Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone identify this aircraft type by just the underwing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this aircraft type by just the underwing?

The flight is between a makeshift fjordside runway and Yakutat (AK) airport.

I did not have an opportunity to photograph them as they were landing to pick us up, nor did I think enough to shoot a pic on the runway in Yakutat.

Kind regards to anyone who can help!

Hey for location, i think the best thing to use is "Inflight-Alaska-USA". Not sure about Aircraft type.

Comment

It's a Cessna, something betwwn a C-150 and a C-206

Some info you might provide us to narrow the options down:

How many seats? (including pilot)
      Tailwheel or nosewheel?
      Did the wing have struts? (that diagonal rods that connect the lower fusselage with the middle of the wing)
      Retractable or fixed gear?
      Variable pitch proppeler? Or how many controls did it have in the "engine quadrant"? (well, not a quadrant in these planes, but in the zone of the throttle) One black and one red? One black one blue and one red? (in that order from left to right)
      Do you have some other photo from inside? Maybe one looking forward where the instrument panel is visible?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Tailwheel or nosewheel?
        Did the wing have struts? (that diagonal rods that connect the lower fusselage with the middle of the wing)
        Variable pitch proppeler? Or how many controls did it have in the "engine quadrant"? (well, not a quadrant in these planes, but in the zone of the throttle) One black and one red? One black one blue and one red? (in that order from left to right)
        Do you have some other photo from inside? Maybe one looking forward where the instrument panel is visible?
        These are the times where I simply get speechless! Amazing knowledge!!! All I could say is: it was most probably an aircraft!

Not that I contributed anything, but I had to mention it
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
          These are the times where I simply get speechless! Amazing knowledge!!! All I could say is: it was most probably an aircraft!

Not that I contributed anything, but I had to mention it
          What you might not know is that between a C-150 and a C-206 there are about a dozen possibilities, and I still can be wrong because other planes for which I don't know the wing might have wings similar to the Cessna style.

To be correct, all we know from that photo is that it is a high wing airplane with the wings that tapper past the flaps, the flaps are of the slotted type, and the skin of the flaps and ailerons is corrugated to increase strength, and that all that is typical (but maybe not exclusive) of Cessna's general aviation single engine airplanes (except the now Cessna formerly Columbia C-300 and C-350 planes)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

I found in airliners.net photo shows:

That's a Cessna 182.

Stuart

Comment

Thank you all for the attention to this photo and helping me figure it out. I agree wholeheartedly with LX-A343 ... it is sometimes hard to believe how well some people know their topics!

Thanks again, all.

Comment

Originally posted by Big777jet View Post
                Good find! The two wings look awfully similar.
                Besides, the 182 was at the top of my "guess" list.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Tailwheel or nosewheel?
                  I will answer the questions as best as I can, although this was 11 years ago, and to be quite honest, I was much more focused on the scenery flying out of Russell Fjord than I was to the particulars of the airplane.
                  - It was a four-seater, with limited room for baggage when all of us were in.
                  - I think it had a nose wheel.
                  - The wing had struts ... I do remember cropping that out when taking the picture.
                  - I don't know whether the gear retracted. My sense is that it didn't.
                  - I don't know if the prop had variable pitch, either, but from the way he revved up with the brakes held to get a fast start on the short, makeshift runway, I'd guess it didn't have variable pitch.
                  - I will emphasize that I was not focused on the plane much at all in 1999, and wouldn't have thought to take a picture of the cockpit or panel. I didn't take any incidental photos of the airplane while it was landing (everything was packed up).

Thank you all again for helping me nose around the answer with just the limited information I could provide.

Comment

Ok

150 and 152 discarded (two seats).
                    206 discarded (no struts).
                    170 and 180 discarded (tailwheel).

That basically leaves us with the 172 and 182.
                    The 182 is variable pitch and the 172 is fixed pitch (most versions anyway). But what you say about the engine reeving-up before brakes release would be the same. Fixed pitch and variable pitch props reach about the same RMP on take-off.

Because of the photo posted by Big777jet, I'm almost sure it's a 182.

Two additional hints would be:

Room: The 182 is bigger and has more legroom and shoulder room than the 172 in the back seats where you were seated. I am 6ft 4 inches tall and had comfortable legroom in the rear seat of a 182 (ok, the pilot in front of me was not too tall so he didn't have his seat all the way back)

Load: There were four adults and had enough baggage to have problems accommodating it? How long was the flight? (an idea of how much fuel must have been on board at least). The 172, while having 4 seats, can hardly take 4 adults without luggage, or even 3 and some baggage, with more than little fuel.

Odds are it was a Cessna C-182.

Comment

Working...
                    X