Public transport on your airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public transport on your airport

Well. I only ask for a friend, but what would you say about public transport on airports?

Does something like that exist? And, on a given airport, in how far does public transport exist?

Or doesn't public transport rather exist on an airport that you know?

I only ask because I know an airport where public transport theoretically exists, but not today and not during the next 7 days (not until Saturday, October 14th, at least).
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

It depends:

I’d bet on a bus service at a lot of airports. As to rail?

Off the top of my head and far from comprehensive.

DCA: Great
    ORD: Good
    STL: Ok
    ATL: Ok
    DFW: Not sure
    New Yark airports: Not sure
    Denver: Not sure
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      It depends:

KPIT has rail. And KPHL Has busses.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        It depends:

My dear friend. Even here, it depends. When I started this topic, I rather thought of my home airport, EDDL Lohausen Intl (IATA: DUS),
        in German: Flughafen Düsseldorf.

You can be happy if you haven't tried to leave my home airport by train, because that's only again possible since yesterday late evening, 2230 CEST (Düsseldorf Time Zone).

And even today on this Saturday, the trains come late here at DUS.

I can say that, because I'm back home from a rather long Friday night, beginning with Friday 2230 and back home again only a few minutes ago (!).

DUS: trains.. after two weeks of total closure of the rail track between Düsseldorf and Duisburg, today still not good. Delay is normal.
        And Lohausen Intl has almost all possible ways which you can use to get there: regional trains, suburban trains, city buses, propellers (general aviation), international jet aviation, helicopters, ...

Only a ship or a ferry is missing, although EDDL is very close to the river Rhine (instead of that, we have a highway bridge which indeed is called 'Flughafenbrücke').

The result after all is today: trains instead of 'train replacement buses' on the 'Düsseldorf Fernbahnhof' railway station again. And I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

Train replacement buses are so unbelievable slow, compared to regional trains or suburban trains!

So, (almost) back to normal, here at EDDL!

PS: Forgive me when I have to look up IATA three letter codes outside of Germany. FUE is Fuerteventura, but that's not a question for somebody who had almost become a DE-B763ER jetphotos forum member, all those years ago.

But DCA is.. Washington National . And I since more than 45 years believe in airports who not only wear the name of a city,
        but who indeed are reachable within the city borders (!).

Thus, you can't compare DCA to EDDT Flugplatz ex Berlin Tegel. DCA is open to the public since more than 80 years, and TXL is not (a really sad story).

So. Let's rather compare DCA to DUS. The younger airport to the older, 1941 to 1927. And I love these comparisons.

More than 95 years of aviation, here at DUS.
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-10-14, 08:02. Reason: TXL, a really sad story.

Comment

TXL is not only a very sad story, but also the story of the very last airfield within the Berlin city borders (!!). Now, permanently closed.

EDDT Berlin Tegel ex Intl airport, founded by the French Allied Air Force in the French sector of West Berlin, August 1948.

And closed on November 8th 2020, during the movement of Lufthansa and Air France and all the others, from Tegel to Neu Schönefeld.

This is probably the reason why I'll never move to Berlin (!). In Berlin, history is nothing, nobody cares. The very last airfield within the Berlin city borders?

Closed. After less than 73 years. And I can say, I am a Biden Fan.

So what are 70 years (in comparion to Lohausen Intl, or in comparison to a quite famous musician from Berlin, born December 21st 1942) .
          And not all German musicians share their birthday with the President of France (!).

PS: The result is, Neu Schönefeld, 2 rwys. For a city who by population is bigger than Paris. Emmanuel Macron is two weeks older than me, and my question today for him is,

What would be Paris, with only 2 runways?

Nothing. Roissy, Orly, Bourget, ... In Paris, we find all the rwys which Berlin has lost since 1994,
          Gatow, Tempelhof, Tegel, ...

So. Fliegerischer Nachwuchs ist in Berlin unerwünscht. Sehr schade das!
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-10-14, 09:10. Reason: December 21st.

Comment

All the buses that go around the perimeter of London Heathrow between the terminals used to be free to use on that part of their routes. Unfortunately financial losses suffered by Heathrow meant that this ended last year as Heathrow could no longer afford to pay the subsidy to the bus companies.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2023-10-14, 09:36.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

...For people who live in Tegel and Frohnau, TXL must have really been a home airport. But since November 2020, TXL and Gatow only exist as a quite faded picture,
              with their 4 runways (2 Tegel + 2 Gatow).

