X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iranair777 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm getting back into photography after a hiatus of a number of years, hence I'm a bit rusty especially when it comes to editing. As always I'm following Jid's workflow and as a start I have edited the following 2 photo as a test, just to practice a bit before uploading:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7423[/ATTACH]

Original image: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7424[/ATTACH]

I also tested out the difference between JID's basic and advance workflow and found I got differing results. In the following SQ A330 photo, the top one is of the basic tutorial while the bottom is of the advanced. I feel that when I resize the image after editing, the image becomes sharper and ruined even though I haven't sharpened it myself, is my technique wrong? In fact it all feels it is oversharpened before the sharpening process. Overall the image doesn't feel as natural as the original or the ones I see on the website

Basic: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7425[/ATTACH]

Advanced: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7426[/ATTACH]

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

Edit: All these were taken with the D5200. Are there any newer/other workflows around I could try out?
    Hi,

The first needs a bit more contrast but the edit is otherwise ok. It does, however, have issues with centering and appearing to clip the stabilizer on the left side that would preclude it from acceptance here.

Of the second two, the sharpening is acceptable for both, though both suffer from poor contrast (especially the former) that would also preclude acceptance. The stabilizer is also clipped in both images.

Comment

• Hey! What about this? maybe a bit soft? it was hard cuz the weather was so hot.. :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	PH-BGO.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	1015586

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
        Hi,

The first needs a bit more contrast but the edit is otherwise ok. It does, however, have issues with centering and appearing to clip the stabilizer on the left side that would preclude it from acceptance here.

Of the second two, the sharpening is acceptable for both, though both suffer from poor contrast (especially the former) that would also preclude acceptance. The stabilizer is also clipped in both images.
        Thanks for the quick reply!

Here's the first one again; I've re-cropped it and tried to get the plane in the centre as possible. Furthermore, the tail to the left isn't as clipped as before (I've zoomed in and checked). Unfortuantly I can't do better than this as when levelling it doesn't leave a lot of space to play with.

Name:	DSC_0090NEW.jpg
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	1015587

Regarding the SQ, although its a good photo, the tail is slightly clipped in the original too, and that is before levelling.

Thanks for the help

Comment

• Originally posted by Mester Aron View Post
          Hey! What about this? maybe a bit soft? it was hard cuz the weather was so hot.. :/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7427[/ATTACH]
          Yes, this is too soft and is suffering a bit from heat haze. Submitting it at a smaller size like 1024 would likely hide these flaws.

Comment

• Originally posted by iranair777 View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply!

Here's the first one again; I've re-cropped it and tried to get the plane in the centre as possible. Furthermore, the tail to the left isn't as clipped as before (I've zoomed in and checked). Unfortuantly I can't do better than this as when levelling it doesn't leave a lot of space to play with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7428[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the help
            Still a bit low and lacking contrast.

There is also a halo around the tail. If you've got the D-lighting setting turned on, I'd recommend turning it off when doing any aviation photography.

Comment

• Hi guys... I have uploaded shots like this in the past, always getting rejected for "Part of aircraft missing", i just noticed a VERY similar shot to this on the site and wondered your thoughts (I am aware the DHC6 is somewhat out of focus due to focussing on the B747, in the other shot i seen the background aircraft is also a bit blurry) https://flic.kr/p/T43kHC

Comment

• Originally posted by tartanpics View Post
                Hi guys... I have uploaded shots like this in the past, always getting rejected for "Part of aircraft missing", i just noticed a VERY similar shot to this on the site and wondered your thoughts (I am aware the DHC6 is somewhat out of focus due to focussing on the B747, in the other shot i seen the background aircraft is also a bit blurry) https://flic.kr/p/T43kHC
                With a bit better framing, I would be ok with it. You'd have to avoid cutting the nose gear, and leave a little less dead space on the right, but otherwise it could be workable.

Comment

• Thanks Dlowwa... If i cut some of the dead space on the right it would be cutting the DHC6 out (or parts of it out) The pic i seen that is similar has no part of nose gear visible at all, would no nosegear be better than partial nosegear in shot? thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by tartanpics View Post
                    ..would no nosegear be better than partial nosegear in shot?
                    I don't think so, but without seeing a final crop/image, I'd only be speculating.

Comment

• Hi,

Can I get please get some pre-screening advice for this pic, especially the horizon? The hangar, poles, fuel storage tanks and horizon in the background are not fully aligned.

Name:	DSC_7862.jpg
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	1015592

Regards,
                      Siddarth

Comment

• Hello. I have tried some new editing methods and I was wondering if this would be ok for the database.
                        Thanks in advance!

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg
Size:	641.5 KB
ID:	1015593

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddarth.Bhandary View Post
                          Hi,

Can I get please get some pre-screening advice for this pic, especially the horizon? The hangar, poles, fuel storage tanks and horizon in the background are not fully aligned.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7433[/ATTACH]

Regards,
                          Siddarth
                          Due to barrel distortion, verticals will tend to lean inward at the edges of the frame of wide angle lenses. For that reason, at wide angles, it's best to try to look at the verticals in the center rather than the edges to try to determine level. For your image, the center verticals are leaning a little left, so some CW rotation is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by nathnana View Post
                            Hello. I have tried some new editing methods and I was wondering if this would be ok for the database.
                            Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7434[/ATTACH]
                            There's some slight purple fringing/CA visible on the left side, but don't think it's bad enough to warrant a rejection. Looks like there might be a dust spot next to the nose as well, but other than that, should be ok.

Comment

• Thank You!
                              I was also wondering if these photos are level, as in the horizons. I seem to have trouble with doing that. Sorry for not adding the photos to the previous post.

Name:	IMG_4010.jpg
Size:	774.7 KB
ID:	1015594 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4249.jpg
Size:	675.6 KB
ID:	1015595

Thanks,
                              Nathan

Comment

• Originally posted by nathnana View Post
                                Thank You!
                                I was also wondering if these photos are level, as in the horizons. I seem to have trouble with doing that. Sorry for not adding the photos to the previous post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7439[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7440[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
                                Nathan
                                Levels look OK, they seem a tad dak

Comment

Working...
                                X