section and get a lot of view that way, or end up among the 4 featured 'new registrations' section and then get a lot of traction that way.

Comment

If his main concern is to be with artificial means the most popular of the day on an internet page with an uninteresting photo, it's just that his life is very empty, and we sincerely pity him.

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post
              I assumed, based on the unexpectedly strong performance on PS, it would do well on JP
              ...revealing the mindset of "a shot has to perform"... no? why? Isn't it a personal collection of one's spotting activities in the first place? And in the second place, it would be a platform where outstanding shots can be shared with the public. Performance? Not on purpose.

Besides, the sheer maths behind the front page make it a pointless discussion here. The counter looks at the past 24h. If for the past 24h other shots have been more popular, but the "boring" (subjective!) shot was among many other "boring" shots the relatively most popular in the past 23h, it will go to top for the next 1 hour even with very few hits after 23h. Then it appears on the front page for its last hour of the 24 and the counter goes up by the minute because all viewers think "hm, what's up with this otherwise boring shot". If you, by coincidence are online in this very hour, you are also a "victim" to a "boring" shot.

Yes, some folks post their pics on a regular basis, but some don't and they are still making to the front page. And again, everything is subjective. 500 people with a different opinion could well push that "boring" shot to the top. So what? No need to put oneself's opinion above other's.
              Last edited by bleuair; 2024-03-12, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair View Post
                ...revealing the mindset of "a shot has to perform"... no? why? Isn't it a personal collection of one's spotting activities in the first place? And in the second place, it would be a platform where outstanding shots can be shared with the public. Performance? Not on purpose.

Besides, the sheer maths behind the front page make it a pointless discussion here. The counter looks at the past 24h. If for the past 24h other shots have been more popular, but the "boring" (subjective!) shot was among many other "boring" shots the relatively most popular in the past 23h, it will go to top for the next 1 hour even with very few hits after 23h. Then it appears on the front page for its last hour of the 24 and the counter goes up by the minute because all viewers think "hm, what's up with this otherwise boring shot". If you, by coincidence are online in this very hour, you are also a "victim" to a "boring" shot.

Yes, some folks post their pics on a regular basis, but some don't and they are still making to the front page. And again, everything is subjective. 500 people with a different opinion could well push that "boring" shot to the top. So what? No need to put oneself's opinion above other's.
                You hit my point with the second paragraph, that there is a good bit of randomness involved, which was the point of this comment: "Whether or not people spam photos on social media sites".

Mindset of a shot has to perform? Not really, just recognizing and musing about the variance that exists with a large enough sample size. FWIW, I didn't once make mention of 'boring shots' or anything like that. One could simply look at my profile and see how many of my shots are (boring) parked planes, because that's what my most local airport offers

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post

You hit my point with the second paragraph, that there is a good bit of randomness involved, which was the point of this comment: "Whether or not people spam photos on social media sites".

Mindset of a shot has to perform? Not really, just recognizing and musing about the variance that exists with a large enough sample size. FWIW, I didn't once make mention of 'boring shots' or anything like that. One could simply look at my profile and see how many of my shots are (boring) parked planes, because that's what my most local airport offers
                  Nothing is boring if you see it with the right angle

Comment

Working...
                  X