Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who needs help with their scans / rejects?? We can help you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill, in reality there is very little 'International Airspace'. Ideally we would like it listed by the country, in this case Cape Verde as requested.

International Airspace technically starts over the border or 12nm from the coast of a nation, however it is recognised that nations control airspace outside this area. We would like the shot listed under the controlling nation where possible.

Comment

• Anthony...thanks for the reply. I understand why you do this, but would like to clarify. We were flying in international airspace at 12.5N and 21.5W (on the day Debby was upgraded from a depression to a tropical storm). Our flight was under the control of Dakar, Senegal...but was based in Sal, Cape Verde.

Do you think I should I upload under Cape Verde or Senegal?

Sorry for being such a pain in the tuckus about this...but I'd like to make sure it gets into the database (if accepted!) correctly.

Thanks again...Bill
      It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -Rod Serling

Comment

• http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2089795

Look at the rejection reasons.I believe its perfectly exposed and even the contrast if fair enough i guess.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2089821

How abt this? underexposed again?

Should i go ahead and appeal?

Comment

• Senegal would be perfect Bill, thank you for respecting our quest for accuracy.

Comment

• Yash,

The first one is a little dark and low on contrast. If you look at the histogram there are large spikes going off each end of the graph. It's difficult to reprocess your posted image but moving the midtone arrow to the left for a reading of 1.23 helps it overall. This screenshot shows what I mean. You may also have to add some contrast in the brightness/contrast tool......

The second one ?

Wet, dull days are a perfect recipe for dull, low contrast pictures. Here i've added +8 of brightness and +20 of contrast. It could also do with a touch of sharpening as well which I have not added here. Try 2 or 3 passes of USM at 50_0.2_0

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Iranair...

-Set the white point using the top right corner of the white Virgin wall.
              I am baffled by this instruction. I've never heard of a white point in PS ever
              In Photoshop, go to Image...Adjustments.....Curves. In the resulting window you will see, just under the graph box, three little selection tool icons. The right one is the white point. the middle the grey point and the left one is the Black point.
              For your BA pic select the white point tool and left click once in the area you know to be white. The image will instantly stabilise all the colours in it. To see the effect again, use Ctrl+Z to go back one step. The image will revert to the original setting. Ctrl+Z again will reapply the white point setting.

-Sharpen with 2 passes of USM at 50_0.2_0
              what do you mean by 2 passes of USM? i understand the ending, but does 2 passes mean do the same over twice? Also what does this achieve/what is the main purpose of USM'ing more than once?
              Set your sharpening to 50_0.2_0 (Filter....Sharpen....Unsharp mask)
              When you click OK it will apply one pass of that setting. Use Ctrl+F to apply a second time and the same key combination for further applications of USM at that setting. I use multiple applications of low level USM so that I can monitor the sharpening. 10 passes/applications of 50_0.2_0 are the same as 1 pass/application of 500_0.2_0. If jaggies start to appear after one of the passes then I go back one step using Ctrl+Z, create a layer, continue sharpening and then rub out the jaggies with the eraser tool. Flatten the image.

which leads us nicely on to.....

-Select the sky with the magic wand tool and delete it.
              so where it looks like its been compressed? or the entire sky?
              I tend to create my first layer very early in processing, after levelling, setting the histogram and cropping but before I actually start using any processing tools. Doing this means that the sky will always be available in its original, unprocessed state. Including the sky in processing such as contrast, sharpening, shadow/highlight use(a subject in it's own right) is virtually guaranteed to introduce noise and grain and will certainly highlight any noise/grain present pre-processing.

To answer your question...Yes, delete the whole sky. This will delete any processing artefacts, ESPECIALLY haloes that may have been introduced by using the shadow/highlight tool. I would say that if you do use shadow/highlight then the use of a layer and deletion of the sky just before saving is essential to avoid overprocessed rejections.

Comment

• Could I get some clarification on this one?

Thanks.

Comment

• Pilotgolfer,

You defined the aircraft as the subject, which has led to the composition/centre rejection. The motive rejection I believe concerns the fact that you did this and then went on to talk about the other aircraft.

