This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with stupid ....

So I just had a "hot" photo rejected (new livery for existing registration) so I corrected what the rejection said to correct and re-uploaded ..... except I re-uploaded the old picture Bad way to loose a queue slot!!!

Share here the stupid things you've done (if you have ever done something this stupid )

You are aware that you can delete a photo in the queue before it hits screening right ?
    Just go into "Manage queued photos"
    Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

Got a rejection. Was on holiday with no access to the original image. Dust spots only so copied to file on the laptop and removed dust. Reuploaded. Rejected again ???

I had not removed the original copyright bar when I copied the image.

PS. This thread could get interesting. We could have a laugh and also learn something so I'm going to make it a sticky.
      Last edited by brianw999; 2017-06-16, 10:16.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lund View Post
        You are aware that you can delete a photo in the queue before it hits screening right ?
        Just go into "Manage queued photos"
        This was my 3rd "hot" photo upload of the day, the first two took a few minutes before going to screening, this one was in screening almost instantly soooo, I wasn't able to delete it in time (by the time I got to the queue page it was already in screening)

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Got a rejection. Was on holiday with no access to the original image. Dust spots only so copied to file on the laptop and removed dust. Reuploaded. Rejected again ???

I had not removed the original copyright bar when I copied the image.

PS. This thread could get interesting. We could have a laugh and also learn something so I'm going to make it a sticky.
          That's a good one too!

Of course there's the typical one, which happened to me on a trip to the airport back in my early "digital" days, must have been mid 2004 or so.

Prepared the whole thing, figured out where the sun would come out at sunrise, had the plane owner come early to position the airplane, set everything up, wait for sunrise

Here comes the sun, get ready to shoot ..... what's this "Insert CF" on the screen???

Long story short, I never forgot a memory card again, and always carry extras! I always carried plenty of film too.

And wow, a sticky! I feel honored!
          I'm all for helping out others and learning new things, they say it's best to learn for other people's mistakes

Comment

My probably biggest fail was my first ever Antonov. I was super excited and at the airport about five hours before scheduled take off (someone told me cargo planes don`t care about scheduling from time to time...).
            I just started spotting and photographed absolutley everything, so i had at least 500-600 pictures taken when the Antonov slowly moved to the taxiway. To figure out the perfect settings for the current light condidions i took some last pictures of any aircraft and the camera shut down.
            I photographed the An with my mobile phone, bought a second battery the same day and keep them ALWAYS charged.

Another day i overlooked the head of a guy standing in front of me on the picture during the whole editing proccess. But i saw it when i checked for dust with the queuetool, so no slot wasted.

Comment

Oh I've had plenty of moments!

Originally posted by 71sbeetle View Post
              Here comes the sun, get ready to shoot ..... what's this "Insert CF" on the screen???
              Long story short, I never forgot a memory card again, and always carry extras! I always carried plenty of film too.
              Did similar in 2013 except I left the battery on charge in the hotel room - forgot to put it in my camera! Only realised when I took out the camera to start shooting.

I've also left a Canon 60D and 2 lenses in a hotel lobby in Taiwan...

Editing wise I've made a fair few cock ups.

Plus earlier this year I was on a brand new Air Baltic C Series - the weather and light was perfect. Took out my camera to take a wing shot and the lens was broken!
              Life. Win some lose some!

Comment

Hahaha yes definitely!

I just uploaded a few weeks ago about 15 pictures at once

Fast forward 2 weeks later they get screened and one got rejected because part of the plane was cut off .... apparently when I centered vertically I must have moved it left too because the very tip of the stabilizer was clipped ... you'd think in 2 weeks time it was in queue I would notice that lol

Comment

Another one from a recent spotting day, we had an A318 coming in which is pretty rare here in Vegas, so I made sure I was ready for it. On the way to the airport I hit some traffic but I still barely made it to the spotting location, as the airplane was about to pass by me I quickly parked my car and jumped out and barely had time to take the picture, press the shutter and instead of the usual "clack clack" all I heard was "clack" ....... and then it hit me! 2 nights prior I was out shooting pictures of the milky way, and I had left my camera in M with a 15 second exposure ..... needless to say I always check my settings BEFORE leaving the house now.