And I try to always write against oblivion. I have asked a German route planner, who said, since the closure of TXL, today passengers in West Berlin do not find an airfield which is closer than
              43,6 kilometer, from Tegel to Neu Schönefeld, completely "through the best of inner-city Berlin rush hour traffic", as I call it.

In cooperation with Orbx, I'll try to let live the Berlin aviation situation of 1994 (number of rwys): 2 x Gatow 1842 m each, 2 x Tegel, 2 x Tempelhof.
              Thus, EX 6 runways within the Berlin city borders!!

And today NOTHING of that has survived. This is the reason why I hate Berlin. 644,000,000 Euro for the Humboldt (Einkaufs)forum, which is exactly as ugly as Neu Schönefeld, and these are not my words, but these are (almost) exactly the words of Mr Niklas Maak of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Back on topic.

Tegel or with its even more famous IATA code TXL, was 8,6 km away from Berlin Fernbahnhof Zoologischer Garten ('Bahnhof Zoo'). Since TXL has vanished, the distance has grown to
              43,6 km, between Tegel and Neu Schönefeld. And for propeller pilots (until 5.7 metric tons), since the closure of Tegel I have not again found another airfield in Berlin.

Since the closure of Tegel, Berlin does no longer have an airfield within the Berlin city borders (!).

Not for twin turbo propeller pilots with e.g. a Beech B200, and not either for the bigger Douglas DC-6.

PS: So, what can I do. I'll divert from Neu Schönefeld to Hanover (not to Copenhagen as it seems to be common for Brexit jet pilots from Luton..). From Neu Schönefeld to Hanover,
              since Tegel is closed, 300 km, in an aviation replacement bus. if your pilot does not trust the ILS at Neu Schönefeld during bad weather conditions.

'Applause', for the rest of Berlin aviation which today only happens outside of the Berlin city borders,
              in a village in Brandenburg.

And now Back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                All the buses that go around the perimeter of London Heathrow between the terminals used to be free to use on that part of their routes. Unfortunately financial losses suffered by Heathrow meant that this ended last year as Heathrow could no longer afford to pay the subsidy to the bus companies.
                ..What would be if this topic was 'for jetphotos "Seniors" - with a membership of 10 years or more only' . No difference if you ask 3WE or me.

I must confess that I never in my life have seen the Heathrow International airport. The last time when I was in London, the airline used Luton, and afaik, even until today this 'orange' airline
                is somehow infamous for Luton (and for diversions from Berlin to Copenhagen..). Not a German airline, and, since January 2020 (brexit) no longer an European airline,
                thus, no longer covered by the EU Fluggastrechteverordnung (?!).

But from Luton to Victoria, it was a bus connection which I was able to order in combination with the flights. And this bus was a problem, not the flight, which was on schedule. This airport bus got stuck in the middle of the Northern London early rush hour in the morning, so that probably with a bicycle I could've arrived faster at Victoria.

PS: And I lack another experience, I've never in my life been a British Airways passenger. But I'm here long enough so that I know that BA isn't either everyones taste in Great Britain.
                Or what would you say?
                And two jetphotos members who are here as long as you or longer? I'm able to mention two. So, can you?

Very dear greetings, to my favorite ex super moderator.

Comment

Once that I have so beautiful and experienced guests in a topic which I have started, I should really use the occasion..

During my previous stay in London, I also have seen the Royal Albert Hall. And I know that only one man in Germany is famous for the Royal Albert, according to en wiki
                  by numbers of his evenings (more than 85 evenings) in the hall - only superseded by Mr Eric P. Clapton CBE .

Even in London this man was not called with the name he wrote on his uncounted vinyl LPs, but also in the Royal Albert, they simply called him 'Hansi'.

, with Heinz L. Reincke (1925-2011) as his off moderator.

Now I know that since the early 1980s, RTL radio and later also RTL television, had this 1982 orchestra version as a jingle. The name of the orchestra chef of course is
                  'Hansi' James Last (1929-2015).

And I remember the names Björn Hergen Schimpf, Jochen Pützenbacher and Matthias 'Metty' Krings (*1943 in Gerolstein) together with this melody.

But what was the name of the show, together with this melody?
                  'Ein Tag wie kein anderer' (since 1983), thats what I'd say, always with Pützenbacher.

The internet doesn't quite confirm that, although I'm quite sure.

PS: And I am probably too old so that the internet is not really able to say if I'm right or wrong. But Björn Hergen Schimpf (*1943) is still alive, so...
                  'Einmal noch nach Bombay'
                  is the name of that melody in German.

Comment

Well. I know that I sometimes use a little bit too much beer especially when I'm online here at jetphotos. I once must've said something like.., one or two circumstances in life are better
                    with a beer in your hand.

