victhor393 - editing advice/prescreening request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by victhor393 View Post
    According to my editing software (RawTherapee), increasing saturation just slightly beyond the point I left it at causes the orange to go outside sRGB gamut (clip), so I left it slightly unsaturated from the point where it starts to clip.
    Nobody checks the sRGB histogram when screening. 90% of assessments are done with eyeballs only.

This version is slightly dark.

Comment

Okay. This one looks to be in between the last 2 versions I submitted. Plus, it's a bit more saturated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5406.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	1180040

Comment

Okay. This one looks to be in between the last 2 versions I submitted. Plus, it's a bit more saturated.
        Looks like maybe a dust spot next to the tail. Other than that, would be ok for me.

Comment

Great! That one was hard to get right. I tried removing the dust spot.

Name:	_MG_5406.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	572.1 KB
ID:	1180107

Just took these 2 recently. Lighting was great from this location.

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	680.4 KB
ID:	1180108
          I don't know if this composition would be considered acceptable, or if it would be rejected for centering/too far.

Name:	IMG_6605.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	678.6 KB
ID:	1180109
          This one seems okay. Too much contrast, perhaps?

Comment

Just took these 2 recently. Lighting was great from this location.

I don't know if this composition would be considered acceptable, or if it would be rejected for centering/too far.

This one seems okay. Too much contrast, perhaps?
            1. centering, horizon, borderline noisy
            2. overprocessed, noisy

Comment

What about these?

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	484.6 KB
ID:	1180177
              This was taken right after the previous shot. Should be clear of any buildings and street lights, too. I toned down the sharpness, so hopefully the noise will be less pronounced.

Views:	105
Size:	661.7 KB
ID:	1180178
              Changed the "radius" setting on the "highlights/shadows" tool to get rid of the halo. I also toned down the sharpness here.

Comment

What about these?
                This was taken right after the previous shot. Should be clear of any buildings and street lights, too. I toned down the sharpness, so hopefully the noise will be less pronounced.

Changed the "radius" setting on the "highlights/shadows" tool to get rid of the halo. I also toned down the sharpness here.
                1. dirty, overprocessed
                2. overprocessed, noisy

Comment

Avoid highlights and shadows while editing, it will make the photos overprossesed
                  Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
                  If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
                  ——————————————————————————

Comment

I didn't touch the highlights/shadows tool this time, and the dust spot on the picture of the 767 has been removed, don't know how I missed that initially. I tried to match the previous look on both pictures using just the tone curve and brightness/contrast/saturation. The sky color seems okay to me (it seems to be slightly darker on this version of the 767), but could it be the thing that is making the pictures look overprocessed? Plus, I removed a dust spot that was barely visible when I applied an equalization filter to the picture of the Hawker.

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	1180456

Views:	70
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	1180457

Comment

I didn't touch the highlights/shadows tool this time, and the dust spot on the picture of the 767 has been removed, don't know how I missed that initially. I tried to match the previous look on both pictures using just the tone curve and brightness/contrast/saturation. The sky color seems okay to me (it seems to be slightly darker on this version of the 767), but could it be the thing that is making the pictures look overprocessed? Plus, I removed a dust spot that was barely visible when I applied an equalization filter to the picture of the Hawker.
                      1. ok for me
                      2. soft, borderline noisy/compression

Comment

Thanks, that's great to hear. I tried to increase sharpness on picture 2 even further - almost to the limit of the tool.

Views:	63
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	1180516

Comment

Thanks, that's great to hear. I tried to increase sharpness on picture 2 even further - almost to the limit of the tool.
                          Slightly oversharpened now. Won't comment on this one again.

Comment

No problem, since I got it in the ballpark in the end. Hopefully these will get accepted into the DB now. Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the help getting these photos edited to JP guidelines, all of them were accepted. Just yesterday, I had the opportunity to photograph this bird in a delivery flight, and I was very excited at the prospect of getting a "HOT" photo (new registration) in the DB, sadly my 2 attempts were rejected. Now that someone else got this registration in the DB, it's no longer considered "hot", so i figured it would be a good idea to ask for help in the forums.

Name:	IMG_9115.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	1188574
                              The reason for rejection given by the screener team was "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing". I can see the highlights on the right corner of the photo are quite overblown. There is also too much contrast for my taste, but I didn't get rejected for contrast, so it might be fine. Is there anything more that I should fix, or are the highlights the reason I got a rejection here?

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the help getting these photos edited to JP guidelines, all of them were accepted. Just yesterday, I had the opportunity to photograph this bird in a delivery flight, and I was very excited at the prospect of getting a "HOT" photo (new registration) in the DB, sadly my 2 attempts were rejected. Now that someone else got this registration in the DB, it's no longer considered "hot", so i figured it would be a good idea to ask for help in the forums.
                                The reason for rejection given by the screener team was "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing". I can see the highlights on the right corner of the photo are quite overblown. There is also too much contrast for my taste, but I didn't get rejected for contrast, so it might be fine. Is there anything more that I should fix, or are the highlights the reason I got a rejection here?
                                Other than contrast and small editing halo on the tail, don't see any other major issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X