Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix448 - Help with editing / deciding on photos to upload

Hello,
    I recently uploaded a few photos, on one of the rejects I'd like some input from you as I, apart maybe from the overcast nature of the day, need some help to know what went wrong here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JPEG_JP-5882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.3 KB ID:	1102647

Reject reason:
    - Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) (1)
    - Undersharpened (Soft) (2)
    - Too much or too little contrast - Most likely due to general lighting condition
    - Categories wrong or missing (3)

1. The aircraft is mostly centered on this shot. I suppose the reason here is that I doesn´t reach the edges of the frame?

2. Undersharpened: I have the original file here in front of me, it´s perfectly sharp only the background shows a little bit of blur due to being out of focus and the nature of a panning shot, although only very minor. I later exported this photo for upload downscaled to 1280x, standard sharpening for screen-viewing on the highest quality setting in Lightroom. Which part of the frame is considered unsharp / not usable? (I'm currently limited to 1280x, I don't really see how I could pull more sharpness out of this resolution.)

3. Last one, I believe I checked the boxes for airport overview & cargo for this photo. Cargo can´t be wrong so it must have been "Airport Overview"? I suppose that´s only to be used if the photo focuses only on an airport entirely and not an aircraft with a few buildings of the airport in the frame?

Thanks for the help and best regards,

Felix
    Attached Files

Hi Felix,
    I think (1) and (3) go together in this case since it depends a lot on what you want to show.
    Regarding (1), the aircraft is very low in frame and there is a lot of dead space left and right. I think it could be solved if you put the edges of the frame close to nose and stabilizer and close above the radar on top of the tower. Also the photo could need some degrees of rotation to the left since the horizon does not look level. After upload into the queue you can still check with the provided tools for centering, horizon and contrast issues.
    The category for this photo shall not be "Airport Overview" since the aircraft is the main subject. "Cargo" may work (I never used that category, so I am not sure).
    Contrast...yes, likely because of the weather and most likely not possible to fix.
    My quick guess on that.
    Regards AKH

Comment

Originally posted by Felix448 View Post
      Hello,
      I recently uploaded a few photos, on one of the rejects I'd like some input from you as I, apart maybe from the overcast nature of the day, need some help to know what went wrong here.

Click image for larger version Name:	JPEG_JP-5882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.3 KB ID:	1102647

Reject reason:
      - Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) (1)
      - Undersharpened (Soft) (2)
      - Too much or too little contrast - Most likely due to general lighting condition
      - Categories wrong or missing (3)

1. The aircraft is mostly centered on this shot. I suppose the reason here is that I doesn´t reach the edges of the frame?

2. Undersharpened: I have the original file here in front of me, it´s perfectly sharp only the background shows a little bit of blur due to being out of focus and the nature of a panning shot, although only very minor. I later exported this photo for upload downscaled to 1280x, standard sharpening for screen-viewing on the highest quality setting in Lightroom. Which part of the frame is considered unsharp / not usable? (I'm currently limited to 1280x, I don't really see how I could pull more sharpness out of this resolution.)

3. Last one, I believe I checked the boxes for airport overview & cargo for this photo. Cargo can´t be wrong so it must have been "Airport Overview"? I suppose that´s only to be used if the photo focuses only on an airport entirely and not an aircraft with a few buildings of the airport in the frame?

Thanks for the help and best regards,

Felix
      Hi Felix, I screened this one. While sharpening is only a minor issue, the centering and contrast are more significant problems. The former two are easily fixable with a better edit, but the latter is likely not, due to the weather conditions at the time. Images taken in cloudy/overcast conditions will always be more difficult to get accepted.

As for categories, you are correct Overview does not apply to any image with simply part of the airport visible, otherwise half of the images in the DB would qualify.

Comment

dlowwa Sorry for the thread earlier. So starting over copied from the other thread:

I need a little pre-screening help from you. Do you think the attached image will make it through screening, especially concerning the "cut off" reject-category?

This photo is intentionally focused on the fuselage, leaving out a part of the horizontal stabilizer & right wing incl wingtip. I believe this should be fine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG-JP-8936.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	1124519

The photo was taken / framed in camera this way, I have different ones with a similar perspective showing different planes in their entirety. I just wondered if this one would work as I generally really like the shot and think that there is kind of a clear focus on the paint scheme rather than the entire aircraft.

Any help would be very welcome.

Best Regards, Felix

Comment

dlowwa Sorry for the thread earlier. So starting over copied from the other thread:

I need a little pre-screening help from you. Do you think the attached image will make it through screening, especially concerning the "cut off" reject-category?

This photo is intentionally focused on the fuselage, leaving out a part of the horizontal stabilizer & right wing incl wingtip. I believe this should be fine?

Name:	JPEG-JP-8936.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	1124519

The photo was taken / framed in camera this way, I have different ones with a similar perspective showing different planes in their entirety. I just wondered if this one would work as I generally really like the shot and think that there is kind of a clear focus on the paint scheme rather than the entire aircraft.

Any help would be very welcome.

Best Regards, Felix
          Borderline for the crop. You can crop closely like this, but better to avoid awkwardly cropping the wingtip as you have here.

