No announcement yet.

UA launches Washington-Lagos, Nigeria!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA launches Washington-Lagos, Nigeria!

United Airlines today announced the schedule for the airline’s new service between Washington and Lagos, Nigeria, United’s second destination on the African continent, beginning Dec. 12, 2010.

“This service will facilitate stronger commercial and cultural ties between the United States and Nigeria, while providing new options and convenience for travelers on both sides of the Atlantic.” United 990 will depart Washington Dulles International Airport daily at 10:43 p.m., arriving at Lagos’ Murtala Muhammed International Airport at 5:35 p.m. the next day after a stop in Accra, Ghana.

U.S.-bound service from Lagos begins Dec. 13 with the departure of United 991 at 9:30 p.m. After a stop in Accra, the flight will arrive in Washington the next day at 6:11 a.m.
    Flights to Lagos will be operated with Boeing 767 aircraft, featuring United’s International Premium Travel Experience.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Lagos-Nigeria
    Finally, US carriers seeing the potential in Africa. It's great to see that UA is moving ahead with new markets, and that DL is growing well in the reigon. Hopefully, we will see other US carriers following suit!
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    Finally, US carriers seeing the potential in Africa. It's great to see that UA is moving ahead with new markets, and that DL is growing well in the reigon. Hopefully, we will see other US carriers following suit!
    One of the very first passengers booked on the return flight from Lagos is Dr. Olbutukunde Obanaganwa, who is coming to the US to discuss a transfer of a sum of $236 million USD with me as a trusted partner.

On a more serious note, is anyone else getting the sinking feeling that Africa is getting some attention largely due to current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and that, should said occupant be removed therefrom in 2012, the very existence of Africa will once again be largely forgotten by US carriers?

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
      On a more serious note, is anyone else getting the sinking feeling that Africa is getting some attention largely due to current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and that, should said occupant be removed therefrom in 2012, the very existence of Africa will once again be largely forgotten by US carriers?
      The previous resident at that address placed a lot of attention on Africa. In fact, it is commonly cited as his only successful initiative. Aside from that, I see no logic in your statement. But as you like to say, logic is not particularly welcome here.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        Does this actually mean there will be a non-stop UAL flight from Washington to Accra?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          The previous resident at that address placed a lot of attention on Africa. In fact, it is commonly cited as his only successful initiative. Aside from that, I see no logic in your statement. But as you like to say, logic is not particularly welcome here.
          My point (which you missed, not surprisingly) was that US carriers didn't seem in any great hurry to start flying there during the previous resident's reign. It wasn't until well after the crowning of the current one that press releases from Delta (for example) lauding great excitement about places like Dakar and Abuja started appearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
            My point (which you missed, not surprisingly) was that US carriers didn't seem in any great hurry to start flying there during the previous resident's reign. It wasn't until well after the crowning of the current one that press releases from Delta (for example) lauding great excitement about places like Dakar and Abuja started appearing.

I could see your point, except that Delta was flying to Africa long before Obama took office, and has always wanted to expand service to the continent. If it weren't for security concerns, Nairobi would already be on Delta's african route list as well. And yes, maybe Obama taking office has spurred more demand and interest in US-Africa travel, but that's not really a bad thing for US airlines, now is it...

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27 View Post
              And yes, maybe Obama taking office has spurred more demand and interest in US-Africa travel, but that's not really a bad thing for US airlines, now is it...
              We'll see...

Comment

UA already serves ACC, right? So is this just an extension of the ACC flight to LOS?
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Does this actually mean there will be a non-stop UAL flight from Washington to Accra?
                  Unless I am incorrect, they already serve Accra. Or, at least, that's what the article alluded to. Is there a tech. or security stop that they normally employ on the route?

Originally posted by CathayPacific View Post
                  UA already serves ACC, right? So is this just an extension of the ACC flight to LOS?
                  That's what the article implied, that (as is the case with the majority of services to Africa) there is a stop involved at another African city. I do not know, though, if it is for tech. reasons (if the 767 cannot make the Lagos-Washington route with that amount of fuel) or, if it is for security reasons, or both. But, to be certain, the article does state that the actual routing for the flight is planned as Washington - Accra - Lagos (and reverse).

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27 View Post
                    I could see your point, except that Delta was flying to Africa long before Obama took office, and has always wanted to expand service to the continent. If it weren't for security concerns, Nairobi would already be on Delta's african route list as well. And yes, maybe Obama taking office has spurred more demand and interest in US-Africa travel, but that's not really a bad thing for US airlines, now is it...

To add to your point, I think also, that it is only under the past few years (since around 200 that we have seen such massive mergers and consolidation within the area. I honestly believe that if DL had the resources earlier, they would have launched (and had by now) a much larger presence in Africa. The combination of resources (in the post NW/DL world) enabled them to expand, and by the grace of God, they did so logically and well.

I think that with UA being able to focus as they have had to, due to sparse resources, they understood that they could/should not solely launch routes along their usual strongholds. Recently their expansions have included Dubai, Kuwait and Bahrain (not sure about how long they have been serving these markets, but I am sure that Dubai is fairly recent - only a few years/months old). UA saw how volatility in the Asian market can and has hurt them. During the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis, and then again with SARS, they saw that not being properly diversified was a disaster. It's time for expansion, and with the new resources brought from CO, we are likely to see smarter planing, and perhaps, a stronger, leaner, and smarter airline.

Comment

Working...
                    X