Canon 100-400 IS vs.Canon 70-300 DO vs. Sigma 80-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 100-400 IS vs.Canon 70-300 DO vs. Sigma 80-400

I want this lens (SIGMA) instead of the Canon 100-400L. My reasons is that I didn't want the push-pull focus because of dust. I read as many reviews as I could get my hands on and are really swayed to the Sigma lens.I have played with the Canon lens but the Pull-push focus doesnt really appel to me: I have to say I'm not sure yet about my decision what to own and what not.

Canon 100-400mm IS-----------------------------------------13.208 kr.
    Sigma 80-400mm OS
    ------------------------------------------8.289 kr.
    Canon 70-300mm DO USM ------------------------------------
    10.360 kr.
    Greg recommended the 70-200mmf4 + 1.4 extender ------------8 819 kr.

Image taken with SIGMA 80-400mm
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/841018/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/841014/L/

Can anyone defend one lens or the other ??

Thanks for any help I might get in this thread.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Originally posted by OY-KBN
    I want this lens (SIGMA) instead of the Canon 100-400L. My reasons is that I didn't want the push-pull focus because of dust.
    Is dust really that big of a problem with those lenses? Thats the one I was thinking of, and I kinda liked the push/pull. I've seen some complaints about them, but nothing serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
      Is dust really that big of a problem with those lenses? Thats the one I was thinking of, and I kinda liked the push/pull. I've seen some complaints about them, but nothing serious.
      Okey this may not be an experienced answer because I have only rented the Canon for a day, anyway two spotters at Roskilde Air show 2005 wanted to get rid of their Canon, because of dusts, also this pull-push kinda bugged me. its not easy than I expected. Maybe because Im used to twist-focusing lenses??

Comment

Any idea how you'd clean dust out of that?

This thread may be of interest to you. Someone deciding on the same two lenses.

Comment

I didn't think I would like the push/pull design, but ultimately came to love it.....I find it quite easy (maybe even easier than a twist zoom) to zoom in and out while panning. I have not tried the other two lenses, but can tell you I am completely happy with the 100-400 IS
          Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
          EF 50mm 1.4 USM
          EF-S 18-55mm
          EF 28-135mm IS USM
          EF 70-200mm f4L
          EF 100-400L IS
          1.4X II Teleconverter
          Canon 420EX Speedlite
          Canon 430EX Speedlite
          Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

John.
            All are good lenses so choose from your knowledge and use requirements.
            By that I mean try and match your lens to your airport..........is100mm to long where 70 or 80 is better.
            The 70- 200 f4 is a great lens but may restrict you unless you can speed change an extender.Don't forget every lens change is a dust spot potential.
            And one of your favourite smilies for you.............

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Greg

PS: with the push -pull it may get very confusing and anoying if you are changing to other types regularly.
            My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
              John.
              All are good lenses so choose from your knowledge and use requirements.
              By that I mean try and match your lens to your airport..........is100mm to long where 70 or 80 is better.The 70- 200 f4 is a great lens but may restrict you unless you can speed change an extender.Don't forget every lens change is a dust spot potential.
              HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
              Greg
              Well since I have yet to try an extender on a lens, I get what you mean about the dust spot potentials which can get that out/away from my list of choices.
              And no im not that quick changing/unscrewing extenders.

Originally posted by medic1
              I didn't think I would like the push/pull design, but ultimately came to love it.....I find it quite easy (maybe even easier than a twist zoom) to zoom in and out while panning. I have not tried the other two lenses, but can tell you I am completely happy with the 100-400 IS
              Its good to see you fell in love with it. I guess I have to rent that Canon again to get better feeling with that particular lens..
              This thread may be of interest to you. Someone deciding on the same two lenses.
              Thanks alot for the link. Just give me a minute to read that.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Greg you're the first that noticed it .

Comment

The main thing with the Sigma is that it does not have the HSM, has this been an issue for anyone as far as focusing speed?

Comment

Ok, forget about the 70-300 DO.

About push/pull, the only thing is that when you have the camera facing to the air, you need to hold the zoom, because sometimes by gravity it will came all the way back, but for doing a fast zoom is better than twist zoom.

So either try to get the 100-400 or the 80-400. Also try to hold them and see about ergonomics, weight, quality, etc.
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                    Its good to see you fell in love with it. I guess I have to rent that Canon again to get better feeling with that particular lens..
                    I was fortunate enough to be able to take a few shots with it and a 10D before I bought it. I thought that it was awkward, even after trying it out. After debating for a couple months between it and a 300 f4L IS prime, I decided to take the plunge and buy it even though I was not 100% sure I could get used to the zoom. A few people on the Canon Photography forum convinced me that I would come to like it....and I did. So that being said, I don't know if renting it will give you an accurate feel for whether or not your going to like it. But, I would definetly still rent it as it will give you some idea of how it is going to be. When you do rent it, however, I would make sure you do as much shooting as possible to give you an accurate idea.

Also, just looking at your original post: I bought the 1.4X TC for use with my 70-200 f4, but still ended up buying the 100-400 about 4 months later. The extra 120mm has come in handy at times.

Good Luck
                    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                    EF-S 18-55mm
                    EF 28-135mm IS USM
                    EF 70-200mm f4L
                    EF 100-400L IS
                    1.4X II Teleconverter
                    Canon 420EX Speedlite
                    Canon 430EX Speedlite
                    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                      The main thing with the Sigma is that it does not have the HSM, has this been an issue for anyone as far as focusing speed?
                      Not for me, it does tend to focus a little slow, but no slower than my 75-300mm, that and if I ever get concerned with "hunting" at airshows (like COS with my 75-300 that almost found itself in a jet intake), I can easily set this one to infinity focus manually and just leave it because this one has that window that tells you how far away the object is that the lens is focusing, or lets you pick the distance you want if you know it already...whatever that thing is called.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I really like the lens

Comment

I really would consider the 50-500mm (even though it's not on your list), Been good for me upto now. [photoid=485861]

Comment

The thing about the 50-500 and 170-500 from Sigma is that the max aperture at 500mm is f6.3, and for cloudy days is not the best.
                          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

It comes down to whether of not you want to spend the extra $$$ for L glass and the higher quality. The f/4 and 1.4x work good for me, although a f/2.8 and a 2x is a dream combo.

Comment

I've had the 100-400 for the last 18 months. I'm pretty convinved that the push pull mech is the cause of the sensor dust that plagues my 20D, but I could be wrong.
                              I like the push-pull, it just feels so natural.

However, I am starting to consider a replacement for it. I'm finding with mine anything over 300mm is pretty unusable (soft), but again this might just be my copy. The IS failed too, fortunately covered by the warranty.

I thought about the Sigma 80-400 recently and it seems the speed of the autofocus is its weakness (from what I read on D-preview forums). There's nothing like the lightning fast reaction from the 100-400.

My current thoughts for a replacement are the 70-200 f2.8 LIS and a 300mm f4 prime, both used in combo with the 1.4x i've already got. Expensive though.

Comment

Working...
                              X