Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Size - best way to reduce the size

Hi there ..

So I am getting along ok with editing using Photoshop until it comes to reducing the size of the image... then things tend to go a bit blurry

I have found I get good results reducing to 1200 x 800 image size and picking Bi-linear. I then apply any sharpening or corrections...

So I thought I would try increasing the size of the image to 1280 or 1600.. although the original image is sharp.. the results for larger image sizes have been soft or a bit blurry

Any thoughts or tips?

Is it best to finish editing and sharpening first - THEN reduce the image size?

I am a bit puzzled !

cheers Phil

First of all you're probably going to need to resize to a maximum of 1280px for the long side for a while. I don't think it matters when it comes to when you resize. I've always done my lighting adjustments, then selected the aircraft and copied that to a new layer, then resized right before sharpening. If they just look soft you need to add some more sharpening. I've had quite a few photos where some extra sharpening and and resizing fixed a very small amount of blur, but blurry photos can't usually be fixed. This is where I learned to edit photos if it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0mpFOHOXJU&t=883s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgPcE9S3MpQ&t=507s. There are ways to do everything he does in photoshop if necessary.

Comment

Hi - thanks for the interesting links
      He doesn't say much about image size and the best way to reduce the size.
      Will keep experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingphilnewson View Post
        Hi there ..

So I am getting along ok with editing using Photoshop until it comes to reducing the size of the image... then things tend to go a bit blurry

I have found I get good results reducing to 1200 x 800 image size and picking Bi-linear. I then apply any sharpening or corrections...

So I thought I would try increasing the size of the image to 1280 or 1600.. although the original image is sharp.. the results for larger image sizes have been soft or a bit blurry

Any thoughts or tips?

Is it best to finish editing and sharpening first - THEN reduce the image size?

I am a bit puzzled !

cheers Phil
        I don't know much about PS anymore, but reading the following https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/photoshop...ing-image.html makes it sound like bi-linear is probably not the best method to use. Sounds like Bi-cubic or Bi-cubic Sharper are the way to go. Try and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Thanks for the link Alex,
          I seem to be getting better results in bi-linear for some reason?
          N830SY. Boeing 737-83N. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

I use bi-cubic sharper

Comment

Hi screeners

Any advice on checking for dust spots using photoshop ?
              I shoot in RAW and there is a tool that is supposed to highlight dust spots . . It only seems to pick out obvious ones.. I have tried turning up the contrast etc..
              I have the latest version of photoshop too.
              I recently uploaded a couple of shots . . Used your check for dust spots tool and a couple of obvious ones stood out.

Also. .
              Do you screeners have a checklist of how you screen new uploads . . Might be helpful.

thanks for your time

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,
                in PS I equalize tones in a copied layer and often I increase the contrast in that copied layer to make the spots more visible. Then activate the original layer (the copied layer will remain visible) and delete the spots (Note: spots will remain visible after clicking on them because the layer is not active on the screen). When finished, delete the layers. Repeat the process to check if all spots found. Very short describtion...there are many tutorials in YT.
                The check-for-dust tool in JP is more powerful and is always good for a final check before uploading. I think there are tools like this available on the net...I just cant find the names.
                Regards AKH

Comment

Hi screeners

Any advice on checking for dust spots using photoshop ?
                  I shoot in RAW and there is a tool that is supposed to highlight dust spots . . It only seems to pick out obvious ones.. I have tried turning up the contrast etc..
                  I have the latest version of photoshop too.
                  I recently uploaded a couple of shots . . Used your check for dust spots tool and a couple of obvious ones stood out.

Also. .
                  Do you screeners have a checklist of how you screen new uploads . . Might be helpful.
                  Equalize is the function on PS that is closest to the check for dust tool on JP, though not quite as strong.

Screening criteria can be found here:

If you have specific questions about them, feel free to ask.

Comment

• Over Processed / Bad postprocessing
                    • Dark / Underexposed
                    Hi Crew,

Can you give me a bit more info on this rejection please ?
                    Any tips on if it can be salvaged?
                    It was taken in RAW .. apart from cropping and sharpening it didnt need much more processing.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks

Phil

Comment

• Over Processed / Bad postprocessing
                      • Dark / Underexposed
                      [B]Hi Crew,

Can you give me a bit more info on this rejection please ?
                      Any tips on if it can be salvaged?
                      It was taken in RAW .. apart from cropping and sharpening it didnt need much more processing.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!
                      Hello, please read here carefully when you get the chance, especially #4:

I've combined your various thread, but please post in just this one in the future.

Editing halos are visible around parts of the aircraft. If you are working from a raw file, it is almost certain that a better edit without the step(s) that caused the halos would result in an acceptable image.

Comment

Working...
                      X