No announcement yet.

Boeing postpones 787 first flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 747-8F is in production. The first airplane (747 LN 1420) recently went into final body join, and will roll into the final assembly bay in a week or two. Rollout will happen around the end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
      This weeks Aviation Week (page 22) is quoting 6 to 12 months before the first flight. Apparently the failures experienced during structural test were "well below the 150% extreme load level needed for FAA certification."

The article goes on to say that there are 40 sets of structures (wings & carry through boxes) already built that will need an interim fix. Why would any airline take delivery of an aircraft with interim fixes (unless there was a significant price discount). And will Boeing have to repeat flight tests on an aircraft with the redesigned wing interface?
      Thanks for that Highkeas!
      So its looking more than likely that a six month delay will occur
      Will it not be more like 12 months + before first flight?
      I wonder what the customers are saying???
      Was this published before the Qatar meeting??

Comment

Production continues apace on the 787. The farther first flight gets pushed out, the longer until the airplane is certified, the bigger he stockpile of completed 787s Boeing will have on hand. So look for a large burst of deliveries when the airplane is awarded type and production certificates.

Comment

Will there still be takers?
          warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Now don't you worry your little head over 787 sales, el.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal View Post
              Production continues apace on the 787. The farther first flight gets pushed out, the longer until the airplane is certified, the bigger he stockpile of completed 787s Boeing will have on hand. So look for a large burst of deliveries when the airplane is awarded type and production certificates.
              As long as it's not a stockpile of rework to be done...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                As long as it's not a stockpile of rework to be done...
                My thoughts exactly...

How many aircraft are already produced?
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

A must watch will lighten your day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_P77VEPKA

Enjoy BB

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                    That is gold - whoever did the subtitling is a genius!

Comment

" who wants to fly to JFK " .........funny

nice one!
                      He should have negotiated a better price for the A380 before invading France!!

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal View Post
                        So the 1k staff made redundant recently isnīt connected to the B787-programme?
                        I still think the B748 will fly before the B787.
                        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

I think El should post more

so i can see the avatar more...

Comment

Looks like more bad news..

Comment

Boeing have stated that they are confident that the 787 first flight will be before end of 2009!
                              Is this a realistic forcast?

Perhaps they should concentrate on their products rather than trying to derail the European funding of the A350 by going through the WTO!

Comment

That is true there landing-gear...I could see that they could make by the end of the year but wouldn't be surprised if some hic-up arises. When I saw this in the USA TODAY, I just started laughing. I could care less about the plane until its' wheels come off the ground, then I'll care.

USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, and videos.

UPDATE (9:26 a.m.): Boeing this morning announced plans for its 787 aircraft to make its first flight by the end of 2009. The company also said it plans to begin delivering the long-awaited Dreamliner by the fourth quarter of 2010.

"This new schedule provides us the time needed to complete the remaining work necessary to put the 787's game-changing capability in the hands of our customers," said Boeing Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Jim McNerney said in a statement. "The design details and implementation plan are nearly complete, and the team is preparing airplanes for modification and testing."
                                what ever happens......happens

Comment

Working...
                                X