I don't know if today is again such a day, but for all passengers of EDDL Düsseldorf Lohausen International Airport, I have found this link:
                    Informationen zum Streik am 15. April in Düsseldorf. 

No Rheinbahn buses, No underground trains (dt.: U-Bahn), no trams, and that's not only true for EDDL airport Terminal A bus station,

but as I fear that's true for the whole city of Düsseldorf (!), i.e. also for the Düsseldorf main train station metro station (dt.: Düsseldorf Hbf U-Bahn Station).

PS: Since 1978, I am a fan of the Rheinbahn underground trains. But since this thursday, I'd say,

you must own a car, to be a fan of the Rheinbahn underground trains.

Admittedly, that sounds stupid. But sometimes stupidity is the truth of the month (no Rheinbahn until late Friday evening, i.e. until the end of March 1st 2024).

Cheers (and with the next glas of water I'd replace "15. Februar" by "29. Februar and 1. März", if I were a Rheinbahn administrator ....) .
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2024-02-29, 00:53. Reason: ...if I were a Rheinbahn administrator.

Comment

Well, or should I rather say, not so well, überhaupt gar nicht gut. As I own a Beech B200 simulator, I do not only feel responsible for my home airport EDDL .

The following German airports are also without buses, trams and underground trains:
                      EDFZ Flugplatz Mainz - [Mainzer Straßenbahnen website is just overloaded with web traffic, thus you might try one of these]
                      Lassen Sie Ihr Auto einfach stehen, stressfrei und meist günstiger fahren Sie mit öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln.

Auch am Freitag stand der öffentliche Nahverkehr in weiten Teilen von Rheinland-Pfalz still, Busse und Straßenbahnen blieben in den Depots. Es ist Tag zwei des Warnstreiks, zu dem die Gewerkschaft ver.di aufgerufen hat.

EDDS Flughafen Stuttgart Leinfelden-Echterdingen
                      Die Stuttgarter Straßenbahnen AG versorgt Sie mit alle Informationen zum öffentlichen Nahverkehr in Stuttgart. Erfahren Sie alles Wissenswerte über Tickets für Vielfahrer und Gelegenheitsreisende und informieren Sie sich über aktuelle Fahrplanänderungen und Veranstaltungen.

This list by far does not claim to be complete....

PS: And for the SSB AG I must say the same. If I were Stuttgarter Straßenbahnen Administrator, I'd replace "ÖPNV-Streik 2023"
                      by ÖPNV-Streik 2024 (!) ............... ....
                      Last edited by LH-B744; 2024-02-29, 01:29. Reason: ...if I were a Stuttgarter Straßenbahnen Administrator...

Comment

This list by far does not claim to be complete....

I always wonder and I always wonder since 2008 why nobody since more than 15 years here at jetphotos feels responsible for EDDF Rhein/Main International.

HEY! I can do alot, but I am not Chief Flight Captain Carsten Spohr, who also since the year 2014 is my favorite Lufthansa CEO (!).
                        He (also) must be a LH-B744 lover. And the first man within my favorite airline who again has ordered the B737 for Lufthansa (?!) .

I don't know everything about each and every airport in Germany.

For the news of how many German airports can I be responsible... I'd say five, and all of them have a rather long Lufthansa history (and all numbers are very subjective, based on
                        real friendship or at least long lasting sympathy):
                        1. EDDL Lohausen International (est 1927)
                        2. EDFZ Mainz, due to my love to that astonishingly small city.
                        3. EDDS Stuttgart, or as I call that 'Leinfelden-Echterdingen International'.
                        4. EDDF Rhein/Main, which rather is duty for all LH-B744 pilots, than pure love. Imho not really all LH-B744 pilots are born near Rhein/Main, cp. the LH CEO ...
                        5. EDDH Hamburg. As I said, 100% subjective and based on real friendship, or at least long lasting sympathy for Mr Frederik Braun (*21.12.1967) ...

Nevertheless... also Hamburg is without buses and without underground trains today and tomorrow (!):

PS: Compliments for the Hochbahn administrator... He has the correct day and the correct month and the correct year (!).

And then, after all those years here at jetphotos I have two companions, almost as young as me , who light a candle for me, when I'm not here at least
                        once a month...
                        And that's true even if I write alot of sh**, or especially in moments when I write nothing (!). And that's also true in moments when I think that I've lost these
                        two very special guys. Thanks alot, boys!
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2024-02-29, 04:00. Reason: Austin-Bergstrom.

Comment

Working...
                        X