Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vignetting Problem - Help Needed

Hello there,

I sometimes have a vignetting issue with my camera / lenses and I don't know how to get rid of that. As far as I know vignetting is more visible with blue skies and thats where I have the issue, yet not always. I also have the issue with a bit more bland/ whiter / greyer skies, it shows basically more prominent when there is no real background or there are no clouds in the background. I experienced the issue with my Canon 28-300 L lens as well as with my 150-600 Sigma Sports for Canon. But as already said not everytime. I had situations where it was in every shot of the sequence but not with every different aircraft on the same day and only minutes apart and I had situations where it was not on every picture of the same sequence whilst the angle only changed slightly.

I am worried what to do as the in camera lens correction is on. Also, but that is an additional problem, the lens correction in Photoshop/ Camera Raw overcorrects or does not correct enough and does the correction wrong in such cases with a strong vignette. This leads to unevenly lighted backgrounds and a white halo when corrected.

I have that issue with high aperture settings (5,6, 6,3, 7,1(yes I know its more prone to vignetting then, but still shouldn't be that bad?!)), as well as with lower aperture settings (8,0, 9,0, 10, 11, which should have reduced the effect but did not really. The issue is also more prominent when in the maximum zoom range and less when in the lower zoom range.

Shutter Speed was always the same and ISO too in the shots that I compared. The camera I use is a Canon 5D IV. Did someone experience any more vignetting issues there? Because from what I found online there were rumours that the camera might have some issues?

I don't have that issue that much with my Canon 100-400 L or my Canon 70-200 2.8 II L. I do get vignetting there but its less strong and gets corrected well.

I have no idea if I have to have the lenses checked or the camera checked, or if its just some situations or if its the post processing... Any hint or clue is highly appreciated.
    I did not have the time to check the lenses with another full frame body.

Here is an example of the issue I am getting sometimes. Photo was taken with ISO 200, F 9.0, 1/640.

Original:

Original JP equalized:

Corrected with Camera Raw:

Corrected with Camera Raw, JP equalized, which makes the Halo visible (here it still shows the vignette pretty bad left and right but i have picutres where also only the white circular halo in the middle is visible)

thank you for your help and time!
    best regards

PS: Posted in Photography due to the initial equipment issue.

Ciao. The problems could depend on a high framing angle or, simply, on the lens hood not being suitable for the focal length used. In addition to what you have already said, obviously

Comment

With both of these lenses having a large range of focal length (28-300 & 150-600) it becomes hard to produce the same image "quality" through all focal lengths because of how large the ranges are. Hence why prime lenses are normally the best option for specific focal lengths although that's besides the point. I don't know what focal length these were taken on but for these wide focal range lenses especially at the "ends" of the focal ranges, the lens flaws become more visible as the producers would have to compromise on quality by adding more lens elements to reach these wider ranges. Now, more lens elements aren't always a bad thing, but with more lens elements comes more places that the light has to travel through in the lens which has the chance to degrade the quality ever so slightly. A suggestion is to avoid the "ends" of the focal range (if this is indeed the case) if you can and just crop tighter to avoid this but that is just my two cents. If this is happening near the middle of the ranges then my advice above is pointless, but still, a good thing to note.

Comment

Hey,

both of you guys are possibly right, thats also what I found out so far. The 150-600 is apparently also pretty bad at vignetting but others with the same lens seem to not have the issue on a full frame camera whilst others do.. I still think it's strange that it doesnt happen in every situation, I have pictures with blue skies and the correction works fine as the vignette doesnt seem to be too strong. I tend to believe it might have to do with the camera too. Will have to try the lenses on another full frame body to rule out the body, and then maybe have the lenses checked if they are operating as they should. Does anyone else experience such a strong vignette and can give me some insight on how they handle it or if that amount is out of the ordinary?

cheers and thanks!

Comment

I have a Sigma 150-600C and the vegnetting problem is indeed not good, even shotting at aperture 11. I am also on Canon 5D IV. It is especially noticable for blue skies background. Sometimes I can manage to correct it (with raw editor in PS) to be acceptable here, sometimes just impossible. The only thing can help really is to go with smaller apertures (high number) so it is not as bad and have a chance to correct it within PS. I used to shoot with at least F/9, most times 10 or 11.

Switched to a Canon 100-400L II last year, and it is so much better at controlling the vignetting.
          https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/52526

Comment

I think the problems lies with the post processing, not the equipment. Most modern lenses rely on software lens profiles to correct such issues as optical distortion and vignetting. Software vendors such Canon, Adobe, Capture One and DXO provide free of charge a lens profile to correct lens issues. Sometimes this profile is embedded in the software, sometimes this has to be downloaded from the software providers web site. Note Canon does not provide profiles for third party lenses i.e Sigma.

From your post I believe you are shooting in RAW and using Adobe RAW to process the RAW file.

Check your Adobe RAW software has the correct lens profile loaded and the lens correction is switched on. You can download lens profiles from Adobe, but make sure you use the correct profile.

Sorry I cannot help with this as I do not use Adobe software.

Hope this helps.

Comment

It should be related to the lens. I also use 5D4, but I have never seen such a serious situation. My lenses are EF70-300L and EF200-400L.

Comment

Working...
              X