No announcement yet.

Canon Focus Issues (Suggested Settings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Focus Issues (Suggested Settings)

Hello all,

I have a Canon 6D Mark 2 (Roughly 1.25 years old) and an EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6 is ii usm lens (only 5 months old), and I am having issues with focusing on aircraft, specifically in the air.

The settings that I often use are:
    - AI-SERVO focus (I have used ONE-SHOT, however the result is still the same).
    - 1 point auto focus (centred).
    - ISO 200.
    - f/9-10.
    - Shutter speed of between 1/640 and 1/1000.

The focus is worst on side-on shots of aircraft, and the focus is often sharp on the tail section and body, whereas the nose is often extremely soft.

I previously used a EF70-300 lens and did not have issues with auto-focus.

Would anyone who is using similar equipment be able to share what settings they use, or any suggestions about what may be causing this auto-focus issue?

Many thanks, Jack.

Given you are using F9/F10 where Depth of field shouldn't be a factor, I'd question your lens. Is it always on one side of the lens the nose is soft? I use a 6D Mark II & 100-400L Mark II and have no issues with sharpness across the focal range.
    Best regards,
    Dave

Saving the World, One Screened Image at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by davepotter View Post
      Given you are using F9/F10 where Depth of field shouldn't be a factor, I'd question your lens. Is it always on one side of the lens the nose is soft? I use a 6D Mark II & 100-400L Mark II and have no issues with sharpness across the focal range.
      Thank you for the response!

I've taken photos where the nose is on both sides of the image (left and right) and it still seems to be out of focus quite often.

That being said, widebody aircraft and small aircraft (e.g. Saab 340) are often fully in focus, whereas an aircraft such as the A320, B737 and B717 often suffer from the extremely soft focus on the nose of the plane.

Thanks, Jack.

Comment

I have had this issue with the 100-400 Mk2 on a 7d2. The issue seemed to occur with the shutter speed around 1/640, the lens image stabilisation turned on and only when panning.

Try turning the lens stabilisation off and/or increasing the shutter speed. I did not have the issue at slower shutter speeds eg 1/250 sec. with the stabilisation on.

I believe the lens stabilisation and my panning technique were in conflict at around 1/650 shutter speed. This was causing a section of the image to be soft (slight motion blur) on some but not all photos.

You might have to experiment with IS and shutter speed combinations to find what works best for you.

David B

Comment

Maybe I just suck at tracking, but I don't get good results with my Tamron 100-400 unless I'm shooting at 1/1600th or faster. Typically that means shooting at 7.1 and ISO 250 or 320.

Comment

Originally posted by DadatLBA View Post
            I have had this issue with the 100-400 Mk2 on a 7d2. The issue seemed to occur with the shutter speed around 1/640, the lens image stabilisation turned on and only when panning.

Try turning the lens stabilisation off and/or increasing the shutter speed. I did not have the issue at slower shutter speeds eg 1/250 sec. with the stabilisation on.

I believe the lens stabilisation and my panning technique were in conflict at around 1/650 shutter speed. This was causing a section of the image to be soft (slight motion blur) on some but not all photos.

You might have to experiment with IS and shutter speed combinations to find what works best for you.

David B
            Thanks for your response!

Do you find that the focus is much better without lens stabilisation turned on, but with around 1/640 or 1/800 shutter speed?

Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Hurky View Post

Thanks for your response!

Do you find that the focus is much better without lens stabilisation turned on, but with around 1/640 or 1/800 shutter speed?

Jack.
              Increase your shutter speed to at least 1/1250 and keep going up to 1/2000 to troubleshoot. Keep IS on for one series of each shutter speed and turn it off for another series (and jot down your IS settings for future reference). Most every time someone mentions the nose or tail being soft or blurry, it's a shutter speed problem. Keep the aperture at f/8...that's the sweet spot on many Canon telephoto zooms.
              PlaneCaptures: Website | Instagram

Comment

Hi Jack

Turning off the lens stabilisation solved the problem of having a portion of the image being soft. I just got a higher percentage of images with overall softness. Not the result I wanted. Age and shaky hands are my issue.

As Chevelle says, shutter speed is your (an my) problem and image stabilisation is not always the answer to preventing soft or blurry shots.

I resolved my problems by:-

1. Avoid shutter speeds around 1/640 to 1/800
                2. Use a monopod to stabilise the camera where possilbe
                3. A upgrade to a R6II with body stabilisation . I did keep the 7d2 for reach but only use it for longer distance shots at higher shutter speeds or with a monopod at lower speeds

You do need to put the work in to test and see what works for you. I lens is not the issue.

David B

Comment

I know that the stabilization of that lens is 3 ways.
                  1 generic stabilization
                  2 vertical movement
                  3 horizontal movement.
                  I'm waiting for it for days. I currently use a Tamron 100 - 400 stabilized on mode 2 (horizontal), and I have never encountered problems of this kind (except with very open apertures and, therefore, little depth of field.​

Comment

Try take some photos using still objects at home, if the photo is still soft, try adjusting AFMA until sharp.

Comment

I'll update my answer.
                      This shot was taken with the following parameters:
                      Focal length: 400mm
                      Exposure time: 1/800 sec.
                      Aperture: f10
                      ISO:250
                      IS mode 3
                      You judge the result​

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	561.6 KB ID:	1186019

Comment

Hi Jack,
                        My same issues with Nikon and Sigma 50-500 lens (started all with this lens) and currently with no results.
                        Were you able to solve the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
                          I'll update my answer.
                          This shot was taken with the following parameters:
                          Focal length: 400mm
                          Exposure time: 1/800 sec.
                          Aperture: f10
                          ISO:250
                          IS mode 3
                          You judge the result​

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	561.6 KB ID:	1186019
                          today accepted

Comment

Working...
                          X