Also, a few months ago a few local Vegas spotters and myself decided to do an LAX spotting trip, with the highlight of the trip being ANZ All Blacks and Lufthansa D-ABYT retro livery .... Seeing that most of the Pacific arrivals were going to 24R we set up for 24R as ANZ was approaching. 3 spotters went to a special spot and I stayed closer to the famous LAX In-N-Out, as the plane got closer I decided to go to 25L instead, just in case they decided to pull a fast one on us. Sure enough, when about 10 miles out they requested 25L and got it, however I was stuck in the lovely LAX traffic, what should have taken me 7 minutes to drive took almost 30 minutes, we all missed the ANZ. The following day was the day D-ABYT was coming in, but it was scheduled for a 16:00 arrival, and there was really nothing interesting from 11:00 to 16:00 so we were torn between staying an extra 5 hours just for that plane or start the 4+ hour drive home after 11:00. Out of 4 spotters, 2 wanted to stay, 2 wanted to leave. Finally we decided to stick it out and stay for it. The flight got more and more delayed and ended up not arriving until 17:30 or so, at that point all the arrivals from the North East were going to 25L so we set up at the famous Proud Bird restaurant, and there were a lot of other spotters there too waiting for D-ABYT. As the plane got closer the trajectory looked different from others and we realized it was going to 24R instead, jumped in the truck and drove quickly to get the plane. As we got closer (no traffic this time) I asked one of the spotters how far the plane was since I was driving. If we had an extra minute or two I could quickly drop them off at the bridge by the terminal but if it was on short final I'd just pull over in a little parking lot. The other spotter looked at his phone and said we have time it's still 5 miles out .... and right as he said that the plane flew out from behind the tall hotel buildings and right in front of us!!! We drove to the North side of 24R to catch it taxiing back, but it made an early turn on a South bound taxiway ..... we had just waited 5 hours to catch that plane and totally missed getting a good shot of it. This is now known to us as the LAX curse!!!

Comment

Oh damn, great stories there... and the LAX curse, ouch I would have been seriously pissed !!

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                      Oh damn, great stories there... and the LAX curse, ouch I would have been seriously pissed !!

Thanks for sharing

Alex
                      It was a VERY quiet ride home! We were all so bummed!

Comment

Originally posted by 71sbeetle View Post
                        The other spotter looked at his phone and said we have time it's still 5 miles out .... and right as he said that the plane flew out from behind the tall hotel buildings and right in front of us!!!
                        I bet this was the last time that you spotted with him together

Comment

Originally posted by CO777/200 View Post
                          I bet this was the last time that you spotted with him together
                          Hahaha no actually we've spotted many times since

Comment

Just noticed that just when the image went into screening i used the wrong picture with the wrong registration. Resulting in a bad info rejection

Comment

My first one here - Always check the camera settings before a spotting session.

Couple of years ago, I was on a business trip to Chengdu China. The trip was via Bangkok on Thai and as were approaching Bangkok in the early hours, there was a lovely purple-golden hue on the wing that I tried shooting with my Nikon D80. To capture the shot, I boosted the ISO to ~1200 since that was the only ISO in which I could get wing view and that was it. Fast forward 1 week later, I do a full spotting session at Chengdu airport capturing some airlines and aircraft we don't see on regular basis. Return home to find that all pics from the spotting session are noisy as hell. The Nikon D80 sucks at any ISO above 800 and I had forgotten to change the ISO setting back to 100 before spotting in Chengdu. That was the last time I ever used a wrong ISO during spotting.

The positive side though is the experience set me on a path to upgrade to a newer Nikon body

Comment

Working...
                              X