Comment

Hi, I´d like a few more comments on the following image which got a reject yesterday:

Name:	JPEG-JP-3416.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	804.8 KB
ID:	1125711

Reason for the reject being:
            - Backlit
            - Contrast (too little or too much)

Now, I really did hope this image would end up on the site and I have to admit I was quite disappointed to see it getting a reject. It was probably a one time event that this beautiful P-51 visited a local airfield.
            I recently tuned my editing process for JP uploads. Despite being only at a starting point upload-wise, I´m beginning to get a feel for what is needed to get approved and what are good reasons to keep an image for other purposes and not upload. I´d love to keep up a good acceptance rate and didn´t expect this image to face a reject. To be fair in the first moment I was quite baffled and couldn´t grasp both points of the rejection.

From my point of view, contrast looks fine, I asked a few different people and nobody really had any complaints about color or contrast being too low / strong. Generally, the sunlight uplifted the underside of the aircraft so contrast wasn´t too strong to begin with. I didnt get any further comment with the rejection, which was quite disappointing given the fact that "too much or too little contrast" is quite a flexible term.

Also, the aircraft wasnt particularly backlit, sure the angle of the sun was not straight on, but it does hit the engine cowling and forward facing side of the fuselage, a silhouette effect does not appear. It would be nice to get a few comments on the image to see what I´m maybe missing or can improve.

Best regards, Felix

Comment

Hi, I´d like a few more comments on the following image which got a reject yesterday:

Name:	JPEG-JP-3416.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	804.8 KB
ID:	1125711

Reason for the reject being:
              - Backlit
              - Contrast (too little or too much)

Now, I really did hope this image would end up on the site and I have to admit I was quite disappointed to see it getting a reject. It was probably a one time event that this beautiful P-51 visited a local airfield.
              I recently tuned my editing process for JP uploads. Despite being only at a starting point upload-wise, I´m beginning to get a feel for what is needed to get approved and what are good reasons to keep an image for other purposes and not upload. I´d love to keep up a good acceptance rate and didn´t expect this image to face a reject. To be fair in the first moment I was quite baffled and couldn´t grasp both points of the rejection.

From my point of view, contrast looks fine, I asked a few different people and nobody really had any complaints about color or contrast being too low / strong. Generally, the sunlight uplifted the underside of the aircraft so contrast wasn´t too strong to begin with. I didnt get any further comment with the rejection, which was quite disappointing given the fact that "too much or too little contrast" is quite a flexible term.

Also, the aircraft wasnt particularly backlit, sure the angle of the sun was not straight on, but it does hit the engine cowling and forward facing side of the fuselage, a silhouette effect does not appear. It would be nice to get a few comments on the image to see what I´m maybe missing or can improve.

Best regards, Felix
              Doesn't look backlit to me either, though it is a bit dark. Might be fixable with a better edit.

Comment

Hi, got two more photos, each with a short question added:

1. Is it necessary to designate this China Airlines A350 with "Special Livery" due to the pheasant decal or are these considered as their regular type of livery for the 350?

Click image for larger version  Name:	48978_1650967225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	492.5 KB ID:	1135827

2. I´ve been thinking about these kind of photos for quite a while. Are these acceptable for JP or rejected due to the "off-center" look because of the angle? If not, what could be done differently to make them work? (e.g. crop the tail section off down to the logo)

Click image for larger version  Name:	25427_1650214092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	604.1 KB ID:	1135826

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi, got two more photos, each with a short question added:

1. Is it necessary to designate this China Airlines A350 with "Special Livery" due to the pheasant decal or are these considered as their regular type of livery for the 350?

Click image for larger version Name:	48978_1650967225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	492.5 KB ID:	1135827

2. I´ve been thinking about these kind of photos for quite a while. Are these acceptable for JP or rejected due to the "off-center" look because of the angle? If not, what could be done differently to make them work? (e.g. crop the tail section off down to the logo)

Click image for larger version Name:	25427_1650214092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	604.1 KB ID:	1135826

Thanks in advance!
                  As both Images in the question are already in the photo queue, we will not give further editing advices normally.

But i suggest you to have a closer look into the guidelines, where you will find an answer.
                  >> https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...es-new-version

Best Regards from Germany,
                  Julian S.​

Comment

Quick question on a recent photo, light was very bright ahead of an approaching thunderstorm. I´m not entirely sure if brightness is set correctly. Contrast with the rain in the background was pretty heavy and I´m not sure whether I should lift it a bit or leave as is. Any comments?

Best Regards
                    Attached Files

Comment

Quick question on a recent photo, light was very bright ahead of an approaching thunderstorm. I´m not entirely sure if brightness is set correctly. Contrast with the rain in the background was pretty heavy and I´m not sure whether I should lift it a bit or leave as is. Any comments?
                      Contrast/exposure looks acceptable, maybe a bit bright. Very soft, however.

Comment

Hi, I´d like to upload my first proper night shot. What do you think about the exposure?

Name:	JPEG-JetPhotos-.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1171057

Best Regards

Comment

Hi, I´d like to upload my first proper night shot. What do you think about the exposure?
                          Slightly dark but close to acceptable. Quite soft, however.

Comment

Working...
                          X