Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vignetting and Canon lens

hi all,
    I recently invested in the Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6l is ii usm that I mount on my Canon 70D.
    However, I hav​e troubles with vignetting as you can see from the image below. This effect seems most visible at 100 and 400 mm focal lengths. Only at 200 mm focal length and aperture 9.0 some 90% of the image seems good. At 100mm there is a brigh spot central on the image. At 400mm the corners are dark. I am quite desparate. Is there anything in the camera settings I can change or should I just throwm my lens away? i applied Peripheral illumination in the canon photo editing software, but that doesn't change anything.

for a higher resolution image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture small.png
Views:	679
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1179579

You might want to get the lens checked out. That looks way too extreme for that lens on a crop camera. Did you buy it new?
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Vignetting should barely visible on a Crop Camera with this lens.
      You can check out how this lens performs on many gear review sites, e.g. here: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=4&APIComp=0 (tested on full format bodies, the grey rectangular in the center represents the crop sensor)

Did you increase the contrast in your test images a lot? It appears to me so..

Comment

I have this lens with a full frame 6D which displays vignetting and is expected for a full frame camera. I use correction in Adobe Camera Raw. However, I wouldn't normally expect to see that on a crop body camera. I wouldn't throw it away but maybe get it checked out. It should be under warranty if it was bought from new. If second hand it might need some attention.

Comment

thanks for all your ractions. No, I won't throw the lens away as it works perfectly well for nature photography. However, it won't work for submitting photos of the African airplanes to JP.
          I bought it second hand from Japan and it worked well for the first few months with many pictures accepted. However, since short I noticed the vignetting and it frustrated me obviously. Can that be due to a shock? I certainly didn't drop he camera/lens but I may need to talk to the family at home or domestic worker...
          no, I didn't apply any contrast to pictures in the example

Comment

Working...
          X