You would possibly have been better off uploading as a ramp shot, defining the airport and ramp as the subject, rather than the aircraft ?

Have to admit that it's a difficult one though....and yes....I was the second screener. The first screener gave just motive and I added composition/centre.

Comment

• Thanks a ton for your explanation Brian! Ill try and re-upload them.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999
                      Iranair...

In Photoshop, go to Image...Adjustments.....Curves. In the resulting window you will see, just under the graph box, three little selection tool icons. The right one is the white point. the middle the grey point and the left one is the Black point.
                      For your BA pic select the white point tool and left click once in the area you know to be white. The image will instantly stabilise all the colours in it. To see the effect again, use Ctrl+Z to go back one step. The image will revert to the original setting. Ctrl+Z again will reapply the white point setting.

Set your sharpening to 50_0.2_0 (Filter....Sharpen....Unsharp mask)
                      When you click OK it will apply one pass of that setting. Use Ctrl+F to apply a second time and the same key combination for further applications of USM at that setting. I use multiple applications of low level USM so that I can monitor the sharpening. 10 passes/applications of 50_0.2_0 are the same as 1 pass/application of 500_0.2_0. If jaggies start to appear after one of the passes then I go back one step using Ctrl+Z, create a layer, continue sharpening and then rub out the jaggies with the eraser tool. Flatten the image.

which leads us nicely on to.....

I tend to create my first layer very early in processing, after levelling, setting the histogram and cropping but before I actually start using any processing tools. Doing this means that the sky will always be available in its original, unprocessed state. Including the sky in processing such as contrast, sharpening, shadow/highlight use(a subject in it's own right) is virtually guaranteed to introduce noise and grain and will certainly highlight any noise/grain present pre-processing.

To answer your question...Yes, delete the whole sky. This will delete any processing artefacts, ESPECIALLY haloes that may have been introduced by using the shadow/highlight tool. I would say that if you do use shadow/highlight then the use of a layer and deletion of the sky just before saving is essential to avoid overprocessed rejections.
                      using your above advice for this and other photos in the future, i have come up with the following

the fuselage is less orange than the first rejected photo. Also with the method you taught me in the last page, would that be a rough rule of thumb for pictures with that sort of light?

Comment

• Just wondering about this photo. If I might ask where is it blurry and I'm a little puzzled about the "Bad Info in the following field(s): Location"

http://www.jetphotos.net//viewreject_b.php?id=2093593
                        If I could get some help that would be great! thanks

Comment

• Brandon: were you in another aircraft, when you took that photo? Of not, the location "inflight" is wrong.
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343
                            Brandon: were you in another aircraft, when you took that photo? Of not, the location "inflight" is wrong.
                            \
                            ok thanks I really was not paying any attention. Now that we have that settled if I might ask about the blurrieness. thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by n777co
                              if I might ask about the blurrieness. thanks
                              That remembers me on the prescreening thread where that pic was shown also:
                              http://forums.jetphotos.net/showpost...postcount=2272
                              In the smaller version you showed there the bluriness wasn't that imminent. The uploaded version shows it much clearer.
                              In the small version it looked like angel No 3 was sharp so it might have had a chance. Hence i didnt mention it in my reply:
                              http://forums.jetphotos.net/showpost...postcount=2274
                              Unfortunately thats not the case in the 1024 pixel version. Even No 3 is blurry / out of focus.

So please if you want prescreening post the version you intend to upload and not a different one because it makes no sense to prescreen something and give a "maybe ok" to it if its not the final version.
                              Peter
                              http://www.vap-group.at
                              http://www.austrianaviation.net

Comment

• Hi.

Had this one rejected for
                                - Over Processed / Bad postprocessing
                                - Too much noise or grain

Does anyone have an idea how to "rescue" this image. Weather was very bad and windows very dirty so I think that's the reason for the noise.

Here's the version cropped and re-sized if someone likes to show his best Photoshop skills

Thanks!

georg
                                ________
                                Colorado dispensaries
                                Last edited by DRS-Spotter; 2011-09-16, 07:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X